Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 10:54 PM

4 posts, read 15,122 times

Advertisements

Greetings to everyone...

I will be graduating from college within the next few months, and am considering a relocation to any of the three towns listed above..

We visited Arizona last month, and stayed in Sedona... From our trips to Flagstaff and Phoenix, I gathered that either one could be my future home..

Though we were in Phoenix during the warmest week of the year, and I gathered that the whole deal about the heat is overrated. However, I realize if I were to put up with it day after day, it may get old.. Regarding the structures, I know other posters have a different philosophy on this, but I LOVED how the cactii met up with palm trees, into new buildings aka strip malls.. I also liked how there was always something going on, and all four of the professional sports organizations have a team located in the metropolis.. I realized there wasn't much of a nightlife, except exiting Chase Field after Diamondback games.. which is better when they win.. Although it's fun to experience a distinctive nightlife, I probably wouldn't make that my No. 1 factor in deciding where to move to.. It probably wouldn't even make the top ten. Since I have lived in small town West Texas all of my life, I really enjoyed what I saw there..

After going up to Flagstaff, I realized that would be a decent place too, though pricey in some areas. One of the days we were there was their warmest day of the year, and it was 92 degrees.. Other than Flagstaff being an appealing as well as historical place, it is also close to Sedona, Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. It also seemed to be a laid back college town.. Since I have grown up in a small town w/ a 10K population, I don't think it would be as much of a jump than Phoenix..

As for Tuscon, I've never been through there, but have read interesting things about it...

Any advice and/or suggestions would be helpful, and please set aside the trash talk...

Thanks!!

-Rew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 02:25 AM

36 posts, read 303,215 times
Of your 3 choices I would choose Phoenix. I personally would never live in Tucson. Flagstaff can be nice but I'm not one for the college atmosphere up there. Although Flagstaff is much further North you can still get to Las Vegas from Phoenix in 4 hours (if you're a speeder like me). Phoenix has a lot of different things to offer, you would just have to find what location would best fit your needs, otherwise you probably won't be happy here. Phoenix does have a nightlife, you have to look for it though or know someone that knows where to go because there are a lot of very different types of places.
I hope that helps,
Nicole

Old 08-27-2006, 10:05 AM

113 posts, read 524,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
Of your 3 choices I would choose Phoenix. I personally would never live in Tucson. Flagstaff can be nice but I'm not one for the college atmosphere up there. Although Flagstaff is much further North you can still get to Las Vegas from Phoenix in 4 hours (if you're a speeder like me). Phoenix has a lot of different things to offer, you would just have to find what location would best fit your needs, otherwise you probably won't be happy here. Phoenix does have a nightlife, you have to look for it though or know someone that knows where to go because there are a lot of very different types of places.
I hope that helps,
Nicole
Definately. I second that.

Arizona's scenery and outdoor life is like no other. It doesnt matter where you go in the state, its all equally amazing.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:35 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,019 times
The problem with Flagstaff is that there is MAJOR tourist congestion. Because of that reason, I don't think I could live there, but it's always nice for short visits.

Think of Phoenix as a method of last resort. Most people who move to Phoenix from out of state.. Leave.

I'd personally have to go with Tucson, though, you'd have to go down there and check it out first hand.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:32 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,714 times
1. Flagstaff: by far the nicest, most down-to-earth and community-centric city in the state. Overall, very educated and polite people for the most part, since the university's there & it's a very outdoorsy, health-conscious and liberal-minded town compared to the rest of AZ. And the best weather, if you don't mind cool, mild, sunny winters and you like skiing. Personally, I'd take that over this godawful baking-hot Phoenix oven any day. It's a little small, if you like bigger cities, and it doesn't have much in the way of an entry-level job market or any industry. But if that's not a concern and you already have something lined up, Flag's the way to go.

2, Tucson. Also a much more organic and down-to-earth feel. It's got better access to the outdoors, the desert is much better preserved, & the university provides a substantial population of young, educated people & interesting cultural things to do. The weather, although definitely more uncomfortable more of the year than Flag, still runs around 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix in summer b/c of the elevation, smaller area & less concrete, which makes a huge difference.

Distant #3: Phoenix. See any of my above posts. Absolute disaster of a city. Think L.A. but without the beach and with horrendous heat for half the year. If you absolutely, positively, without a doubt have no choice and have to move to Arizona, and the other 2 cities aren't an option, well, I'd still try to find a way out of it. Trust me- mismanaged, corrupt, traffic-choked and sprawl-eroded mess of a city. If you have a family and lots of cash in the bank, parts of Scottsdale are tolerable in the winter months. But even that only holds true if you're into golf, spas, clubbing, and shopping. Stay away if you have any sense of what a city is and should be, cause this ain't it.

Last edited by steve22; 08-27-2006 at 07:43 PM..

Old 08-27-2006, 07:39 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider View Post
Definately. I second that.

Arizona's scenery and outdoor life is like no other. It doesnt matter where you go in the state, its all equally amazing.
Best outdoor states/provinces:

1. British Columbia
2. Alaska
3. Washington
5. Colorado
6. Utah
7. Hawaii
8. California
9. New Mexico
10. Montana
11. Wyoming
12. Alberta
13. Oregon
14. Idaho
15. Arizona
16. Vermont
17. West Virginia
18. Maine
19. New Hampshire
20. North Carolina

I'd call it fair at best. Lots of other western states I like better.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:21 AM

36 posts, read 303,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post

1. British Columbia
2. Alaska
3. Washington
5. Colorado
6. Utah
7. Hawaii
8. California
9. New Mexico
10. Montana
11. Wyoming
12. Alberta
13. Oregon
14. Idaho
15. Arizona
16. Vermont
17. West Virginia
18. Maine
19. New Hampshire
20. North Carolina

Of all the places listed above Arizona, I would only ever live in California, in a few select cities, and possibly Oregon. As beautiful as places like Alaska, B.C., and Hawaii are, I personally could not live there. Being ranked number 15 isn't bad though, a decision is not made solely on scenery.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:02 AM

68 posts, read 254,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post

1. British Columbia
2. Alaska
3. Washington
5. Colorado
6. Utah
7. Hawaii
8. California
9. New Mexico
10. Montana
11. Wyoming
12. Alberta
13. Oregon
14. Idaho
15. Arizona
16. Vermont
17. West Virginia
18. Maine
19. New Hampshire
20. North Carolina

Steve22, You have to stop telling us what is best only for you. Your word is not the rule. You also need to stop telling people they cant like Phoenix just because you hate it. I dont want to say say anything that will get me banned again but PLEASE, steve22, I know you're allowed your views but PLEASE stop writing them like it's your rule and noone else's. Case in point. Someone wrote AZ scenery is awesome anywhere. But you wont let them have that view. You write back telling the person AZ is about #15 in your book and the scenery is fair at best. Steve22, just let people think what they think without you telling them they cant think that way because it's not o.k. with you. Again, I hope I didn't say anything that would get me banned.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:41 PM

62 posts, read 266,893 times
Quote:
I realized there wasn't much of a nightlife, except exiting Chase Field after Diamondback games.. which is better when they win.. Although it's fun to experience a distinctive nightlife, I probably wouldn't make that my No. 1 factor in deciding where to move to..
There is plenty of nightlife in Phoenix, perhaps not downtown (though some will say different, if you know where to go), downtown Tempe and Scottsdale both have bustling nightlife, and both would appeal to you as you are still relatively young.

Quote:
Absolute disaster of a city. Think L.A.
You do realize....plenty of people like LA? Similarly, you must not have lived in many places. If you think Phoenix is traffic-choked, move to a larger city and you will be in for a surprise.

Quote:
you can still get to Las Vegas from Phoenix in 4 hours (if you're a speeder like me).
!!!! Just how fast do you drive?! I have never heard of Phoenix - LV in 4 hours?! haha.

^^adelmo, nothing you said was out of line. Its definitely true. Steve22 does not realize that there are people who have different tastes from him. He is one who yearns urbanity, hates the desert and is intolerable to heat. Why live here? His comments can barely be taken with a grain of salt.

I would say Phoenix would be a great choice, especially for being straight out of college. Phoenix has many great jobs available, and it provides the culture of many larger cities. There is much more to do in Phoenix and I am assuming you as a young adult, aren't going to be sitting in every evening watching TiVo'd episodes of Oprah. The East Valley is definitely the place you should check out. The heat is bearable (only 3 months are hot, but really, are you going to be standing outside all day? If you want to tan, its really not that hot, its quite nice.)

Really, Phoenix has much to offer, and both Flagstaff and Tucson are only an hour drive away, perfect for a weekend get away. Nightlife, Shopping, sports, entertainment, jobs, great singles market, great outdoor recreation, great dining options, etc. I would suggest you to take time to look at all three before you decide however. The three cities are extremely different.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:58 PM

68 posts, read 254,068 times
Default thanks

Thanks Steel87

I know everyone has a right to their opinion. People are totally allowed to hate Phoenix, I just have a problem with steve22 when there is a positive post of Phoenix or whatever and not only does he disagree, but it's almost like he's telling the person they cant like so and so because I dont, so you cant. Steve22 I have nothing against you but let people like or dislike at their disgression without you telling them they can or cannot. If you noticed I have never bashed a city or state that you like because I dont play that and the cities you mentioned all have great qualities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona