Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:18 PM

5 posts, read 23,635 times

Advertisements

Looking for the best areas to camp in Arizona. Looking for get-away-from-it-all-places. No people. Privacy. Beauty.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 06:27 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMAC1 View Post
Looking for the best areas to camp in Arizona. Looking for get-away-from-it-all-places. No people. Privacy. Beauty.

Suggestions?
Potato Patch Park at the Mingus Mtn. summit. Cool, pine trees and 7,000 ft. elevation. Where would you be coming from?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:39 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,421,424 times
I have a spot in Prescott I really enjoy, been going there the last few years, there is little road traffic, and it's pretty secluded, it is dispersed camping, meaning all you get is a place to camp, no fire pit, no picnic tables, no bathrooms, it's real camping.

This link should show you exactly where we go, just drive down this road, look for brown posts, these are the designated camp sites.

Indian Creek Road - Google Maps

Lots of tall pines, great weather, and like I sad seclusion!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:27 PM

260 posts, read 511,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I have a spot in Prescott I really enjoy, been going there the last few years, there is little road traffic, and it's pretty secluded, it is dispersed camping, meaning all you get is a place to camp, no fire pit, no picnic tables, no bathrooms, it's real camping.

This link should show you exactly where we go, just drive down this road, look for brown posts, these are the designated camp sites.

Indian Creek Road - Google Maps

Lots of tall pines, great weather, and like I sad seclusion!
I dont think my wife would want to camp there, if there is no bathroom.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesmoses View Post
I dont think my wife would want to camp there, if there is no bathroom.
You shouldn't have bathrooms when camping, what's the point? Go dig a hole in the woods and do your business.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:04 PM

354 posts, read 1,282,210 times
Default A Tall Order

Quote:
It sounds like you are looking for a developed camp ground that has facilities your wife needs for comfort. Going to a developed camp ground is not the way to get away from other people.

Still, some are better than others.

Purchase yourself a camp potty and open up a lot more options for yourself. It should not be hard convincing the wife it is as good or better than one of those outhouses. I have to say the ones I have seen of late are being very well maintained by the forest service.

Try Kehl Springs (I think that is how it spelled) it is a small camp ground right on FR 300 along the Mogollon Rim. Perhaps just camp near by with a short walk to the facilities. Another nice place is Dairy Springs at Mormon Lake or maybe Lockett Meadow (but there is an active fire in the area that I hope has no affect on it)

Note camp fires and open flames are banned in Coconino and Tonto NF. Apache-Sitgreaves is does not have restrictions right now but please be very careful.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:22 PM

Most developed camp sites are only 10-15ft away from other campsites, so you get a ton of noise, no privacy, and it's not very fun. Sure theres bathrooms, but they're dirty and disgusting most of the time.

Camping along Rim Road is also a good option on the mogollon rim.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:34 PM

5 posts, read 23,635 times
How did this change to a thread on campgrounds. No one in our family has issues camping in the most remote locations. To clarify..

WE DO NOT EVER GO TO CAMPGROUNDS. Facilities, people, crowds, other campers...is exactly what we are trying to avoid. We are looking for remote, private, secluded areas to camp.

So. Does anyone know of any good remote, private, secluded areas to camp? Accessible by modified 4x4 truck is fine. My camper can go anywhere the truck can.

NO FACILITIES. NO CROWDS. NO CAMPGROUNDS.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
How did this change to a thread on campgrounds. No one in our family has issues camping in the most remote locations. To clarify..

WE DO NOT EVER GO TO CAMPGROUNDS. Facilities, people, crowds, other campers...is exactly what we are trying to avoid. We are looking for remote, private, secluded areas to camp.

So. Does anyone know of any good remote, private, secluded areas to camp? Accessible by modified 4x4 truck is fine. My camper can go anywhere the truck can.

NO FACILITIES. NO CROWDS. NO CAMPGROUNDS.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Check out my post, exactly what you're looking for. I took my stock toyota tacoma out there with no problems, just some ruts here and there.

I haved camped along this road 4-5 times, I rarely see any other vehicles since it's not a popular road, we see maybe 3-4 cars pass each day.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:44 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,442,060 times
Quote:
How did this change to a thread on campgrounds. No one in our family has issues camping in the most remote locations.
Because another poster mentioned his wife wanted bathrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona