Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:24 PM

286 posts, read 678,672 times

Advertisements

Of course,I have Googled Sierra Vista with regard to medical facilities...but I want to
know what happens if you need expert surgical care..in that remote town.
I despise surgeons because several of them crippled me...and 90% of the 30 plus
surgeons whom I met with copped an attitude with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 09:59 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,238,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
Of course,I have Googled Sierra Vista with regard to medical facilities...but I want to
If that's the case, why do you care where they are?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:10 PM

106 posts, read 247,047 times
You seem like you'd be better off going north than south. Flagstaff is pretty liberal and I'm sure it has plenty of land up for grabs. Flagstaff is also near a couple creeks in the Coconino National Forest, and it's a lot rainier and snowier than other parts of AZ such as the valley.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:35 AM

563 posts, read 1,499,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddesertfox View Post
Did I miss a post about someone needing a medical surgeon in SV? I'm not 100% sure what that has to do with the original poster.... BUT. They do have a helicopter at the local hospital to airlift people to Tucson if need be. There are hundreds of small towns that are more remote and smaller than Sierra Vista and at least Sierra Vista has a hospital, period.

I have been in SV for about a year, and I don't know what the high school is like, or really in general what peoples stances are on such families. It's a pretty religious town - which is way more relevant to this than it being so military. I wish I could say that SV would be accepting and that if you sort of 'kept to yourselves' no one would give you a problem, and that you wouldn't have trouble making friends, but I really don't know. I want to say that a lot of people I've met and interact with occasionally seem like they would be pretty open to the subject. As many religious people as there are, there are about as many "crunchy" type of people from what I see.
Bisbee is a bit of an artsy place, isn't crazy far from SV, and does seem like people there might be generally more accepting than maybe SV.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,719,454 times
The last two Representatives were Gabby Giffords and Ron Barber, both Democrats. Both were also shot. It is a military town, the majority of the population is either in the Army or retired from it. Tucson or Bisbee are probably more liberal but if you want to be close to FtHuachuca it is just fine here. My only problem is that it is remote. I often have to drive to Tucson for things I can't find here

Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 PM

563 posts, read 1,499,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The last two Representatives were Gabby Giffords and Ron Barber, both Democrats. Both were also shot. It is a military town, the majority of the population is either in the Army or retired from it. Tucson or Bisbee are probably more liberal but if you want to be close to FtHuachuca it is just fine here. My only problem is that it is remote. I often have to drive to Tucson for things I can't find here

I hear of people going to Tucson for things they need a lot. What are you getting that you need to go to Tucson? I have not left town in... Well, since may to pick up/drop of family at the airport. We never go to Tucson unless it's passing through/for the airport.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:37 PM

861 posts, read 2,193,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Both shot by a avowed liberal and a crazy person...wait was that redundant...???

Old 01-10-2017, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcowgill1971 View Post
My Partner and I are moving to AZ and looking for a gay friendly location, with land for horses and ATVs, etc. We have 3 teens( all ages) that are coming along as we have a blended, fostered, adopted family and want them to be comfortable in their new home. We would like acreage and nearby water, hence Sierra Vista? Any ideas on this or another location that might be better?
Thanks,
Michelle

Hello Michelle,

I came upon your question looking for some LBGT groups to join in Sierra Vista. I think I am probably one of the best people to answer your questions regarding Sierra Vista's diversity or lack of. I am a lesbian and currently live in Sierra Vista with my partner. I've live here since I was eight years old. I graduated from high school from Buena High school and attended college across the country. I've been all over the states especially the West Coast. I have returned to Sierra Vista for my career in Computer Science. I work hand in hand with the military though I am not military myself. I plan on delving further into my career and establishing myself further before relocating. I can provide you with insight to what your children my experience in the Sierra Vista's school system. As well as what you all might experience in your careers and everyday life as a gay couple.

First of all it is not a diverse enough environment considering the military does provides more diversity as far as ethnicity. However, most of the military here are uniform in thinking and it makes sense since that's part of their everyday life. Unfortunately that way of thinking is not very open minded to homosexuals. I was closeted most of my life especially growing up here. I doubt your children would feel welcomed or accepted if their friends found out about their family dynamic. Though kids are more open minded than most adults here. This is a retirement town and the adults/elderly are extremely narrow minded. The few groups that I have joined in support of LBGT have been organized by individuals from Bisbee. They were lovely people ranging from parents of gays to friends of gays that had recently relocated to Sierra Vista. A rarity if I may so. As a lesbian that wants a family of her own I do not feel comfortable and would not raise my family here. I make frequent trips to Bisbee and I would recommend Bisbee over Sierra Vista. Overall, I would recommend Tucson and Phoenix, where you could live out of town with enough land for your hobbies. While keeping the diverse city culture within reach.

I would not live here if it wasn't for my career and the opportunities it has provided me. I will make my way soon enough.

Wish you and yours the best.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:07 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,159,461 times
I wonder if the OP ever found their answer...since the original post was almost 6 years ago...

Old 01-11-2017, 10:20 PM

344 posts, read 643,615 times
There is a liberal in the town. Her name is Barbara Williams and was the most popular teacher at the High School (A good one) Barb is now on the School Board. Her hubby is a retired Colonel who never saw combat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona