Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 AM

896 posts, read 1,476,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueleo65 View Post
I've only lived in Arizona for 2.5 years. I have been trying to get a grip on the politics of this state, from the election of Sherif Joe to the election of Jan Brewer on and on and on. First it seems like, you can be Jeffery Dhamer, but if you have an (r) after your name, you will get elected. I am amazed that such a big state with such a sizable population, and a huge Hispanic population, is so red. I mean the map even looks funny, wedged in between 2 blue states. Does Arizonans think that they are somehow part of the Old South with red DNA? It seems like every other person I meet is from LA. Being such a large state with the 5th largest city in the nation, you'd think things would be a little more balanced.

When an entire nation is moving in one direction, a state such as Arizona should be more progressive, and not snap to the opposite. Phoenix will never be a world class city if this line of thinking doesn't change. And don't tell me that's not what Phoenix is aiming to be, because that's a load of bull. This isn't Dallas or Atlanta even.

Will Arizona ever change? Or will it remain eternally a provincial state with a provincial line of thinking. I really like Arizona. It's a beautiful state. If I seem critical it's because I would like to see it progress and move forward.

Just a few post election thoughts and reflections.

Mike
Doesn't sound like you have any actual questions for us. Just a series of bxtches, whines, and gripes. Thanks tho!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:05 PM

73 posts, read 147,345 times
Honestone1,
I wasn't aware that this is a question and answer forum. I am merely bringing up a subject I thought about after the election analysis, and wanted to see what people thought. Can't we have a challenging discussion without being offended? Or are we only suppose to discuss the status quo? After all how many times can you answer where is the best schools in Phoenix?

Several of you expressed opinions that Arizona is red, just like MA or IL are blue. I fully understand that. I wasn't proposing that Arizona will magically become a far left state. What I am saying is, there should be more balance. Even MA voted for Scott Brown in the last election, and several blue states have a sizable red or majority red government on the state level.

I would like to thank the people that contributed to the discussion.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:49 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
I feel there is something wrong with this thread, maybe. And that is all.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,338 times
I thought the Arizona exit polling was very interesting. Lots of statistics. I don't think it will be long before Arizona is a true swing state (eight years, probably). One thing's for sure, I'm not looking forward to being inundated with negative campaign ads!

I couldn't find one from a conservative website, but my guess is that the results are similar/same:
Arizona Presidential Election Results - Presidential Race | NBC News

Old 11-08-2012, 03:26 PM

353 posts, read 656,178 times
I think Arizona is a purple state when it comes to the beliefs of the people. However when it comes down to who actually votes it's still a red state. Arizona had 50 percent turnout. Apathy leads to electing leaders who are out of touch with their citizens. You have to give credit to the republicans because they do vote. Cons like to talk about the Chicago machine when it comes to Obama and democrats getting elected but I think you can say there is an Arizona machine when it comes to getting Republicans elected. They purged themselves of moderates and so called RINO's in 06 and 08 and with the help of the tea party has made this state less moderate than it was 6-8 years ago. The OP suggested that Arizona is somehow linked to the Old South. That is not true. Arizona has always been a western state. Instead of looking for a link to the bible belt south, look vertically. Idaho, Utah and Arizona make up that funny looking peninsula on the red state map. Three letters, LDS. You can call it the Mormon belt. Although Arizona is not as conservative as Utah or Idaho, politics are defininitely influenced by the LDS in Arizona. It shows in how out of touch they are on social issues with the rest of the populace. I saw a poll that Arizona is like 65 percent pro choice yet the socons are pushing anti-abortion bills when the citizens aren't asking for them and would like to focus on the economy and education. I think eventually between Latinos and younger people who are fed up with Sherriff Joe, Jan Brewer, and the rest of the loons, Arizona will shed it's image as some outpost for whackos.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:32 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Several of you expressed opinions that Arizona is red, just like MA or IL are blue. I fully understand that. I wasn't proposing that Arizona will magically become a far left state. What I am saying is, there should be more balance. Even MA voted for Scott Brown in the last election, and several blue states have a sizable red or majority red government on the state level.
Scott Brown was elected under special circumstances and was just given the boot. It was a fluke if anything. I don't think it can be used as an example of balance in MA.

Besides, AZ elects Democrats too. Janet Napolitano was elected governor twice.

In the current climate, with Democrats seeking to raise taxes and restrict Second Amendment rights, it's going to be hard for Democrats in some offices. In certain districts they'll remain fine.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM

285 posts, read 785,062 times
Quote:
Honestone1,
I wasn't aware that this is a question and answer forum. I am merely bringing up a subject I thought about after the election analysis, and wanted to see what people thought. Can't we have a challenging discussion without being offended? Or are we only suppose to discuss the status quo? After all how many times can you answer where is the best schools in Phoenix?

If you wish to not offend those that are on the other side of the political spectum as you, I would first of all avoid bringing up Jeffery Dhamer. Let's see, Arizona is extreme right from your far left perspective? Makes sense to me.

I must say I was also surprised at the results. It seemed to me the 10 or so years prior to Obama's presidency the state was slowly and consistently turning blue. My conclusion/opinion is that it seems the Obama administration (DOJ) has pretty much waged a war against Arizona since they came to office. Me thinks there are consequences to treating people badly. No?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 PM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times
Maybe the OP should have started this thread in the Politics forum.

That being said, the types of Republicans and Democrats in Arizona are not the same as those in the Northeast, not the same as those in the South. If anything, I think the media blows a lot of stuff out of proportion. Non-politicians tend to be more tolerant in AZ than we're given credit for.

I believe a lot of the recent "intolerance" label is due to SB 1070. You saw all those out-of-state protesters and people all over the place threatening to boycott Arizona. They ended up recalling Russell Pearce (the author of that bill). One of the things I hated from all of that SB 1070 stuff was Raul Grijalva down in Tucson telling people to boycott AZ, especially during a bad economy. Despite that, he's still in Congress today. So I guess if you want a more "progressive" part of the state, it's Tucson and Pima County.

I'm surprised that the election involving Sheriff Joe wasn't as close as I thought it would be. Whatever good he has done in the past, I think in recent years he's been more of a publicity hound. But his ads were on TV and radio WAY more than Paul Perzone. If he doesn't get voted out, he will probably die in office.

Overall, it seems most of the incumbents of both parties, or at least people with the most name recognition or cash, seemed to do well on Election Day.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,338 times
Raul Grijalva is like an ironwood tree, well-rooted into the caliche. He's not going anywhere any time soon.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Honestone1,

Blueleo,

I think stephen431's post (#10) was far and away the most responsive to your question. I think it really sums up my opinion as well as to why AZ is a red state. It's not so much about AZ's geography as it is about the demographics. Another possible factor I will throw out there is that many people have moved to AZ from liberal bastions such as California and Illinois, and undoubtedly many were attracted to AZ because they were not happy with the blue politics and policies of their former domiciles, so of course they'll vote red. I don't have empirical data to back that up, just lots and lots of posts I've read here on city data. Either way, I do not think AZ will become a swing state anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona