Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:28 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,748,651 times

Advertisements

I know some will say this is crazy, but I have had the opportunity to travel and visit many cities here and abroad. While there are locations that I absolutely love, I realize how fortunate I am to be living in the desert. If you really compare Arizona with a lot of other states we have a lot going for us, weather included!

Just to make sure you understand, I am not coming from a "my state is better than yours!" place, but a place of grattitude. Arizona is not for everyone just as NY and LA aren't for everyone.

I didn't think I'd like living in the desert coming from the East. Twelve years later, I can't see myself moving back East. Anyone else experience this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 PM

456 posts, read 1,504,649 times
I love it here. I originally came here at 13 y.o. because my parents moved here for my dad and my health (Asthma). I wasn't happy here, wanted to go back to NYC. Didn't happen.
It took a few years, but my appreciation for the desert and the AZ lifestyle took off. As retirement approached, I realized I didn't have to stay in Yuma or even AZ, but I came to the realization, there is no place like AZ. I love the Oregon coast, the redwoods of Cali and the forests of Washington st., but I decided to stay here in AZ. As far as going back East, I have no desire, not even to visit. There is still lots to see and do here in the West.

Curly

Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,770,988 times
"In spite of the heat and sometimes crazy politics . . . ?" What heat and crazy politics, goolsbyjazz?

First thing each morning when I check the National News, I quickly realize how thankful I am to be living in Arizona. Regardless of the season, Arizona has the best weather in the country. Also, our politics reflect more common sense and logic than all of the BS out of Washington.

I love living in Arizona and definitely plan to stay.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:09 PM

932 posts, read 1,967,471 times
I loveee living here. I have lived here for nearly 18 years and enjoyed much of my time. I have traveled all around the U.S and to Europe so I know what it's like to have their weather, and it sure ain't as pleasent as ours. It took 2 days of sporadic rainshowers and soaked clothes which forced me to wear a swimming suit back into Hamburg, Germany's Central train station to know that Arizona will be the right place for me for the rest of my life. Although, I thought it was hilarious.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 PM

605 posts, read 707,306 times
I hope I feel the same way. My husband and I are seriously planning on moving to Tucson (my husband was born and raised there) from Southern California. Our other option was (is???) Portland, OR. Either way, we need a change (although I love, love, LOVE Southern California - we have EVERYTHING here). The housing market is too expensive here though.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:48 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,718,627 times
Lived in a lot of states and climates in our time.
Settled in Prescott after living in the lower elevations and love it.
Less wind and heat where I am located now.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,938,033 times
[quote=goolsbyjazz;20415627]I know some will say this is crazy, but I have had the opportunity to travel and visit many cities here and abroad. While there are locations that I absolutely love, I realize how fortunate I am to be living in the desert. If you really compare Arizona with a lot of other states we have a lot going for us, weather included!

Just to make sure you understand, I am not coming from a "my state is better than yours!" place, but a place of grattitude. Arizona is not for everyone just as NY and LA aren't for everyone.

I didn't think I'd like living in the desert coming from the East. Twelve years later, I can't see myself moving back East. Anyone else experience this?[/quote

I love Arizona. I guess I should preface that by saying that I'm a native, born and raised, so this really IS my "home". I have lived in different states...CA, OR, ID, AK, MI, NV...for varying lengths of time so have experienced many different types of environment and weather. In the state I have lived from Tucson to Grand Canyon, including Payson, Prescott, Flagstaff and Cottonwood so have experienced different environments and weather instate as well. There truly is "something for everyone" in Arizona...if they just want to look for it. Even being a native and living here for so many years, there are still places I've not seen/been to. In fact, next week, I am doing a "nostalgia trip" to Tucson and points south. It's been a long time since I've been down there and I'm really looking forward to it.

It makes my heart glad to hear people say good things about my state just because I DO love it and think it's the greatest. Arizona definitely has it's 'faults'...just like everywhere else...but it will always be "home" to me and the five generations of us who live here.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:20 PM

My wife was born and raised here too.
The exception there is that she will not venture into the lower valley until it cools off, even to see her relatives.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:25 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,938,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
My wife was born and raised here too.
The exception there is that she will not venture into the lower valley until it cools off, even to see her relatives.
It's very rare for me to head south, especially to Phx. because even though I was born there I don't like it much anymore. It's too big, too crowded, too much traffic for me, etc.. Half of my family lives there but I rarely see them. I tell them the road goes both ways but, like me, they don't take the time to 'hit the road'. I'll see a few of them next week though. I, literally, have 'dozens of cousins' alllll over this state but most are within a 100 mile radius.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:28 PM

I agree with your downsides.
She was born in Tombstone of all places and raised on a small ranch between St. David and there.
She still does not like the heat.
Her Mother wants her to come visit and she told her not until Oct.
It is nice there then however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona