Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the Best Architecture?
Boston 36 10.50%
New York City 71 20.70%
Philadelphia 17 4.96%
Baltimore 4 1.17%
Washington D.C. 15 4.37%
Charleston, SC 7 2.04%
New Orleans 26 7.58%
Chicago 89 25.95%
San Francisco 26 7.58%
Seattle 14 4.08%
Other 38 11.08%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:20 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Lets get a few things straight before you bash me, first of all i always have the sources so bring it on buddy, second i could honestly care less if it was in your top 10 or 20 or 100 or 1,000,000 for that matter, there was a study taken by Travelandleisure.com and CNN Headline News and Santa Fe ranks #8 tied with San Francisco for the Best Architecture in U.S. Cities.. so ummmm yea.??

Best Architecture in U.S. Cities — Infoplease.com

Btw, santa fe kicked ass in these studies thats all i have to brag about and i'm not even from there
I don't think you get it buddy...these studies have no bearing on anything whatsoever. Pittsburgh has been ranked as having the best natural or man-made view in the U.S. Are you going to tell me that because some guy who writes in a magazine that Pittsburgh has the best view, that that is, in any way, authoritative? Please, you bashed my thread because I didn't have Santa Fe on the list when no more than six people could have voted for it. and dont' tell me this is authoritative because it was voted on. We vote in Presidential elections too ya know. Hell, most of the people they asked probably never even saw the cities in person they were voting for--or not voting for for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 11:24 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Default It's settled...

Hillier - About

Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 PM

481 posts, read 2,822,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
Posted by GF72

Oh. My. God. That home is gorgeous!

Great pictures everyone. I had no idea how diverse Atlanta and LA are! I've always known how modern Seattle is though, its great! The whole PNW does a fantastic job with the building modern and green buildings.
And you can't tell, but the nearest 500+ feet tall skyscraper is less than 3 miles from that house - some of Atlanta's nicest neighborhoods are close to the city, not in the outer suburbs.

Another house I really like:

Actually there are a lot of houses I've seen that I wish I could show, but it's hard finding pictures online unless the house is currently for sale...

More Atlanta architecture:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1803/872562281vzs47hkys6.jpg (broken link)

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1010/atljp9.jpg (broken link)

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/4632/102517655o5akvdjwum4.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by GF72; 09-17-2008 at 12:49 AM..

Old 09-16-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
But...how can this be....it contradicts the wholly authoritative and accurate study conducted by T&L. My whole worldview is crashing to the ground...oh no!
Thanks for the link BTW.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:29 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I don't think you get it buddy...these studies have no bearing on anything whatsoever. Pittsburgh has been ranked as having the best natural or man-made view in the U.S. Are you going to tell me that because some guy who writes in a magazine that Pittsburgh has the best view, that that is, in any way, authoritative? Please, you bashed my thread because I didn't have Santa Fe on the list when no more than six people could have voted for it. and dont' tell me this is authoritative because it was voted on. We vote in Presidential elections too ya know. Hell, most of the people they asked probably never even saw the cities in person they were voting for--or not voting for for that matter.

ya ya... if it was your sweet city you would brag about it so shut it, its funny how you cant admit that this thread obviously included the bigger cities, just becuase there larger and they have highrises, other or no other.. its just a thread on city-data.. dont get too happy its not america votes 08 case closed

Old 09-16-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
ya ya... if it was your sweet city you would brag about it so shut it, its funny how you cant admit that this thread obviously included the bigger cities, just becuase there larger and they have highrises, other or no other.. its just a thread on city-data.. dont get too happy its not america votes 08 case closed
Whatever. My city has been at the top of the list in many magazine articles. Do I ever say anything about it? Nope. Don't really care too much to boast.
"It's just a thread on city-data." Yep. So why complain about it?
Did I put more big cities on this thread? Yes, when did I fail to admit that? I put more big cities on there because they have a greater range of architecture as well as some of the nicest in the country, and because most people are going to vote for them--not just because they are larger and have high rises.

Last edited by ainulinale; 09-16-2008 at 11:42 PM..

Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
^^^Where are you from?

And what neighborhoods of ATL have those nice homes?

Old 09-16-2008, 11:48 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
New Orleans.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
^^^Where are you from?

And what neighborhoods of ATL have those nice homes?
I think he's from Boston, based on pics he posted.

Atlanta has a lot of older neighborhoods scattered around, but most of the pics I posted were from Buckhead, Ansley Park, and Inman Park. You'll find a lot of historic homes in these areas (though there are many more like these, such as Druid Hills which is a beautiful old neighborhood around Emory University, Brookhaven and Vinings are two more). Buckhead is Atlanta's historic old money area, it's not a "neighborhood" as much as a city within a city; Buckhead has its own skyline and dozens of neighborhoods.

The bulk of Atlanta's nicer, newer (not historic) homes are in the northern areas - Sandy Springs, East Cobb, Johns Creek, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Milton, Roswell, Duluth. Most of Atlanta's black celebrities, especially the rappers, don't live anywhere near the city of Atlanta or the southside ghettos they rap about. Most of them live in the majority white/asian country clubs in Johns Creek and Alpharetta. Recently Tyler Perry built a huge estate in the Buckhead/Sandy Springs area. Little did he know how protective the northern areas are of their trees. You can't cut a tree down without permission - doesn't matter if it's on your property. So he cleared a lot of trees around his house.... and got fined $177,146.

Last edited by GF72; 09-17-2008 at 01:13 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 AM

Won't let me edit anymore ^^^^^^

Anyway, more cool architecture from Atlanta:

That's the same mosque, in the foreground of the city skyline.

I can't believe I forgot, but here's Atlanta's newest landmark, one of the largest Hindu temples outside India and the largest of its kind in the United States. This was just completed last year - it was designed to last thousands of years. Absolutely no steel or metal was used, this temple was built completely from Indian sandstone, Turkish limestone, and Italian marble. Every single block of stone was hand carved in India and shipped to Atlanta where the whole thing was assembled like a puzzle. This is definitely an incredible piece of architecture:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3479/clipboard02xi4.jpg (broken link)

http://i.pbase.com/o6/96/711096/1/79195223.R6M1EUv2.HinduTemple3.jpg (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum