Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:04 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
Umm... South Carolina is a "4-season state"..
Snow in Myrtle beach? I hadn't heard that. The avg low temps are 37.

Is a sub-tropical climate 4 season?

Myrtle Beach Weather Forecasts, SC Local Reports & South Carolina Climate Information - MBMC (http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/weather/ - broken link)
Ok it has 4 seasons but nice ones..):

Last edited by sheena; 09-14-2007 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 09:07 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I haven't lived in the "4 seasons" for many years, but I visit often for prolonged periods. The thing that gets me is the clouds. I am talking upper midwest here, but it is cloudy for days (months) on end. It is amazing how I have gotten to expect sunshine, even need it. I know I would have a very hard time in an area with a lot of overcast days.

Here's a test. For those of you who lived here a couple years back - winter of 04-05, I think. Remember how it rained/was cloudy so often in Jan through March? If you found yourself saying "Is the sun EVER going to come out again?" then you probably have become desertized and will struggle in a true 4 seasons environment.
I arrived in New Mexico from New Jersey in Jan 05. I remember that February was cloudy 20 out of 28 days, and I thought to myself "no big deal", I was still used to it then. Then I got the true environment: From October 05 to May 06, it didn't rain at all. Not even a trace amount. I think we set a record for longest period without any rain. My son was 2 years old at the time when we moved. As he became older and could talk better, he became (obviously) more aware of objects. Sometime in June of 06, I was driving and he was in the back seat. It began to rain, nothing big, just a drizzle. I put wipers on intermittent. About a minute later, my son says to me: "Daddy, what's the black thing on the car?" He's yelling at me, all excited. I turn back around, and see nothing. I reply: "What are you talking about?" and he sees it again, and he says "There! Turn back around!" That's when I saw the windshield wiper. He had never seen them used before. I explained to him that they were used to wash rain off the car. To which he replied: "What's rain?"

Old 09-14-2007, 09:13 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
Umm... South Carolina is a "4-season state"..
Truthfully, almost every place has 4 distinct seasons. Some are just more stark. North Dakota comes to mind almost immediately. Sometimes summer highs in ND exceed 110. That does not happen in Florida. There is about a 150 degree variance in temperature in many Great Plains states. Where I live in New Mexico, the highs in the summer are about 105 in June. In early January, the highs are generally in the 50s. So that's only about a 50-60 degree variance, however, it still means summer and winter are distinct.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:17 AM

235 posts, read 922,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscrilla View Post
Speaking of power outages, it happened numerous times when I lived in phx because of those stupid dust storms. Then I'd have to lay in bed on the verge of heat exhaustion because my blood was so hot it was probably boiling in my veins. Worst thing I can imagine is power out when it's hot. No wonder so many imigrants die. If it's cold, no biggie, put on another layer and you're good. You can only take off so much when it's hot, unless someone out there know how to peel of layers of skin.

Traffic on an icy road isn't nearly as bad as having hispanics truck tires blow out all the time on the freeway right next to you. I feared for my life everytime I took to the US-60 and 101.
I have lived here for 10 years and never lost power during a dust storm and never had a "hispanics'" truck tire blow out next to me on the freeway. Sorry about your bad luck.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Truthfully, almost every place has 4 distinct seasons. Some are just more stark. North Dakota comes to mind almost immediately. Sometimes summer highs in ND exceed 110. That does not happen in Florida. There is about a 150 degree variance in temperature in many Great Plains states. Where I live in New Mexico, the highs in the summer are about 105 in June. In early January, the highs are generally in the 50s. So that's only about a 50-60 degree variance, however, it still means summer and winter are distinct.

Got it! I was just concerned about snow. I can take anything else but not snow.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:24 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I agree with you. You keep reading this Phoenix does not have seasons stuff and that is bull. It was 16 in January of this year and 116 in July. If you can't see seasons here you spend too much time indoors and have lost the ability to observe nature, I think. Spring is very obvious with flowers and cactus and palo verde trees blazing. Summer is the hot and muggy stuff. Fall is very subtle here, maybe even non-existent. But you can tell by looking at the desert plants. They get greyer and the blooms turn to seed. The evening temps fall precipitously from the warm highs. The wind has changed direction. Winter is cold, the mesquites get bare and stark. And one other things that is seasonal here (and in New Mexico) is the light. The angles, contrasts, and shadow changes from season to season are dramatic and beautiful. Look closely and let your senses feel the changes in the desert. If you need a snowbank in front of your front door to know its winter then you are out of touch with Mother Nature.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:26 AM

283 posts, read 990,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Snow in Myrtle beach? I hadn't heard that. The avg low temps are 37.

Is a sub-tropical climate 4 season?

Myrtle Beach Weather Forecasts, SC Local Reports & South Carolina Climate Information - MBMC (http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/weather/ - broken link)
Ok it has 4 seasons but nice ones..):
Myrtle Beach is hardly "Sub-Tropical" You have 4 seasons, kiddo PS New England has 4 nice seasons too..

Old 09-14-2007, 10:24 AM

323 posts, read 993,114 times
Can anyone tell me about New England seasons? Been in AZ pratically my whole life but would like a change...love Maine.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:09 AM

283 posts, read 990,232 times
Winter is harsh, but once you embrace it and get used to it, no problemo.. Summer is the shizzle, people come from all over the world to summer there..

Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
In the desert areas of Arizona, the four seasons are, Cool (Late October through mid March), Warm (mid March through mid May), Hot (mid May through June, and September), and Monsoon Hot (Mid July through August)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona