Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 PM

69 posts, read 224,171 times

Advertisements

I'm jealous! I would move there in a heartbeat except my wife would probably divorce me! LOL. Still dreaming though! The "progressive" politics here in California and in DC is killing me. Gotta watch my blood pressure ya know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
I was born & raised in Arizona, and remain here for different reasons ... but the climate is not one of them. Despite what everyone says about the dry heat being more comfortable than the humidity, etc., the fact of the matter is that too much of any kind of weather can become monotonous. In our case, we get a little too much sunshine and not enough moisture during most of the year. This might be appealing to some, but not to everybody.

So with that in mind, I'm wondering if anybody actually moved here for reasons other than a change in the weather/climate. In reading through the posts on this thread, it seems to be all about why our weather is so much nicer and why our dry heat is more tolerable than in other parts of the country. Did anybody choose Arizona for essential reasons, such as job opportunities, promotions, starting a business, being close to family, etc.?

As for me, my job keeps me here, as well as being close to family. Even though I don't always agree with the politics here, I will have to admit that I like our gun laws that tend to favor the property owner more than the criminal. I like the fact that our workforce is not dominated by corrupt labor unions. And even though there has been quite a bit of controversy over it, I'm thankful that our state government has become more willing to crack down on the problem of illegal immigration.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:27 AM

339 posts, read 832,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I know some will say this is crazy, but I have had the opportunity to travel and visit many cities here and abroad. While there are locations that I absolutely love, I realize how fortunate I am to be living in the desert. If you really compare Arizona with a lot of other states we have a lot going for us, weather included!

Just to make sure you understand, I am not coming from a "my state is better than yours!" place, but a place of grattitude. Arizona is not for everyone just as NY and LA aren't for everyone.

I didn't think I'd like living in the desert coming from the East. Twelve years later, I can't see myself moving back East. Anyone else experience this?
I love living here in Arizona. I love the climate, the scenery, the cactus, and I've made lots of friends and met nice people here. I love it and definately don't want to go back to the state I grew up in. No place is perfect and all things considered I still like Arizona better than the state I came from.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 5,384 times
I lived in Phoenix for my teen years and have lived in Southern Louisiana for more than fifteen years since. The difference between heat and heat plus humidity is quite profound. I am finding as I get older, I can tolerate the humidity less and less. I am actually hoping to have the opportunity job-wise to relocate to the Phoenix area in the next few years. Although it would be quite a change for my family, as we are currently living in a very rural area, I think it would be a good thing. Pheonix doesn't have bird-sized mosquitoes for one thing and hurricanes would not be something to be concerned about.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:56 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I agree with your downsides.
She was born in Tombstone of all places and raised on a small ranch between St. David and there.
She still does not like the heat.
Her Mother wants her to come visit and she told her not until Oct.
It is nice there then however.
I may revisit Tombstone next week too. I have long time friends who live in Sonoita that I want to visit too. And my granddaughter and family live in Marana. It's gonna be a busy few days!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 PM

339 posts, read 832,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I may revisit Tombstone next week too. I have long time friends who live in Sonoita that I want to visit too. And my granddaughter and family live in Marana. It's gonna be a busy few days!
Yeah I would like to visit old Tombstone.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:47 PM

277 posts, read 430,195 times
I love Sedona ... awesome place to live !

Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
So with that in mind, I'm wondering if anybody actually moved here for reasons other than a change in the weather/climate. In reading through the posts on this thread, it seems to be all about why our weather is so much nicer and why our dry heat is more tolerable than in other parts of the country. Did anybody choose Arizona for essential reasons, such as job opportunities, promotions, starting a business, being close to family, etc.?
Good question. Many who post here are retired or near retirement so weather trumps virtually anything else including those nonfamily essentials you mention which are generally lacking versus other states. The younger crowd would be well advised to look elsewhere when jobs, salary, and better schools are important to them.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 PM

932 posts, read 1,963,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Good question. Many who post here are retired or near retirement so weather trumps virtually anything else including those nonfamily essentials you mention which are generally lacking versus other states. The younger crowd would be well advised to look elsewhere when jobs, salary, and better schools are important to them.
Actually I'm only 17, will be going to ASU, and plan on staying here for much of life. Wouldn't wanna be any where else. I have many friends who will be doing the same.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
I'm near retirement or already there. I came here (actually got sent here by Army) when I was 22 years old. I decided to stay because it seemed to offer a lot of opportunity - more than upper midwest where I started out. I was right and I did very well with respect to job and salary here as did most of the people I went to school (UofA and ASU) with. The unparalleled growth provided one opportunity after another and a constant stream of new challenges in my field (engineering). Weather is what it is and has never been the thing that either drew me or chased me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona