Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:44 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,363,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
It's true and the only reason why I joined in on the thread. It's weird to hear white people say what the place is like for a black family wanting to move here. How can you really know what it's like for everyone else? My husband can only say what it's like for him (white person) from his perspective and experiences.

This is so true. I only get a glimpse of what certain situations are like for white people since my husband is white. Yet, as a couple some of our situations are very different and a few are similar in Arizona. He doesn't like it because he sees the educational system as being substandard and he feels like people are not as friendly as in Cali. Yet, he thinks it's beautiful here and loves the out doors.

Besides, a greeting of "Arizona love it or leave it" may not sound too neighborly and inviting to others who may be considering moving here.

There - I made a change. Hopefully this one is better, and looks a bit friendlier as a greeting!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 PM

230 posts, read 584,209 times
Default better understanding

Maybe someone who has lived in the "west" can tell me the cultural differences. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is Arizona the kind of place where folks kind of want to be left alone? I always make it a goal to get to know my neighbors (for safety and to find playmates for my kids). It seemed like the folks from out of state were interested in play dates, but the locals were not interested at all. They sort of just stay in the house. This made it hard to adjust.

So we've moved to another neighborhood and it's the same thing.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,075 times
I agree with Annibelle on some points. My family and I just moved here from the east coast, prior to that we lived in Japan. I do not think that Annibelle was trying to say that she wants to be surrounded solely by other blacks. The problem that I have seen is that it is not that diverse here as far as blacks go. I have yet to see any black owned businesses or more than 20 blacks period. Certain things do not sit well with me, like the fact that I am unable to locate someone that can do an african american females hair. My oldest daughter is biracial and I do not want her to feel isolated at school, because she does not look like everyone else, even though she has green eyes, blonde hair and light skin. I do not want either of my daughters to learn about the ignorance of some people at 3 and 5. I would not say that I feel as though the majority of the state has racial issues, but I do feel a bit uncomfortable when people look at us, it is as though blacks are a rare species or something.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,305 times
Default African americans in arizona

I am so annoyed at what i have been reading about the african american community in arizona. If you are new here it will be a little hard to find Soley african american enviroments. I am black and have lived here all my life. In arizona you have to be looking for the black community but it does exist. The Arizona Informant newspaper. Write it up which is another black newspaper, and Arizona black directory can help you find blacks in the metro Phoenix area. It's actually not hard to find the black community here in Phoenix, mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale where ever. You have to be looking for it. If you see someone black ask them where to go. The easiest place to find black people all together in arizona would be at a black church. And there are many many black churches, hair salons, and barber shops! There are many black owned businesses here. There are alot of black organizations, fraternities and sorotities too! And anyone that can't find a place to get there hair done by a black person really can't be all that interested! If you have a biracial child that is half black you should know some black people! There are all types of things for black people to do here. I will admit blacks can't compete with bigger citites with majority black poputlations. The Arizona Black expo is October 25, 2008. Look at [URL="http://www.azexpo.com"]www.azexpo.com[/URL]. I was raised in South Phoenix and we always have gotten BS about how it's where all the crime was and is. there were always just as many nice homes and just as much crime as there is anywhere else. actually 10 years or more ago it wasn't as much! If it was so bad, why has so many White people moved there, all kinds of people have moved over there. Please!!! I also noticed people upset because black people are looking to find other black people. Of course they are. That is a natural human instinct, to want to bond with someone just as yourself. whether it is race, class, education, or whatever! For a Black person new to arizona or moving to arizona your experience is going to be what you make it! Just like any other new experiance you may have!! But There is a Black community of people here! Seek and you shall find!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 PM

16 posts, read 114,294 times
Default I Agree - I Wish Someone Told Me This Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
I'm African-American. I've been living in Southern Ariz. for about 1.5 years. I wish someone would have told me 1.5 years ago not to move here. There are few African-Americans here for a very good reason. Arizona is the most prejudiced state in on the west coast. It is the souths equivalent of Mississippi. The school system is lacking. I never thought I'd see a school system worse than Cali, but it is. I have to drive my children to a different school system. It's okay but not great. My daughter has been called the "n" word by another Kinder at school. Luckily, she didn't know what it meant. Other children exclude her.One girl said, "Don't play with her, she doesn't look like us". Raytheon hires many African-Americans with good salaries and packages. Most do their time(about 3 years) then leave. They can't take the small mindedness and cultural isolation. I struggle, but I'm a fighter. I just don't believe in letting anyone or anyplace get the best of me. Still, I wish I had never come. Many other African-Americans I talk to feel the same way. They all plan to leave in a certain amount of years. I'm sure this blog will get people (who have not walked in my shoes) to say it's the opposite. The people who are from here don't realize the problem because they are used to it. You only know it's a big (and bitter) difference if you come from out of the state. Just remember this: there is no black nucleus, no black owned stores, no cultural places to eat food we enjoy, no black hair salons, nothing. I live in a huge, comfortable home. My husband makes a nice salary. Still, that will never replace the feelings of being culturally and socially isolated. Just don't do it. You will thank me!
I had to highlight your whole post because I agree with everything you said here. Especially what I've highlighted above. I've been here for 3 years and actively working to move out of this state!! I wish someone would have told me what kind of environment this was before I stepped foot into it! Just as background, I am African American as well and although I grew up in New York, I went to college in Florida (an HBCU school as well) and have lived in Georgia for 9 years. In addition, I have also traveled to several different countries (England, France, Zimbabwe, Saudi Arabia and a few islands to name a few) so I'm used to different places and different kinds of people. Still with all of that said, I can honestly say that I have NEVER experienced a more racist and elitist place in my entire life as I have in Arizona! True, I'm in Phoenix and not in Lake Havasu but if things are this way within AZ's major city then I can only imagine how it would be in on the outskirts!

First and foremost, if you're looking for an environment that is familiar to you - as in a close knit community of African American people - you may be out of luck. I've noticed that Black people here (natives) tend to act like they don't see each other. You say hi and they'll typically act like you're transparent. There may be exceptions but the majority rules. You may have luck with those AA's who have moved from another state and haven't gotten used to AZ though because they still remain friendly, will speak and can still look you in the eyes. I can only guess that the native AA are a bit different because many are used to the way they are treated here while those who are used to being treated better know they are worthy and act like it!

As for entertainment, it's pretty dead here because there's no place to really go that caters to us. Hair salons, hair supply places, clubs that CATER to African Americans for the most part do not exist here!To those who want to deny this notice that I said "CATER TO". So you'll have one or two clubs that are open but really cater to other cultures and simply sprinkle AA music into their line up to appear to be "down". If you're looking for food that caters to us, then you might be disappointed in that area too. There's an abundance of Mexican restaurants, otherwise you'll be hard pressed to find anything topping average.

As for schools, the school system here ranks in the lower half of the country withstanding maybe a few schools here that made the list of decent schools. But that doesn't mean much either when it comes to racial issues. My daughter goes to one of the High Schools that they deem exceptional in the North Valley and ever since Middle School she's had a hard time! I can't tell you how many times she's either been called the N word or is simply ignored by other children and even teachers. I've checked to see if there were other reasons as to why this was happening. I already know that she's kind and friendly as I have observed her around other people when she doesn't know that I am watching and she's reasonably assertive. Still, one after the other I've had problems with people here in regards to us simply being African Americans. From stares, to being ignored, to snide remarks that do not fly under my radar - it is ridiculous! I can't tell you how many times people have made assumptions about my level of education, where I live, what kind of music I listen to, who I date, etc..... none of which came from me but the color of my skin. In length, this place has got to be the most culturally oblivious place I have ever been!

As you can tell I can go on and on about this but I'm sure you get the point. Just like Annibell I expect that there will be either someone who isn't African American who will dispute this (which is useless because they wouldn't know what racism looks like or feels like unless it happened to them on a daily basis) or it may be someone who is African American but has been here for so long that they've gotten used to how we are treated here. I don't expect them to understand. Either way, I'm adding my observations to Annibelle because I want those of us who plan to relocate to know that she is neither overreacting or wrong in her assessment. I just read that the person who posted this is already here and I wish her the best. I can only hope that if anyone else is asking a question similar to this that they'll visit before they move all of their belongings down here. You may be glad that you did.*****

Old 10-21-2008, 12:51 AM

68 posts, read 286,082 times
Quote:
Maybe someone who has lived in the "west" can tell me the cultural differences. Correct me if I'm wrong. Is Arizona the kind of place where folks kind of want to be left alone? I always make it a goal to get to know my neighbors (for safety and to find playmates for my kids). It seemed like the folks from out of state were interested in play dates, but the locals were not interested at all. They sort of just stay in the house. This made it hard to adjust.

So we've moved to another neighborhood and it's the same thing.

It is. It's one of those places where people move for retirement, or for cheaper housing.

Most everyone is a transplant and there is very little feel to the city.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Default Thanks for understanding

For those who get that I wasn't trying to hurt native AZ's and just share my own experiences, thanks for your understanding. It means more than you'll ever understand. Isn't this what the forum is for? To find understanding, relate experiences, etc?
Sorry to repeat, but if you read all the comments, you'll see that I was never looking to surround myself around only with black people. My husband is white, my church is white, where we moved from in Cali was predominantly white. I'm also well traveled, and most places I've lived are around white people. It's not like I'd ever purposely try to avoid white people. Just because I shared negatives experiences doesn't mean I don't like white people, but I'll always have a serious problem if someone hurts my children or treats them indifferently or unfairly. I am a mom after all.
Most places we lived, our kids(biracial) and my white husband was no big deal - until we moved here. So, of course, I can notice the difference immediately. So, just by the way other Arizonans respond so nasty is to my and others comments exactly proves the point that it is not a nice place for blacks or at least not the best place .
The best way to adjust is to know that you are not alone. The second is to say hi to everyone no matter how snide people are. It will pay off. The really nice people will make themselves known. I have a really nice Hispanic/white friend. She even says that her relatives hate black people and see blacks as being beneath them, but her father raised her differently. She has always been different. This woman is a blessing to me. She does not look hispanic, but white. She explains to me how she hears awful comments about blacks all the time here. People speak about it like it's normal.
Thanks for explaining to me what AZ is really like and that people really do want to be left alone.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:52 PM

[quote=naynay33;5762086]I am so annoyed at what i have been reading about the african american community in arizona. If you are new here it will be a little hard to find Soley african american enviroments. I am black and have lived here all my life. In arizona you have to be looking for the black community but it does exist. The Arizona Informant newspaper. Write it up which is another black newspaper, and Arizona black directory can help you find blacks in the metro Phoenix area. It's actually not hard to find the black community here in Phoenix, mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale where ever. You have to be looking for it. If you see someone black ask them where to go. The easiest place to find black people all together in arizona would be at a black church. And there are many many black churches, hair salons, and barber shops! There are many black owned businesses here. There are alot of black organizations, fraternities and sorotities too! And anyone that can't find a place to get there hair done by a black person really can't be all that interested! If you have a biracial child that is half black you should know some black people! There are all types of things for black people to do here. I will admit blacks can't compete with bigger citites with majority black poputlations. The Arizona Black expo is October 25, 2008. Look at www.azexpo.com. I was raised in South Phoenix and we always have gotten BS about how it's where all the crime was and is. there were always just as many nice homes and just as much crime as there is anywhere else. actually 10 years or more ago it wasn't as much! If it was so bad, why has so many White people moved there, all kinds of people have moved over there. Please!!! I also noticed people upset because black people are looking to find other black people. Of course they are. That is a natural human instinct, to want to bond with someone just as yourself. whether it is race, class, education, or whatever! For a Black person new to arizona or moving to arizona your experience is going to be what you make it! Just like any other new experiance you may have!! But There is a Black community of people here! Seek and you shall find![/quo

Naynay33, I guess you know where everything is because you are a NATIVE. So, I guess it's hard for a native to understand or relate in any way what it's like for a new person to AZ.

Try to get a clue. Not all black folks attend black churches. So, how would a black person, who is new to AZ, who does not attend a black church, who is not in a black frat or sorority, who lives in a predominantly white town - know where to find a salon?

Also, if you read the comments you'd see that I was never looking to bond with other black folks. I just don't accept how too many people in AZ that I've run into still think it's okay to call my daughter the N word and say that it's normal for a child to say don't play with my daughter because she doesn't look like us and socially isolate her. I hope that even you can understand that.

True, your experience is what you make it, but Arizona made the experience for me and many others who look like me - negative. Hopefully, others reading the forum from all over will take note and be prepared before they move here. That's all.

Last edited by annibelle; 11-01-2008 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 11-01-2008, 05:40 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,973,745 times
I don't think there is a single city in the entire state of Arizona where the percentage of blacks is in the double digits.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 AM

Jeff, it really does not matter to me if AZ does not have lots of black people. I think most blacks realize that before coming to AZ. The demographics and statistics are a click away. What matters to most minorities is how will people treat their children. People not accepting me does not hurt my feelings. I'm an adult so I can handle myself. I can ignore people. If I can't find a place to get my hair done, so what. I'll just have to make do. But when folks are mean to my kids, it changes something. It's different when it happens to my children. The first thing you think is - those children must learn how to be bigoted from their parents. Then you think, gee , the parents think it's okay for their children to behave that way? Then you think, this is not a great place if even the children behave that way.
Anyway, if you can't understand that you're probably missing the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona