Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 05:23 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times

Advertisements

But they are not high paying jobs. High paying jobs still getting outsourced or standing still:

"
[LEFT]Most of the higher-paying manufacturing and technology companies, such as Raytheon Co., Intel Corp., Honeywell, Freescale Semiconductor and Lockheed Martin Corp., are largely standing still or losing employees in the state, perhaps to their overseas operations.

Read more: Arizona top companies: Jobs added in 2010

"

So much for the pump and dump RE cheerleaders in the Phoenix forum saying houses are a good deal.

I say the top end houses are going to drift downward. I recall the Optima Camelback lofts on Camelback were pricing one bedroom lofts in the $900s. Now the lowest priced one is at $140k. You can get a fifth floor 2,000 square foot loft on the north shore at Tempe Towne Lake with its own private elevator for $300,000 and HOA of $475. Not bad. But stay tuned for further price drops.[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:14 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
But they are not high paying jobs. High paying jobs still getting outsourced or standing still:

"
[LEFT]Most of the higher-paying manufacturing and technology companies, such as Raytheon Co., Intel Corp., Honeywell, Freescale Semiconductor and Lockheed Martin Corp., are largely standing still or losing employees in the state, perhaps to their overseas operations.

Read more: Arizona top companies: Jobs added in 2010

"

So much for the pump and dump RE cheerleaders in the Phoenix forum saying houses are a good deal.

I say the top end houses are going to drift downward. I recall the Optima Camelback lofts on Camelback were pricing one bedroom lofts in the $900s. Now the lowest priced one is at $140k. You can get a fifth floor 2,000 square foot loft on the north shore at Tempe Towne Lake with its own private elevator for $300,000 and HOA of $475. Not bad. But stay tuned for further price drops.[/LEFT]
I'll admit, I was a bit surprised by this report. When I read it, I was thinking of you because you made that claim before this article came out. You claimed the high paying jobs were not there. And that has been a criticism of the Phoenix job market. There are a lot of jobs that are being created but most of them seem to be retail or low level tech jobs.

Nonetheless, I do think the state needs to be more bold with regards to it's tax policy. If you want to bring high paying jobs here you need to abolish the state income tax. That will bring higher paying jobs to this state as companies will take advantage of the no income tax status and move branches here.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
Thanks AZRiverFan,

I've been saying this stuff about jobs in various threads because I work in the very industry that is stagnant or being outsourced from Arizona!

It's not only the lack of high paying jobs, it's the lack of stable high paying jobs that will keep people from making a 30 year committment in the community by getting a mortgage.

Jobs do not last 40 years like those of the working man in the 1950s. My longest job was eleven years and then I moved to Arizona and have been getting maybe 4 year jobs at the most since then, but mostly outside of Arizona. After age 32 you don't want a 30 year mortgage anyway if you want to retire in your early 60s. I think people will wake up one day and realize that their jobs will be moved to other cities and they should not assume a Ponzi scheme of more population to buy their house when they have to move elsewhere. "We" want illegals to get out of Arizona, well some of them were in the market for real estate. Bam! Interest rates have to go up at some point. Bam! Taxes will go up and spending will have to go down. Bam! I can see a permanent unemployment rate above 8% if we decide to stop being world cop, get a lot of federal and state employees out of work (spending cuts), and if the taxes increase, which will squeeze the consumer from being able to make payments and from spending on the economy. A vicious circle for a couple more decades of over 8% unemployment.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Arizona, if you can't see another WALMART from the WALMART you are at, you're lost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona