Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 PM

943 posts, read 2,522,992 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We lived in Sierra Vista and I always felt safe except for a few times while hiking in the Huachucas. I had many friends that lived in Hereford and didn't like the mess the illegals caused, but never felt like they had to move. You will see a very strong Border Patrol presence in the area and most of the illegals are "passing through" Cochise Cty. and don't stay long. They tend to move on to larger cities with better work opportunities. If you go to svherald.com and google a car accident about 3 years ago, that was probably the most devastating incident with illegals while we lived there. I was a nurse at the local hospital and a couple of Americans were killed in the Border Patrol/illegal chase and many illegals were injured/killed. Other issues I saw as a nurse was the devastation to the medical clinics/hospitals due to treating illegals. There were many days we would have a patient that was illegal with a Border Patrol agent "guarding" the room. There were a couple of incidents with illegals stealing cars/robbing people out in the country, but I don't recall that happening to frequently. I guess it depends on how remote of an area. We lived in a subdivision and there were no problems there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 06:24 AM

39 posts, read 358,200 times
Here is my advise: DON'T MOVE TO A BORDER TOWN.

I can't make it any more clear that that! Everything you have seen on the news about absolutely out of control illegal immigration is true.

It's been estimated it will take $20 million to clear all the trash from the desert... 5,000 (yes FIVE THOUSAND) illegals entering Arizona nightly makes a mess.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:30 PM

23 posts, read 143,312 times
Here is a story...against better advice I camped in my Westy van close to the border and I tell the truth when I say that folks crossed through all night long. Some I saw, some I just heard, but there were more than 100 in my one spot alone. I told some guy in a store this the next day and he looked at me like I was an idiot for not knowing this was the case, and told me to go check all the smashed crops from constant crossing. It's not a good situation going on, I can tell you that much.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 25,029 times
Default border towns????

Which towns are you referring to as border towns?? Would you include Benson or St David and those towns close by as having problems with the illegals?

We are considering buying property in that area.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2007, 02:56 PM

6 posts, read 20,435 times
I live in Hereford and I love it, about 10 miles from the border! I have lived there for 2 1/2 years and have yet to see an illegal alien, I know what they look like I used to live in El Paso and they used to come up to our house for food and water all the time.

We have never had an issue. I have a 4 acre lot that is fully fenced and I have three dogs. I sleep with my windows open at night. I do own a couple of guns but I have never had to use them. Yes, you do need to feel that your life is in danger before you shoot anyone. By the way, you can carry a gun in AZ as long as it is not concealed unless you have a concealed weapons lisence.

You are right about the media.

That is my experience.

Thank your wife's son for his service. My husband also served in OIF, thankfully, he came back fine.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 24,695 times
I'm Border Patrol, and I live in Hereford.

The chase mentioned in above post that resulted in that bad crash was NOT a Border Patrol chase.

I can tell you tons of stories about Cochise County.

But I consider this area pretty safe. If you have never owned a gun, I'm not sure what to tell you. Except buy a shotgun for home defense. You'd probably be fine w/o one, but probably. Get a shotgun where you can mount a light.

And no, you can't just shoot a tresspasser that's just going by your property. Busting into your home is a far other story. You'd have to justify as to why you used deadly force. There is a higher standard for me.

There is alot of alien and dope smuggling activity in Cochise County. Much to the oblivion to the public. Some folks are sharp and do call it it. Most are like, "Aww My Gawd!! Is that bales of marijuana". Usual response when we pull out bales of dope and the public is around.

Everyone acts as if this is news. Research the history of this area and you'll see it's been going on since the 1800's. Cattle, booze, and now dope and aliens. If you go to Tombstone, in the old County courthouse which is a museum now for AZ parks, go to the 2nd story. And on the wall you can read about Jeff Davis Milton. Or read it here: Jeff Davis Milton So you see, not much has really changed. I find I an honor to patrol the exact same grounds as he did and doing the exact same thing. Almost.

None the less, Cochise County and Sierra Vista is a great place to live. on the average it's 10 to 15 degrees cooler here than Tucson. It'll even snow a bit. Not bad for a border town. And SV is probably the most non-Mexicanized town near the border.

As far as "dangers" in this area and the mountains, mountain lions and bears will be a bigger threat. There is a belief that the mountain lions are well fed. They seem to like Guatemalan food, and no, I'm not kidding. I would guess that it would be a good motivation as not to fall behind while travelling in a group of illegal aliens. Rattle snakes have claimed a few to include the owner of the Mesquite Tree restaurant, but they always seem to involve some guy being drunk and saying "Crikey" alot in an Austrailian accent. Then not going to the Hospital. 1 out of 5 bats carry rabbies. Don't pick them up if you find one. On that note, keep your garage door closed.

Centipede bites are painful, but not deadly. They will find themselves under your sheets. We have the most venemous scorpions in the US, but I think 4 ppl have died of scorpion stings in 11 years in the whole US. It is Arizona. Although it may seem like a good idea at the time, don't shoot at them to kill them. Your rounds will find a rock and come back at you. And no, your death will not be considered caused by the critter. Scorpions are easy to kill, centipedes are tough. Leave the rattlers alone. There is lots of quality wildlife here, to include rare jaguars.

But if you want to hear old west style BP stories, come on down here and I'll tell you alot over a few beers. I know some cool places in Bisbee to do that sort of thing. And all my stories are true. Some even quite funny.

Naco is, and has always been a smuggling town. Naco is a $4ithole. Naco was areal bombed by a drunk Irish pilot. The first areal bombing in the U.S. Not like the twin towers though. There is an old abandoned cavalry post there. It should be restored and preserved, but it's not, because Naco is a smuggling town $4ithole. That is why.

I love this place. I regret having to move to Yuma next week. But I also like Yuma alot too.

Last edited by i303; 11-13-2007 at 09:01 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM

2,082 posts, read 925,933 times
I'm thinking of moving to SV because of the weather I live in SoCal and hate the liberal politics of KALIFORNIA. I will be going to SV in Jan. 08 to see for my self.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 PM

6 posts, read 24,695 times
My house is for sale!!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:15 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,723,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i303 View Post
My house is for sale!!!!
Thanks, i303 . . . for the great "lowdown" on Cochise County.

Very interesting from a professional viewpoint.

You deserve a "positive" punch.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:02 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,759,139 times
i303 would be welcomed to post his stories here anytime. I love western stories, even modern ones. Great information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona