Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:41 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,117 times

Advertisements

Two days before Arizona's new immigration law takes effect, a group of picketers took to Phoenix City Hall, holding up signs asking the police department not to enforce the stringent law.

Read more: Arizona immigration law: Picketers ask Phoenix cops to not enforce SB 1070
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 04:01 AM

923 posts, read 1,429,117 times
With Arizona's new immigration law set to take effect Thursday, law-enforcement officers around the state are braced to become among the most scrutinized in the world as both sides of the heated debate wait for a misstep.

Read more: Arizona police agencies vary on enforcement of Arizona immigration law

Old 07-29-2010, 05:36 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Default Congratulations Arizona!

As a Hispanic man who's lived legally in the USA for more than 30 years, I congratulate Arizona for taking the road less traveled and for taking a bold stance against illegal immigration.

Some of us Hispanics who migrate to this country do so with the intention of ridding ourselves from the corruption which plagues our countries of origin. We come here to better ourselves and to become productive Citizens of main stream society. Of the "some" a few of us do manage to achieve the so called "American Dream." The American Dream is nothing more than what responsible law abiding people want, regardless of their ethnic background.

At my place of work I feel fortunate to share my American Dream with people from places like Vietnam, India, Taiwan, The Phillipines, etc.; people who are here legally and do their very best to comply with the law, learn the language and customs of everyday USA, and be assets (not burdens) of society.

No matter our backgrounds, we share a civil and respectful commonality based on the fact that we are here to better ourselves - and in the process - be productive Citizens of a great nation known as. . .The United States of America.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
As a Hispanic man who's lived legally in the USA for more than 30 years, I congratulate Arizona for taking the road less traveled and for taking a bold stance against illegal immigration.

Some of us Hispanics who migrate to this country do so with the intention of ridding ourselves from the corruption which plagues our countries of origin. We come here to better ourselves and to become productive Citizens of main stream society. Of the "some" a few of us do manage to achieve the so called "American Dream." The American Dream is nothing more than what responsible law abiding people want, regardless of their ethnic background.

At my place of work I feel fortunate to share my American Dream with people from places like Vietnam, India, Taiwan, The Phillipines, etc.; people who are here legally and do their very best to comply with the law, learn the language and customs of everyday USA, and be assets (not burdens) of society.

No matter our backgrounds, we share a civil and respectful commonality based on the fact that we are here to better ourselves - and in the process - be productive Citizens of a great nation known as. . .The United States of America.
You, and all like you, regardless of their origins, have my respect!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:03 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

As a fellow Latino, I feel the same way. It really does suck that the media finds Hispanic people like us (you know, happy to be American, responsible, against criminality) too boring to cover for the evening news. Anti-Americanism and promotion of law breaking is better for ratings.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:24 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
It was a pretty disgusting sight in Phoenix today with illegals and protesters waving Mexican flags and pictures of Che Guevara - all in the knowledge that the state's hands are tied to do anything with them and the Feds won't.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
I heard that a bunch of protesters were bussed in from California. Guess that doesn't do much for their boycott.... Anyway, I was really hoping they'd get rained on. Anyone know?

Old 07-29-2010, 08:57 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hideandseekforever View Post
As a fellow Latino, I feel the same way. It really does suck that the media finds Hispanic people like us (you know, happy to be American, responsible, against criminality) too boring to cover for the evening news. Anti-Americanism and promotion of law breaking is better for ratings.
Speaking of "promotion of law breaking"....

Arizona immigration law 2010: As SB1070 takes effect, Mexicans say 'Adios, Arizona' - CSMonitor.com

Nothing new, but the end is quite interesting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Science Monitor
Most undocumented Mexicans who flee Arizona will opt to move to another US state rather than return to Mexico, say some experts.

Take Fernando Cortez. The 30-year-old house painter was deported last week from Arizona after he says police applied the immigration law early – handing him over to border patrol when he was caught driving without a license. He is now living in the Juan Bosco shelter while he plans how to return – illegally – to the United States next year.

But he says he will steer clear of Arizona and instead head to Florida.

“Adios, Arizona,” he says.
Promotion of the fact he's an illegal immigrant...as well as the admittance that he is going to break the law AGAIN now that he sees he can do so without any flack from state or federal governments...even proudly proclaiming that he's going to head to a different state.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:21 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
I have no sympathy or respect for someone who breaks the law and circumvents the process. Fernando Cortez even brags about it. Sad.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:26 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Anybody else besides me thinking that the next presidential election will be won by a candidate running on a anti-illegal immigration platform?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona