Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 PM

999 posts, read 4,533,018 times

Advertisements

Never been there during the Fall, just summer or winter....although Feb. was like 70 degrees...then 3 days after I left they got 4 feet of snow.....But I did stay at the Tal Wi Wi at Nutrioso and drove back and forth past Alpine on the Coronodo hwy....Reminds me of Northern MI WITHOUT the bugs!!

We're flying to Vegas for a day, then driving to Greer, then to Prescott, then back to Vegas...Too far to drive from MI for me....Maybe when I get my Harley!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 09:24 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,334,791 times
Okey, dokey. I was just going to suggest a scenic route to Greer in case you were headed there via Albuquerque. I live here in Prescott, so if you'd like some input on some things to do while you're here I'd be happy to help. Although if you're here during Frontier Days, you'll find lots to do!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:35 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,906,643 times
Many people travel on 260, you'll be okay. If you have to travel after sunset, drive at 40 MPH just in case a curious elk crosses the road.

Have a safe and an enjoyable trip.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Okey, dokey. I was just going to suggest a scenic route to Greer in case you were headed there via Albuquerque. I live here in Prescott, so if you'd like some input on some things to do while you're here I'd be happy to help. Although if you're here during Frontier Days, you'll find lots to do!
Fire away. The only thing we have planned so far is the parade.

Quote:
Many people travel on 260, you'll be okay. If you have to travel after sunset, drive at 40 MPH just in case a curious elk crosses the road.

Have a safe and an enjoyable trip.
Thanks, will do!!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Things to do in Prescott over the 4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Fire away. The only thing we have planned so far is the parade.
Here's a few links that might help with all the Frontier Days events. It'll be really crowded around here. (This is usually the time we head to Greer.

Worlds Oldest Rodeo in Prescott, AZ: Rodeo Sponsors

Events Calendar > City of Prescott, Arizona

Prescott, AZ, Arizona visitor guide information (http://www.visit-prescott.com/event-calendar.html - broken link)

You might also want to take a side trip to Jerome (old mining town built on the side of the mountain). Great views of Sedona Red Rocks and the Verde Valley from there. Kind of a cool place - a mix of artsy, hippie, bikers, historians, tourists - you name it. Jerome is about 1/2 hr drive from Prescott Valley over Mingus Mountain on Hwy 89A. And, of course, Sedona is only a 1/2 hr further past Jerome.

Hope you have a great time on your trip to AZ! One thing we will guarantee you is plenty of sunshine! And probably some wind, too, especially if monsoons haven't started by then (which it's looking like we'll have to wait to the middle of July for those this year).

Old 06-19-2007, 05:48 PM

202 posts, read 982,650 times
Driving Directions from Show Low, AZ to Prescott, AZ

Old 06-19-2007, 06:10 PM

Thanks all...Been to Jerome last time out. Ate at the Haunted Hamburger, checked out the leaning church....Personally I don't plan on being at the parade. I hate crowds. Wife and kids will no doubt be there and I'll hang out at Bucky's till they get back.

Will Crown King be super crowded? I thought about trying the drive up there this time. May do some hiking at Granite Mountain. Will that be crowded? I imagine Thumb Butte will be? I haven't hiked up there yet either.

In what area of Prescott do you live?

Old 06-19-2007, 06:56 PM

Crown King is accessible via back roads. Several ways to get there - one would require high ground clearance for sure. Shouldn't be crowded up at all up there, unless there's special "goin's on" there. I haven't been up there for several years. There was a fire up there a year or two ago and the bark beetle took out a lot of pines up there. Not to discourage you, but might be a little dusty and hot up there.

Granite Mountain has some nice trails. I don't think that should be too crowded since most folks will be at the Frontier Days events. If you really want to get away from the maddening crowds, there's a wilderness area way out Williamson Valley Road. Nice places to hike out there. Also, if you take a back road out of Chino Valley toward Perkinsville, there's some nice hikes in there, too. The drive is pretty, too. You eventually end up looking at Sycamore Canyon.

Then there's also quite a few nice hikes off of Senator Hwy. (on out past Groom Creek). Here's a link to the Prescott National Forest website (and maps) Prescott National Forest - Recreational Activities - Trails: Oaks and Willows #3

I live out SE of PV.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:13 PM

Sycamore Canyon sounds good. Did you get the latest AZ Highways? It's all about the White Mountains. Couldn't have come at a better time.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:29 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,906,643 times
I love Crown King, and I go up there a lot. I'll be going up there on June 30th. As Gretchen indicated, the "back road", which goes from Lake Pleasant, requires a 4x4 and good ground clearance. The other way to get there is from I-17, between Black Canyon City and the Sunset Point Rest area, there's an exit, with a sign that says "Bumble Bee/Crown King". Depending on which direction you're coming from, there's also another exit north of the Sunset Point rest area, that'll also get you to Cleator, which is halfway up the mountain. You'll drive on a paved road for about a mile or so after you get off I-17, then you'll be on a graded dirt road for 26 miles. You won't see tall pines until you get just outside of Crown King, but the drive is very scenic nonetheless.

I've also gone deer hunting north of Crown King on the Senator Highway, and fishing at Horsethief Lake, about 7 miles south of the town.

If you go there, check out the Mill Restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona