Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:41 PM

13,248 posts, read 21,872,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy2 View Post
In Mohave County the tax rate goes up if it's a rental...
No it doesn't. I double-checked with a friend of mine who works in the assessors office and he confirmed this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Then I apologize for giving incorrect information!
No need to apologize because you were correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 07:56 PM

110 posts, read 248,378 times
Kdog, we had a condo a couple of years ago and I noticed I was paying higher taxes then my friend who owned the exact sq ft condo next door. When I contacted the assessor, they stated my condo was listed as a rental. When I informed them it was not, they readjusted the tax lower.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM

209 posts, read 433,363 times
Don't know about condos but I own rental property in Havasu and the tax rate is the same as my primary residence.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,458,028 times
Found it - it concerns the Homeowner's Exemption.

"All property in Arizona is taxed based on how it is used.

To get a homeowner tax credit, a property buyer files a sworn affidavit with the county recorder saying the home will be owner-occupied or that a relative will live there. If the buyer indicates that it is a rental, no credit should be provided.

The recorder passes the information to a county assessor, who classifies the property. That helps determine how much a treasurer collects in taxes."

Here in CA, this means they knock off $7K of the assessed value, which lowers the taxes a little. You'll have to search to find the $ amount in AZ.

Michael J - maybe you need to apply for the credit on your primary residence!

Last edited by Gandalara; 07-10-2010 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: spacing glitches.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Found it - it concerns the Homeowner's Exemption.

"All property in Arizona is taxed based on how it is used.

To get a homeowner tax credit, a property buyer files a sworn affidavit with the county recorder saying the home will be owner-occupied or that a relative will live there. If the buyer indicates that it is a rental, no credit should be provided.

The recorder passes the information to a county assessor, who classifies the property. That helps determine how much a treasurer collects in taxes."

Here in CA, this means they knock off $7K of the assessed value, which lowers the taxes a little. You'll have to search to find the $ amount in AZ.

Michael J - maybe you need to apply for the credit on your primary residence!
Well, first of all that's a tax credit. The tax rate is the same. Secondly, that was a school tax rebate, and it no longer exists.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:14 AM

KDog - thanks.

AZ does not have a 'regardless-of-age' permanent home owner's exemption?
(I know there are widows, widowers and disabled exemptions, and senior tax deferral)

Guess it would make to much sense to make some things uniform

Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
KDog - thanks.

AZ does not have a 'regardless-of-age' permanent home owner's exemption?
(I know there are widows, widowers and disabled exemptions, and senior tax deferral)
A what!? I don't even know what that is, but I don't think so or my friend would have mentioned it. I'm going to see him during the week so I could ask him. Is "''regardless-of-age' permanent home owner's exemption" the actual technical term for what you're asking? Also, does CA have this? He's originally from SoCal, so would be well versed in the differences between the two states.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 AM

By regardless-of-age, I meant it isn't just for seniors. CA has other exemptions for them.

Yes, in CA when you buy a house you're going to live in - The California Constitution provides for the exemption of $7,000 (maximum) in assessed value from the property tax assessment of any property owned and occupied as the owner’s principal place of residence. The exemption reduces the annual property tax bill for a qualified homeowner by up to $70. You must be its owner or co-owner, and you must live in the property as your principal place of residence. You must also file the appropriate exemption claim form with the county assessor.

So if you buy a house in CA and rent it out, you can't get this exemption.

Boy, I really messed this thread up, didn't I? Sorry

Old 07-11-2010, 09:50 AM

Wow, $70 whole dollars a year! That'll really change your lifestyle.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that Mohave County property taxes are probably some of the lowest in the country, so you can't expect us to have all these little penny-ante exemptions. I wouldn't want them anyway. Our schools need more money, not less.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Wow, $70 whole dollars a year! That'll really change your lifestyle.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that Mohave County property taxes are probably some of the lowest in the country, so you can't expect us to have all these little penny-ante exemptions. I wouldn't want them anyway. Our schools need more money, not less.
Yes, they are

I found this table online (The Tax Foundation - Educating Taxpayers Since 1937) showing "Property Tax on Owner-Occupied Housing, by County, Ranked by Property Taxes Paid, 2006-2008 (3-Year Average)" a few months back.

The numbers are old and I'm sure new taxes have been added, but it sorta explains why I'm interested in property tax.

(County) (Median Real Estate Taxes Paid)
AZ:
Apache County $138
Cochise County $905
Coconino County $1,124
Gila County $745
Graham County $560
La Paz County $270
Maricopa County $1,344
Mohave County $831
Navajo County $385
Yavapai County $1,155
Yuma County $739
United States Average $1,854
Spoiler
Riverside County, CA $2,478
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona