Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

The most boring architecture that I have ever seen in the nation would probably be in Florida. Too many boring stucco houses. Charlotte has a lot of boring architecture as well, except for the areas immediately surrounding the downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 02:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Minneapolis by far,

What i do like about Minneapolis is how some of the neighborhoods have a bohemian, artsy vibe....

Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Definitely the Sunbelt cities (Florida, Texas and Arizona mostly) that were largely built out in the 80s and 90s.
I wouldn't be too quick to generalize these places. While there is a lot of stucco, there is also quite a bit of some nice mid-century modern architecture in Phoenix (many homes/businesses have been/going through renovation/refurbishing).

Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 PM

345 posts, read 1,030,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I wouldn't be too quick to generalize these places. While there is a lot of stucco, there is also quite a bit of some nice mid-century modern architecture in Phoenix (many homes/businesses have been/going through renovation/refurbishing).
This. Arizona is not boring at all. Even in Phoenix, there's nice historic neighborhoods in the downtown corridor and Scottsdale has a lot of nice architecture as well as Tucson

Old 03-27-2013, 03:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Almost every City in South Orange County CA. Endless suburban sprawl, nearly identical snout houses, nearly identical strip malls and scattered low rise rectangular office buildings. If you pass out at a bar in one city and wake up in a different one you have to ask which one you are in because they all look the same, miles and miles of conformity.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Any Sun City.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,080 times
If the city is more suburban than urban, then it is, because suburban design was made with no care for any architectural quality. Most sunbelt cities (as mentioned before) have either replaced the good with the bad, or were nothing but small towns before the suburban era, so most buildings are from the architectural era of neglect and boredom.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:24 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
So many of the buildings in Europe are architecturally historic, valuable, and gorgeous. In contrast, hardly any buildings in, say, California, will be anywhere near as historic or valuable in 500-1,000 years, if our ugly buildings are even preserved for so long. So many of the buildings created today are entirely disposable. Chain stores and cheap suburban housing. Even most of the newer, mixed-use, urban high-rise structures that we are building today lack the character of Europe's buildings.
Your seriously underselling the best of the US cities. Obviously, our cities are much younger, so the percentage of old hand crafted buildings is lowerr, but there are many great ones. San Franscisco, New York, Chicago, Boston- all have beautiful old buildings that can stand up to any in the world. What we also have that can't be said for many European cities is the mix of old and new in or major city centers. I know that becomes a matter of taste, but I happen to like the juxtaposition of the sleek modern with the ornate historic.
Now what I might agree with you on is the in-cohesive Urban Design of our cities, compared to the pre-automobile cities of Europe. We have seemingly fewer strong Urban spaces and a lot of ambiguity between what is "Urban Fabric" and simply object buildings in space. Again, its a function of our time, and in many ways our politics.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:51 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Your seriously underselling the best of the US cities. Obviously, our cities are much younger, so the percentage of old hand crafted buildings is lowerr, but there are many great ones. San Franscisco, New York, Chicago, Boston- all have beautiful old buildings that can stand up to any in the world. What we also have that can't be said for many European cities is the mix of old and new in or major city centers. I know that becomes a matter of taste, but I happen to like the juxtaposition of the sleek modern with the ornate historic.
Now what I might agree with you on is the in-cohesive Urban Design of our cities, compared to the pre-automobile cities of Europe. We have seemingly fewer strong Urban spaces and a lot of ambiguity between what is "Urban Fabric" and simply object buildings in space. Again, its a function of our time, and in many ways our politics.
If you actually comprehended my post, you'd realize that I was specifying suburban cities, especially those in the Sun Belt, where miles upon miles of developments amount to nothing more than big box chain stores and cheap-looking, big box housing.

I agree, SF, NYC, Chi, and Boston have wonderful architecture. You can find certain cities throughout the U.S. that have wonderful architecture. But those cities are vastly outnumbered by cities with "disposable" architecture that consume vast portions of land.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Which cities in your opinion in the US have the most boring architecture?

Are you referring to commercial or residential?
There could be big differences from North and South, to East and West. There could also be huge swings from 19th century to 21st century.

From a residential standpoint (and a lot will probably disagree- for the wrong reason), Levittown has too be on of the most boring for residential.
From a commercial standpoint- the cities of the plains have pretty plain architectural- with a few single exceptions in building/structures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum