Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times

Advertisements

It's part of our charm! Some people come from miles around just to see them. Take pics in them. We have a few famous dirty and dingy towns you know. Seligman AZ comes to mind. Route 66 started there. Don't knock em until you've tried em!
Attached Thumbnails
Dirty and Dingy small cities in Arizona : Which is the worst ?-images-5.jpeg  

Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
I am defending Superior,AZ. Yes, the homes are early 1900's and it's an old mining town. However, it's a "Poor Man's Sedona" from a landscape standpoint. Apache Leap and Picketpost Mountain are unique scenery and hikeable. Thompson Arboretum is there too. After taking a walk up Picketpost, a couple of really good and unique Mexican joints are right in town. The first one, Los Hermanos is right on the 60 heading east into town. Cafe Piedra Rojo is another hidden gem.

I am an old school country guy despite growing up an hour from NYC. Superior in particular is a nice contrast from The Valley and has kept its deep roots a mining town, much like those in PA, with a strong Southwestern Flare. I take trips there from Tempe a couple times a month. Reasonable home prices too for those willing to commute 45 into the valley.If my wife wasn't so uneasy with the country, I'd consider living there myself.

Globe and Miami are very similar to Superior, only larger and probably not commutable for anyone in the valley. One best workout and get a job in the mines if you want to live there.

Now Ash Fork. It's got no infrastructure and a couple of gas stations. It's for those who want to live off the grid and drop out of Mainstream Society. It looks pretty similar to Chino Valley and Prescott in that it has similar terrain and elevation. Only difference is you have to haul water due to the water table. If you don't mind driving an hour to Flagstaff or Prescott for specific goods, I guess it's an alright place to set up your solar panels.However, a pick up truck is a must to haul water. If you don't like guns, probably not a good place to live either.

Last edited by observer53; 05-07-2012 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: never mind! :)

Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
From your list I'd say Douglas worst and then Winslow second to worst. The rest of them are not that bad. If you think these towns are the dregs of Arizona, you need to get around the state a little more.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:58 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Well, some towns in Arizona are dirty & dingy because they have a lot of history behind them. The Route 66 towns are very historical, even a less attractive place like Winslow has some charm to it. The Eagles sang about "standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" in one of their hit songs back in the '70s, and the town has definitely capitalized on it ever since.

Globe and Superior are also historic, despite being somewhat run down in appearance. Superior especially comes across as a town that nobody wants to visit anymore, but even that has character compared to many of the sprawling, cookie cutter developments that Arizona has become known for lately. Both Globe and Superior are historic mining towns ... and Globe has what I consider a pretty charming downtown area that is fairly active for a small town.

One town that has some history behind it, but is definitely on the list of dirty, dingy, and ugly is McNary (located in the western fringe of the White Mountains). There was some industry there at one time, but ever since that moved out, the town became a real eyesore. The only thing McNary has going for it is the natural pine forest beauty, but the town itself is pretty much dilapidated.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:28 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Well, some towns in Arizona are dirty & dingy because they have a lot of history behind them. The Route 66 towns are very historical, even a less attractive place like Winslow has some charm to it. The Eagles sang about "standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" in one of their hit songs back in the '70s, and the town has definitely capitalized on it ever since.

Globe and Superior are also historic, despite being somewhat run down in appearance. Superior especially comes across as a town that nobody wants to visit anymore, but even that has character compared to many of the sprawling, cookie cutter developments that Arizona has become known for lately. Both Globe and Superior are historic mining towns ... and Globe has what I consider a pretty charming downtown area that is fairly active for a small town.

One town that has some history behind it, but is definitely on the list of dirty, dingy, and ugly is McNary (located in the western fringe of the White Mountains). There was some industry there at one time, but ever since that moved out, the town became a real eyesore. The only thing McNary has going for it is the natural pine forest beauty, but the town itself is pretty much dilapidated.
I recall going through there and there was one house that had a huge pile of garbage out behind it - like the owner had just tossed the stuff out the back door for the past year.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:09 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,074 times
I wasn't at all impressed with anything along I 8 when I recently went to San Diego. Gila Bend seemed like a dusty town which is used as a truck stop along with sleazy looking motels and fast food joints. Nothing more. Only positive down that way was a "Date Shake" in Dateland.

I could throw in CO City when I went up to Zion recently too. However, that spurred some negative energy here when I commented on that town recently.

Holbrook is a smaller version of Winslow so I have to rank Holbrook below Winslow. That whole I 40 area is a "Blowing Dust area". No real vegetation so when the winds are over 25 MPH, nothing but sand and dust in your face. I got a bunch of dust in my mouth just pumping gas in Holbrook back in January when I moved here. Can't imagine it's real enjoyable in those trailers on Sun Valley "Ranch". "Ranch" meaning wide open dust devils and sagebrush on worthless land. Winslow I could barely see the HS Football field just off the highway that day.

So in closing, I 40 from Winslow to Holbrook and basically Gila Bend to Yuma are the least impressive parts of the state to set up shop in through personal travels here. Not as bad as the AZ Strip but I really don't think The Strip should even be acknowledged as part of Arizona for obvious reasons.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:17 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
OP these dirty dingy towns you speak of, are they the ones you got stopped by the cops for speeding or maybe drunk driving. Some of the nicest people are in these towns.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's part of our charm! Some people come from miles around just to see them. Take pics in them. We have a few famous dirty and dingy towns you know. Seligman AZ comes to mind. Route 66 started there. Don't knock em until you've tried em!
Seligman really doesn't look that bad. I've driven through there and eaten there a few times.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:23 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Funny I was in Mayer, Dewey-Humboldt yesterday and they are dusty or "dirty" but don't look that bad cause most of Arizona IS dusty compared to Chicago which has ITS own problems like cold winters.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Seligman really doesn't look that bad. I've driven through there and eaten there a few times.
They've spruced it up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona