Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the Best Architecture?
Boston 36 10.50%
New York City 71 20.70%
Philadelphia 17 4.96%
Baltimore 4 1.17%
Washington D.C. 15 4.37%
Charleston, SC 7 2.04%
New Orleans 26 7.58%
Chicago 89 25.95%
San Francisco 26 7.58%
Seattle 14 4.08%
Other 38 11.08%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
I like both old and new architectural styles for what they are but I personally prefer more modern styles to live in.

I’ll break it down like this.

For modern - Seattle is #1 for me (Seattle does have some older architectural style neighborhoods that are immaculate and breathtaking)

For an older architectural style – D.C. is #1 for me

Modern Seattle architecture
Thanks for the pictures. They definitely show off the Seattle. BTW, what are these older, "immaculate" neighborhoods you speak of? What styles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 08:45 PM

481 posts, read 2,821,677 times
Atlanta has really nice skyscraper design. Most cities have a few buildings that stick out among a lot of generic skyscrapers, but Atlanta has a lot of skyscrapers that have very cool looking architecture, especially the rooftop design.

Atlanta also has multiple skylines and tons of trees.... in that one picture, it looks looks like there are forests in between the different districts, but that area is fully developed - there are houses under those trees.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:04 PM

68 posts, read 134,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needless Kane View Post
What about Frank Gehry famous architect from Los Angeles: Frank Gehry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He made this:

Walt Disney Concert Hall downtown Los Angeles

Guggenheim Museum Bilbao Spain
don't forget frank gehry

Old 09-15-2008, 09:07 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
After ainulinale posted those pics, I wanted to post some of LA, but realized that would be impossible. There are so many styles one can find throughout LA, in different neighborhoods, or even on the same block.

We have the Spanish adobe, the stucco Mediterranean, colonials, Victorians, beach shacks, modern concrete and glass, modern glass condos, old gothic condos, old Bank District buildings, ranch style homes, farm homes, tract homes, and probably more that I can't think of.

http://www.dougnewby.com/images/sighome/brosmith_house_losangeles/brosmith_house_losangeles_03.jpg (broken link)

http://leblog.exuberance.com/images/Bullocks-Wilshire-building-Los-Angeles.jpg (broken link)

http://kateblogsworth.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/venice-beach-address.jpg (broken link)

SaMo Civic Center

http://www.whitefishbaynow.com/images/preserve/5775--N.-Santa-Monica.gif (broken link)

http://www.petersale.com/images/2620_24th/front_yard.jpg (broken link)

http://www.pasadenaneighborhoods.com/South_Pasadena_Victorian_cottage.JPG (broken link)

http://www.longbeachneighborhoods.com/Belmont_Shore_long_beach.JPG (broken link)

Areas around LAX still look exactly like this...of course the children look different. LOL.

FYI, the majority of these pics are in Beverly Hills, Hancock Park, and Pasadena. If you ever have time, please cruise through these neighborhoods and will be in awe at what you see. Trust me...every time I drive through I am in shock, especially Hancock Park. That is my favorite neighborhood of LA because of all the amazing architecture, from modern to tudor, from Spanish to Victorian, from classic bungalow to Italian Villa, and all other styles you can imagine.

Last edited by jessemh431; 09-15-2008 at 09:23 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Atlanta has really nice skyscraper design. Most cities have a few buildings that stick out among a lot of generic skyscrapers, but Atlanta has a lot of skyscrapers that have very cool looking architecture, especially the rooftop design.
Wow. That first is the single best pic I've seen of Atlanta's skyline. No joke. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:24 PM

I voted for SF though.

Dare I say it, but that the first ATL pic is amazing.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
After ainulinale posted those pics, I wanted to post some of LA, but realized that would be impossible. There are so many styles one can find throughout LA, in different neighborhoods, or even on the same block.

We have the Spanish adobe, the stucco Mediterranean, colonials, Victorians, beach shacks, modern concrete and glass, modern glass condos, old gothic condos, old Bank District buildings, ranch style homes, farm homes, tract homes, and probably more that I can't think of.
Great pics! I never knew LA had such interesting buildings. When most people think LA, I'd guess we think 50s generic, suburban housing for miles, but that's not the case. BTW, what is that SaMo Civic Center--that's fantastic. What kind of style?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:56 PM

68 posts, read 134,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post

Atlanta also has multiple skylines and tons of trees.... in that one picture, it looks looks like there are forests in between the different districts, but that area is fully developed - there are houses under those trees.

Atlanta Is Awesome might move there who knows

Old 09-15-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Great pics! I never knew LA had such interesting buildings. When most people think LA, I'd guess we think 50s generic, suburban housing for miles, but that's not the case. BTW, what is that SaMo Civic Center--that's fantastic. What kind of style?
Santa Monica Civic Center Parking Structure

In case you can't tell by SaMo having even their parking structures completely green, it is one of the most liberal cities in the country, comparable to Berkeley and SF.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Santa Monica Civic Center Parking Structure

In case you can't tell by SaMo having even their parking structures completely green, it is one of the most liberal cities in the country, comparable to Berkeley and SF.
Coolest parking lot I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum