Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:23 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,619 times

Advertisements

The funny thing, to me, is the law (1070) is 10 pages long. The judge's preliminary verdict is over 30 pages long. Was there really that much to say about it?
As Ponderosa has said, most of the law remains intact. Some portions have been blocked for now to be ruled on later. It will be interesting to see the picture more clearly when the dust settles.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
1st grade pol science: federal > state > county <> city (its a toss between city and county in practice)
That's actually not what the Founding Fathers intended. It was supposed to be state > federal > county > city. The constitution set aside some very specific and limited roles of the federal government, and said all other powers belong to the states. Over the last 90-100 years, the feds have been overstepping their bounds and giving themselves power that was never meant to be theirs. And we've let them.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:36 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
seriously?!

for the same reason AZ cannot declare war on costa rica (as much as you want to). you arent a country.

1st grade pol science: federal > state > county <> city (its a toss between city and county in practice)
There are certain rights and laws that should be up to the state and not dictated by the federal government.

Declaring war and immigration laws are two completely different things to compare.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:38 PM

211 posts, read 641,096 times
What if we took all the unused photo radar cameras off the highways and put them along the border...

Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
People are always talking about The Constitution when they're screaming about free speech or carrying guns, but they never refer to it as a contract, which is what it is. It's a contract that binds an individual state to the Union. Remember the Preamble? "In order to form a more perfect Union." The 10th Amendment of the Bill of Rights in our Constitution guarantees States Rights only if they do not violate the Constitution or any Federal laws.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:34 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Arizona Immigration Law: Judge Puts Hold on Key Provisions - ABC News

I'm wondering, if reasonable suspicion was "temporarily blocked", does that mean they don't even need that? Or will some other wording take it's place, like "doubly-extra-reasonable suspicion"? Or something else entirely?
I don't mind that the part requiring federal immigration papers be carried was "temporarily blocked", because legal aliens are required to do that under federal law anyway.
What else was "temporarily blocked"?
I am not a lawyer and haven't even watched Perry Mason for several years but I think I agree with you on this. It may not be as important what she took out as what she left in.

If reasonable suspicion is out but the Federal Law is still in, that seems interesting. And if sancutary cities can be fined, that too seems interesting. And if LE can be sued for not enforcing the law...could be very interesting.

I'm anxious to hear from someone with more of a legal mind than my own, but it seems like some pretty controversial issues remain intact.

I'm wondering if citizens couldn't sue Dept of Homeland Security if they are involved in a traffic accident with an illegal and suffer damages since Homeland security isn't securing the border.(just an example) I've read that you can't sue the Feds as a whole but you can sue departments of the government. Again, my lack of legal knowledge so please, no one hold me to it, I've already stated I'm unsure.

The ruling may not have been all of what Arizona wanted or needed but it seems as though it may show some progress. JMHO

Old 07-28-2010, 04:41 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,173 times
Quote:
That's actually not what the Founding Fathers intended. It was supposed to be state > federal > county > city. The constitution set aside some very specific and limited roles of the federal government, and said all other powers belong to the states. Over the last 90-100 years, the feds have been overstepping their bounds and giving themselves power that was never meant to be theirs. And we've let them.
thats a different issue and a bill giving local uneducated le the power of god while giving repubs votes in the upcoming elections is NOT the way to solve this, the illegals or any other issue come to think of it

Old 07-28-2010, 04:43 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
There are certain rights and laws that should be up to the state and not dictated by the federal government.

Declaring war and immigration laws are two completely different things to compare.
No.

The states do not decide who they let in or who they kick out of the country. Free movement within the country is inherent.

At the national border, it is the federal governments explicit jurisdiction to manage the flow of goods and people.

they are the same in the sense that a state gets to do n e i t h e r

Old 07-28-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
thats a different issue and a bill giving local uneducated le
No need to call law enforcement officers "uneducated". Just because you don't agree with 1070 doesn't mean you should belittle police officers.

Quote:
The states do not decide who they let in or who they kick out of the country.
Arizona does not kick anyone out of the country nor did 1070 give them that right.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,071 times
Quote:
Arizona does not kick anyone out of the country nor did 1070 give them that right.
Exactly.

So that's why it's so worrisome to me that state laws can be shot down and modified like that. Especially since it's a constitutional law.

What will the federal government do next?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona