Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:12 PM

999 posts, read 4,533,238 times

Advertisements

What's the fastest way to drive from Show Low to Prescott??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 03:28 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,335,390 times
It seems like the fastest way is to take Hwy 77 north out of Show Low to Holbrook, hop on I-40 and come back through Flagstaff and down the 17. It's further this way, but because you're not going through the mountains and driving interstate, it seems to be faster.

Of course the prettiest way (and probably the shortest?) is to go through Payson and then take 260 through Camp Verde. Now that they've widened 260 much of the way from Payson to Show Low it's not as bad as it used to be, but still a lot of twists and turns, and bad news if you happen to be the 20th car behind a motorhome on a 2-lane section!!!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:39 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,909,172 times
You can head west on the 260 all the way to Payson, then from Payson, the same 260 highway goes north/northwest, continue on it for 50 miles or so, which will take you through Pine and Strawberry, then Camp Verde, which is right next to Interstate 17. Take I-17 south for about 15 miles, which will then intersect with US 69, take 69 west for about 30 miles and that'll take you right into Prescott.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:33 PM

Thanks,

You know, looking at the map, and having driven back to Phoenix through Payson and Pine I can't imagine going all the way through Flag. The drive out 260 is nice except for the Elk at night. How about total time for the trip via 260 vs. Flag??? Any idea?? I use Delorme Streetguide/GPS and it usually estimates a little long. Is it 6 hours????

Old 06-18-2007, 04:46 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,909,172 times
It's been a while since I've driven on the 260 from Showlow to Camp Verde, but I don't think it'll take you 6 hours, more like 3, then another 45 minutes from Camp Verde to Prescott. The 260 is the shorter route, and you won't have to go through Flagstaff, which in the summer can be a hassle sometimes.

As for the elk at night, well if you're driving a truck, and you happen to come across one, you'll have enough meat in your freezer for a couple of years!

Old 06-18-2007, 05:30 PM

We usually go the typical way, through Payson, Pine/Strawberry, and Camp Verde. That usually takes us about 4 hrs, if I remember correctly (although we usually are going all the way to Greer and I think that's about 4-1/2 hrs.)
I do know if we're wanting to make better time we do the Flagstaff route. I know, it seems weird that could be any faster, but with the higher speed limits on interstate, it seems to go more quickly. I think alot depends on the amount of traffic on the 2-lane portions of 260. If it's a weekend or a holiday, it can be slow going. Otherwise, I think it's a toss-up. Plus 260 is definitely the MUCH prettier route. Pretty barren up around Holbrook.

Anyway, you'll have the elk to contend with if you're travelling after dusk going either route.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 PM

I like elk...they're tasty....However, I'm more worried about this happening to me:
http://www.elktrackerlodge.com/ImageFetch.ashx?Size=0&ImageID=86 (broken link)

Thanks for the info. We'll be going from Greer to Prescott Monday, July 2, so I hope we won't have to deal with holiday traffic......4.5 hours will be perfect. Wife won't be too cranky yet and the kids will probably be sleeping after 4 days of fishing on the Black River and Reservation Lake. Think we'll see any bear?

Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 PM

[quote=and the;908292]I like elk...they're tasty....However, I'm more worried about this happening to me:
http://www.elktrackerlodge.com/ImageFetch.ashx?Size=0&ImageID=86 (broken link) Yikes!

Thanks for the info. We'll be going from Greer to Prescott Monday, July 2, so I hope we won't have to deal with holiday traffic......4.5 hours will be perfect. Wife won't be too cranky yet and the kids will probably be sleeping after 4 days of fishing on the Black River and Reservation Lake. Think we'll see any bear?[/QUOTE]

Ya just might. We saw one on our trip to Greer last year. And around the South Fork Campground they've got lots of signs posted. We just love that area, and the Black River is beautiful! Where is Reservation Lake - is that up around Big Lake or up on top of the pass somewhere by Sunlight Ski Resort?

I'm jealous. We've been trying to get over there this year, but have yet to make it. Have fun - even if the only bears you see are the domestic type.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 PM

Here's Reservation Lake:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/FrankDrebin/tn_reservationlake.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
I'm jealous. We've been trying to get over there this year, but have yet to make it. Have fun - even if the only bears you see are the domestic type.
If I can make it from Southeast Michigan, you can make it from Prescott!!!

Thanks, looking forward to the trip.....First trip out there with the whole family. Wife hasn't seen the lot I bought in Vernon yet.....We're staying at the Eastfork Cabins:
Eastfork Cabins, Greer Arizona

Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 PM

Thanks, we'll have to check that out next time we're over there. Have you ever been to the Alpine area in the fall when the Aspens are changing? That's a neat time to head that direction, too.

Are you driving from Michigan or flying into Phoenix . . . or Albuquerque?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona