Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It is clear to me he is suffering from monomania when it comes to illegal immigrants. He sounds like a narcissitic paranoid, with sadistic tendencies.
So you are a cop and a doctor? Wow.
You are a Californian. I'm not sure why you have so much interest (hate?) for an Arizona issue....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
partly BECAUSE of the cost of "taking care of" the illegals that they finally decided to put the hammer down. .
Your right my friend, but I think partly, is the operative word.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Your right my friend, but I think partly, is the operative word.
LOL...that's exactly why I used that word! There are a LOT of reasons we need to stem the tide of illegals but our welfare services are a big part.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Actual cost of illegal immigrants in AZ

We all talk about how illegals cost AZ. How much does an illegal immigrant on average cost the state of AZ? I am sure this will vary from state to state so I want to focus on AZ.

Illegal immigrants contribute as well as take away from the state. Illegals pay property taxes via rent and homes they own. Illegals pay sales tax and some pay income tax and social security tax.

Illegals take from the system by having their kids and themselves get free healthcare and food stamps for their kids. They also get schooling for their kids.

When you net it out, do illegals on average cost the state money or add money to the state coffers in AZ?

I tend to believe illegals, particularly in AZ, are costing the state money, but I have never seen it quantified. Doing so would eliminate much of this debate about whether illegals contribute or take away.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesmoses View Post
I think, instead of deporting the illegal aliens, Arizona should keep them. Put them on giant prison farms, and they could grow all kinds of organic vegetables, chickens , eggs, and manufacturing. And Arizona could sell all the cheap goods around the World, and build up a booming economy for Arizona. I think this could be done with the help of Obama, in a way that would be good good for the illegal aliens, and Mexico, and Arizona and the USA.
You just don't get it mosesmoses. These are criminals coming across the border. They are human traffickers, drug traffickers, cartels, and people who can't get across the border LEGALLY. These are not sweet migrant workers of your imagination who lovingly come to tend your garden. These are not the displaced farmers of the 80's and 90's "just trying to make a better life for themselves." THOSE people come across with work visas and go through the process to earn their citizenship. And we LOVE them. We help people who want to come here legally. We welcome them with open arms.

In the past You have suggested that we solve the trash problem by putting out trash bins. Now You have suggested we imprison these people in the US and make them forced labor.

NO. We want them to stay in Mexico. Stand up to a horrible, corrupt system and make it better so they don't have to run away! They aren't making Mexico better by coming here. There is a WAR at the border. Even the Mexican government admits that. I get daily reports from the AZMex border. Here is one of those reports. It's the latest from Arizona Game and Fish. Look at what they are apprehending in just TWO sectors on our borders. Again... NOT farmers. NOT interested in being citizens in a legal way. If this lawsuit against us prevails, woe to the rest of the country. Because right now ... OUR people are stopping this. Wait till these people make it to the "Sanctuary Cities" ... you will start hearing a very different tune when it hits the Tipping Point:
http://azgovernor.gov/documents/Bord...efingFinal.pdf

Old 08-04-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
We all talk about how illegals cost AZ. How much does an illegal immigrant on average cost the state of AZ? I am sure this will vary from state to state so I want to focus on AZ.

Illegal immigrants contribute as well as take away from the state. Illegals pay property taxes via rent and homes they own. Illegals pay sales tax and some pay income tax and social security tax.

Illegals take from the system by having their kids and themselves get free healthcare and food stamps for their kids. They also get schooling for their kids.

When you net it out, do illegals on average cost the state money or add money to the state coffers in AZ?

I tend to believe illegals, particularly in AZ, are costing the state money, but I have never seen it quantified. Doing so would eliminate much of this debate about whether illegals contribute or take away.
Here you go, Humboldt. Thanks for asking:

Immigration Counters.com - Live Counters, News, Resources

FAIR: The Costs of Illegal Immigration to Arizonans: Executive Summary

There is also something that hasn't been mentioned very often in this conversation. Because Mexico is far behind the US in health issues, and because so many of the illegal immigrants are from poorer areas, diseases that we have not seen in decades are showing up again in our hospitals and throughout the state. Polio, typhoid fever, Hepatitis A and B are all on the rise here. That is a cost that is difficult to measure. If you tried to migrate to Mexico and you had an illness, they wouldn't let you in. That's part of Mexico's immigration policy. These people are walking across the border carrying these diseases and re-introducing them to a population that no longer gets vaccinated for the diseases because - well, when's the last time anyone you know had polio?

There's spin everywhere.
but for me... it's real simple.
Illegal
is
Illegal.

Why is this even a conversation?
Not ONE of the anti-1070 people would allow a stranger to just walk into their homes uninvited, help themselves to their food, medicine cabinet, social security cards, cash, and jewelry. Let alone camp out in their living room and invite friends and family over for a party. That's what's happening to our state. Illegal is Illegal. Period.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
. I don't need to watch CNN or NBC to know that I don't want this country run by religious fanatics
Good. That means you have written strongly worded statements to your Senators opposing Elena Kagan for the Supreme Court. Good for you princess. Her support of Sharia law is the scariest thing I've seen in years - esp for someone who will be sitting on the Bench for 30 years. '
Ok - off topic. sorry Granny.
But Princess, just responding to your comment.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
There is also something that hasn't been mentioned very often in this conversation. Because Mexico is far behind the US in health issues, and because so many of the illegal immigrants are from poorer areas, diseases that we have not seen in decades are showing up again in our hospitals and throughout the state. Polio, typhoid fever, Hepatitis A and B are all on the rise here. That is a cost that is difficult to measure. If you tried to migrate to Mexico and you had an illness, they wouldn't let you in. That's part of Mexico's immigration policy. These people are walking across the border carrying these diseases and re-introducing them to a population that no longer gets vaccinated for the diseases because - well, when's the last time anyone you know had polio?
And let's not forget tuberculosis, and from Asian illegals as well.

Legal immigrants must be self-supporting, have a verifiable means of income or job lined up or have a sponsor who quarantee they will not be a cost to the country upon entry and for some time thereafter; something like at least five years. Illegals generally have none of that.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post

How do illegals even qualify to buy a home? If they make so little money, and send so much to Mexico, where do they get the money...and the credit...to buy a home? I'm a full fledged AZ born American and *I* can't afford to buy a home.

Maybe the amount spent on illegals can't be quantified because we don't REALLY know who/how many there are? They aren't going to step up and tell us what their financial situation is...unless they apply to buy a house, of course.

Food stamps for a single mom with two kids hits around $500 a month or a little more. I only recently found this out when my niece applied for herself and two kids. How much would a family with more kids get? Do you really think they would pay that much a month in sales tax, etc.? I doubt it. I work and I don't pay that much into fed, state, SS and medicare. Supposedly illegals don't make any more money than I do.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
How do illegals even qualify to buy a home? If they make so little money, and send so much to Mexico, where do they get the money...and the credit...to buy a home? I'm a full fledged AZ born American and *I* can't afford to buy a home.

Maybe the amount spent on illegals can't be quantified because we don't REALLY know who/how many there are? They aren't going to step up and tell us what their financial situation is...unless they apply to buy a house, of course.

Food stamps for a single mom with two kids hits around $500 a month or a little more. I only recently found this out when my niece applied for herself and two kids. How much would a family with more kids get? Do you really think they would pay that much a month in sales tax, etc.? I doubt it. I work and I don't pay that much into fed, state, SS and medicare. Supposedly illegals don't make any more money than I do.
Banks weren't exactly looking at citizenship and overlooked a lot of things when they were giving out loans in previous years (especially to those who shouldn't have gotten them). Also, illegals were buying homes in poorer neighborhoods that were dirt cheap (under 30k), even by today's standards. When you have 2 or 3 families all living under one roof working as much as they can, wherever they can, for however much they can... it doesn't cost as much as a single family trying to buy a home. Also, for the ones who did landscaping... landscapers can get away with a lot of over charging on home owners who don't know better.

There are a lot of illegals living here that have legal family willing to open a home loan for them, possibly co-sign for them, or have a bank account back in their home country that they can use here in the US. Then there are the ones with stolen ID's and SS#'s.

~On a side note, I have seen some homes that were foreclosed on in "certain areas" that had extensions put on the homes that were totally out of code and illegally done. This is how smaller homes were made bigger. Now those homes are having a hard time selling because of the costs to bring everything up to code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona