Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:29 AM

799 posts, read 2,168,577 times

Advertisements

Will the Southwest become more humid, as more golf courses and other plants, trees are planted and irrigated?
I was in Tucson, and it was every bit as humid as the midwest. The humidity was blamed on the monsoon season, but you have to wonder.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:54 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
No, it's just due to the monsoon. I think we would have to have wall to wall golf courses to get a significant humidity. We are still a true blue desert.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:33 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Will the Southwest become more humid, as more golf courses and other plants, trees are planted and irrigated?
I was in Tucson, and it was every bit as humid as the midwest. The humidity was blamed on the monsoon season, but you have to wonder.............
NO WAY, Twixcookie

As I posted previously, you visited Tucson at the absolute worst weather time possible (July and August) . . . HOT AND HUMID with frequent afternoon and evening Thunder Storms. Interesting to note, many people love the Monsoons and look forward to them but NOT ME.

Try another month, in fact ANY other month, and you will experience very low, possibly single digit, relative humidity and dew point temperatures. In fact, there are times it is so dry that when it rains the water actually evaporates prior to reaching the groud.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
I don't think the southwest will become more humid.

There is a park in the neighborhood that I live in and a golf course less than a half a mile down the street, and as a result, summer time temperatures are usually about 5 degrees cooler than the official high at Sky Harbor. But there's a slight downside and that's the negligible increase in humidity, but it's not much to be a concern.

I also know that when I drive by golf courses, the air outside is cooler and that's not unusual because there's less materials that retain and radiate heat.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:32 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Quote:
I went to Tucson last weekend, I thought it was awesome!!! Getting clouds in for a change. Some nice rain. Having temperatures in the 90s, rather than the 110s. I thought it was so nice, I didn't want to drive back to Tempe. But yeah, don't kid yourself, that is 100% due to the monsoon season. Even here in the Phoenix area the last few days we've been back to the endless dry heat again.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:54 PM

430 posts, read 1,263,859 times
Talking Monsoons ROCK!!

Ah, come on Bummer, you don't LOVE the monsoons? The flooded streets, blocked drains, road closures, leaking roofs, running washes?

I know, not everyone is a monsoon lover! I however am the exact opposite. I love the monsoon season, the beauty of the clouds building over the mountains all day looking like huge emptied jars of marshmallow fluff! The breathtaking lightning strikes, the smell of the air after a good old fashioned down pour....all that beautiful, sweet smelling wet sage in the deserts, the Colorado River toads that are a big as dinner plates and the huge tarantula's that come out of hiding.....got to love the desert when it rains, it's my favorite time of year here!!

O.Nana

Old 08-24-2007, 11:08 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Ok, Ozark Nana . . . Monsoons aren't all bad . . . I GUESS!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,630 times
I have heard studies of large metroplitan areas create "greenspots" (creating thie own micro-climate) El Paso, TX would be a good case study with graph showing monthly average humidity levels over years. This year (2013), the desert just about died by heat before the rains finally came.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:00 PM

173 posts, read 404,188 times
Quote:
Hello, are you new here? This happens every single year at the same time each year...which is right now.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokuku View Post
Hello, are you new here? This happens every single year at the same time each year...which is right now.
If s/he was new then, s/he isn't any longer. The OP was written SIX years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: