Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Judge blocks parts of Arizona immigration law - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_arizona_immigration - broken link)
Good.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 PM

211 posts, read 641,356 times
So LEO is not *required* to demand proof of citizenship, but can he still *choose* to demand it as part of upholding federal immigration law? I'd be fine with that. Maybe we could just change some of the existing state laws to address those problems caused by illegals?

Pulled over without a license, insurance, or registration? Instant vehicle impound and a trip downtown. Nothing racist about that, is there?

Too much under-the-table cash going around? Not enough of those dollars staying in the country? Replace the state income tax with a higher sales tax. Food, gas, clothes, sundries. Nothing racist about shifting the source of tax revenue from income-based to spending based, right?

What's it called, again, when someone employed the local government is also working for a foreign government? It's on the tip of my tongue...

Old 07-28-2010, 12:53 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Ok everyone, it has been a long time since I posted in this thread. As I said this law was unconstitutional and would not hold water. It got blocked as I predicted. Action needs to be taken at the border, not harassing citizens currently living in the state.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
The real irony is that Napolitiano, former Governor of Arizona,is Homeland Security Czar. Maybe she'll give a speech tonight on how important it is to secure our borders.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:57 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,376,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
So LEO is not *required* to demand proof of citizenship, but can he still *choose* to demand it as part of upholding federal immigration law? I'd be fine with that. Maybe we could just change some of the existing state laws to address those problems caused by illegals?

Pulled over without a license, insurance, or registration? Instant vehicle impound and a trip downtown. Nothing racist about that, is there?

Too much under-the-table cash going around? Not enough of those dollars staying in the country? Replace the state income tax with a higher sales tax. Food, gas, clothes, sundries. Nothing racist about shifting the source of tax revenue from income-based to spending based, right?

What's it called, again, when someone employed the local government is also working for a foreign government? It's on the tip of my tongue...

from what im reading they cannot demand it at all, like it should be.
thats the section that got thrown out, as expected.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Ok everyone, it has been a long time since I posted in this thread. As I said this law was unconstitutional and would not hold water. It got blocked as I predicted. Action needs to be taken at the border, not harassing citizens currently living in the state.
And what about non-citizens illegally taking up space. Oh, wait! Enforcing existing law where they're concerned is harassment as well, right?

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-28-2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-28-2010, 01:47 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
from what im reading they cannot demand it at all, like it should be.
thats the section that got thrown out, as expected.
The part left in - that agencies must enforce federal immigration laws - could be significant. The federal law is quite stern - it is just not enforced. If local law enforcement can enforce federal laws then that is a plus. If they can't ask it might make it tougher, but I can assure you that Arpaio will find a way.

In any case, Arpaio's sweeps are on for tomorrow and the climate for illegals is going to get worse and worse in AZ and other states including laws to refuse their kids birth certificates, make them pay for tuition for their kids in school and more, and more. The real purpose of 1070 was not to arrest illegals. It was to scare them, harass them and make them self-deport. The message is you're not welcome here and the message will get louder and louder.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:11 PM

682 posts, read 2,567,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodneighbor1234 View Post
Governor Brewer led Arizona into this rabbit hole. Now that this law has been blocked she can concentrate on the BORDER. Governors Richardson and Schwarznegger have already commited to send National Guard troops to their borders with Mexico.

Governor Brewer? Protecting the ranchers near the border is not a priority for her.

It wont be long... the rest of this stupid law will be thrown out. Hopefully, the damage done to Arizona's reputation will soon heal.

Most of the population of the US is in favor of this law. The hotels are having a 10% uptick of business over last year, so the boycott has been a failure.

Protecting the border is a priority for the Governor. The problem is that AZ spends funds ($2.5 Billion) it could use for border guards on health, welfare, schools, etc for the illegals which the Feds are not paying back to the state.

The NM border is less than half of what the AZ border is and there is much less illegal traffic there because of access from Mexico.

California has an even larger illegal problem than AZ, so it is not surprising funds are being spent to keep more of them out and away from welfare freebies which have crippled CA's finances.

altus2006

Old 07-28-2010, 02:15 PM

682 posts, read 2,567,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The part left in - that agencies must enforce federal immigration laws - could be significant. The federal law is quite stern - it is just not enforced. If local law enforcement can enforce federal laws then that is a plus. If they can't ask it might make it tougher, but I can assure you that Arpaio will find a way.

In any case, Arpaio's sweeps are on for tomorrow and the climate for illegals is going to get worse and worse in AZ and other states including laws to refuse their kids birth certificates, make them pay for tuition for their kids in school and more, and more. The real purpose of 1070 was not to arrest illegals. It was to scare them, harass them and make them self-deport. The message is you're not welcome here and the message will get louder and louder.
The best thing people of Arizona can do is to stop doing any business with companies that hire illegals. There are plenty of legals here that need jobs, so it is not that difficult of a task to avoid the illegals.

I agree with your premises.

altus2006

Old 07-28-2010, 02:16 PM

17 posts, read 11,685 times
The Judge did not strike it down. She simply put it on hold for further review. Major difference. She also never said it was unconstitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona