Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:30 PM

611 posts, read 2,307,505 times

Advertisements

If you don't mind the commute, I'd pick Prescott, Flagstaff, Wickenburg, or Sedona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,022 times
Post Obvious Choice(s): Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff-area, Williams

The most obvious choice is the Flagstaff area. It's right at the base of the San Francisco peaks. We have seasons (but few bugs). We have a regional airport. It's 30 minutes to Phoenix by air, 2-1/2 hours by car. It's wooded with tall pines (largest contiguous ponderosa forest in U.S.). The air is clean. The weather idyllic (rarely over 80 in summer or below 20 in winter)... with beautiful blue skies and pale-green landscapes. Not very dusty (not at ALL, compared to PHX). It is so nice here. And loads of unbelievable hiking, biking, backpacking, etc. opportunities. Only ninety minutes from the Grand Canyon, too.

But I warn you... the town is clearly liberal (you asked). If you're more middle-of-the-road (and you say you are) I THINK you may be most likely to find more friendly, outgoing, responsible neighbors like yourself in one of the nicer, semi-gated communities like Forest Highlands (more established) or Pine Canyon (brand new). That's JUST my impression. If anyone disagrees, fine. But we are hard-pressed to find like-thinkers except from those areas (we are from Continental).

Except for the apparent entitlement craze and town politics (not picking on anyone, but which are pushing taxes and property prices Jupiter-high), you will not be disappointed.

But Sedona is spectacular, Prescott is quaint, and Williams is laid back.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:16 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,063 times
Look at the Papago park area. Adjacent neighborhoods include PHX, Tempe and Scottsdale. A super short hop to the airport, it's our version of Central Park.

It's got a little bit of everything. You can hike, jog, mountain bike and climb. Or you can picnic, go to the zoo, golf or explore the Botanical Gardens.

There's a bike/walking trail right down the middle which connects all three cities. If training for the Iron Man, for example, you could run or bike from Old Town Scottsdale to Tempe Town Lake along this route.

That's my suggestion should you want to live closer to work. If you want to be more remote, I'm not sure where to start, though the Payson area seems a straight shot to PHX.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 17,204 times
Default Thanks for the feedback

Thank you very much, everyone, for the help and the advice. A few people asked for more info on my commute - I'd be heading into Phoenix or Vegas (depending on where Southwest bases me) about twice a week at max. Typical week for a pilot is - drive to airport( say phoenix) on tues, fly around for 3 days, return to your base on thurs and drive home, have a few days off and repeat. As you can see I won't be driving into PHX or Vegas more than once or twice a week so a long commute doesn't really bother me. I currently drive about 2 hours from the Philly area to the Baltimore for work and, as anyone from the East Coast knows, a 2 hour commute (on I-95) can turn into a 6 hour nightmare.

I was in Phoenix over the summer for some military work and the temps were insane, plus I wasn't all that thrilled with the sprawl. I think I'm definitely looking for that smaller city/large town feel with good access to outdoor activities a must. Oh - even though I don't have kids I am interested in communities that have good schools, I'm a volunteer football coach and a substitute teacher here in PA.

Once again, thanks so much for the input. I'm planning a trip out to AZ in the Dec-Feb timeframe and will certainly be visiting some (if not all) the communities you guys have mentioned. Keep the info coming - thanks!

Old 10-13-2007, 02:23 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,635 times
I think you might really like Prescott or Flagstaff, then. Prescott has one of the best school systems in the state, and Flagstaff is home to NAU. Prescott temps are milder than Flagstaff. While we will get an occasional snow in the winter, we're not nearly as cold and windy. Flagstaff can get pretty buried by snow, but if you don't mind that it's a nice town. Seldom gets into the 90's in the summer. Here in Prescott we'll see upper 80's/low 90's most summer days. We have about 2 weeks the end of June/first of July that we can see a couple days of 100. Then it cools back to the 80's once the monsoon season hits about mid July thru mid September.

Prescott is about 35,000 population. If you include our tri-city area (Prescott, Chino Valley, and Prescott Valley) then we're about 85,000. Located at the edge of Prescott National Forest so lots of outdoor activities pretty much year around.

The commute to Phx would be about 1-1/2 hrs. To Vegas it would be quite a bit farther - I'm not sure but I think it's about 2-1/2 hrs to Vegas from here. We've got a regional airport here that's got Mesa air. Would it be an option for you to fly to Vegas vs drive?

Old 10-13-2007, 03:51 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
.... The commute to Phx would be about 1-1/2 hrs. To Vegas it would be quite a bit farther - I'm not sure but I think it's about 2-1/2 hrs to Vegas from here. We've got a regional airport here that's got Mesa air. Would it be an option for you to fly to Vegas vs drive?
The drive from Prescott to McCarran in Vegas is more like 4.5 hrs, assuming there are no problems at Hoover Dam, on 93/95, or on 215 in Henderson. The commute from the Prescott/CV area would be *minutes* if he hops on one of Mesa's flights to PHX or Vegas from Love Field, and parking would be a breeze.

Another plus for Prescott = Embrey Riddle. A negative for the entire LV Valley = "100 & stupid degree" summer temps just like PHX, unless you live up on Mt Chuck (Mt Charleston).

Old 10-13-2007, 06:47 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
The drive from Prescott to McCarran in Vegas is more like 4.5 hrs, assuming there are no problems at Hoover Dam, on 93/95, or on 215 in Henderson. The commute from the Prescott/CV area would be *minutes* if he hops on one of Mesa's flights to PHX or Vegas from Love Field, and parking would be a breeze.

Another plus for Prescott = Embrey Riddle. A negative for the entire LV Valley = "100 & stupid degree" summer temps just like PHX, unless you live up on Mt Chuck (Mt Charleston).
I didn't realize it was that far to Vegas from Prescott. I'm not really sure where the OP could get what he's looking for in AZ and be within commuting distance to Vegas. Flagstaff or Williams would cut the drive time by maybe an hour. The only other area I can think of that's close to Vegas is Kingman. It's quite a bit warmer there than Flagstaff or Prescott, but not nearly as HOT as Lake Havasu. I don't know, Kingman has never particularly appealed to me, but I am sure others have a different opinion.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:21 PM

77 posts, read 415,016 times
IYou would not like Kingman. There are no seasons, I don't think anywhere in AZ, its hot and its cold. 22 for months with a bitter wind. what is it like in Boston or Philly?? the air here is good, compared to those cities. I think I may post like you did and someone can help me out....where shoud I live??? Good idea..
I didn't know that your airlines let you choose where you can live.
I thought a person is transferred to a location. I would like to see Boston.....

Old 10-14-2007, 12:51 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
I didn't realize it was that far to Vegas from Prescott. I'm not really sure where the OP could get what he's looking for in AZ and be within commuting distance to Vegas. Flagstaff or Williams would cut the drive time by maybe an hour. The only other area I can think of that's close to Vegas is Kingman. It's quite a bit warmer there than Flagstaff or Prescott, but not nearly as HOT as Lake Havasu. I don't know, Kingman has never particularly appealed to me, but I am sure others have a different opinion.
Wow, I don't know about that poster, but it takes me 4 hours from N. Phoenix. I think your comment about times was spot on.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:05 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,867 times
My vote hands down would be Prescott!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona