Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 11:33 AM

108 posts, read 393,036 times

Advertisements

I could possibly have the option of a job with the Arizona Department of Corrections as a CO II. Though I have never worked the swing shift or the graveyard shift as a CO II what I have listed below about the swing shift and graveyard shift is what I have been told by another CO II. I have been told that I would probably either be on the Swing Shift or Graveyard shift.

I would be working on a 4 yard with very dangerous inmates. I believe that 5 is the highest inmate classification level in Arizona.

Swing Shift 2pm - 10 pm

or

Graveyard Shift 10 pm - 6am

The swing shift is very hectic and very dangerous as I have been told. There is lots of radio traffic and other things to deal with. Inmates are always around you and they can kill you or injure you at any time if they so choose. Odds of getting killed are pretty slim but the odds at being assualted by an inmate are pretty high. The hours are pretty good from 2 pm to 10 pm. Lots of inmate movement and the swing shift is very busy and hectic.

The Graveyard shift basically has no inmate movement as I have been told. The only inmate movement is occasional inmate rollups to move . Also getting a few inmates to medical at night and getting a few inmates to the kitchen to work. Inmates lock down for the night at about 8:30 pm so the inmates are locked down when you arrive on shift. The graveyard shift is very very quiet and very boring. The hours are 10 pm to 6 am.

There is no pay differential for the night shift so the pay for swing and graves is the same.

About myself I am single with no children. I guess you could say I am older and looking to chill. The Swing Shift hours would actually have been perfect hours for me about 10 years ago when I liked to go out and party. Getting off every night a little after 10 pm would have been great because I could go out and party any night that I wanted to and I would not have to be up real early in the morning. The thing is I no longer have any desire to party anymore.

I have never worked a grave yard shift before so the real fear of the graveyard shift is the fear of the unknown. I would need to learn to somehow sleep during the day and that in itself serves as a great fear especially when you have never had to sleep during the day for a job.

Last edited by Demps; 11-30-2012 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
I was one of the first CSO II in the state back in 1986. As a drinker Swing was the best because you could make the bar before the band finished their first set and still get a good nights sleep. Swing also allowed time daily to take care of business during business hours. You could sleep in if you were up late or pulled overtime, and get up early to take care of daylight chores if that was your need. If in Lockup you feed dinner, do showers, shakedowns, and medical.

Graveyard was more of a watch the boys sleep and counts. If in Lockup you feed breakfast. Lots of tower time.

As CSO II on Graveyard you may find a great path to Sergeant, and don't be surprised if you find yourself taking on Sgt. responsibilities.

What unit?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:54 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
[quote=Demps;27153036] I could possibly have the option of a job with the Arizona Department of Corrections as a CO II. [/QUOTE]

I do question how you can get a CSOII position without a year on the job? That is unless you have been offered CSOII and are currently a corrections officer who has passed the test with the required time in grade.

Last edited by observer53; 12-02-2012 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: trying to fix broken quote tag

Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,786 times
I know several women that are nurses and their schedule is 7 PM-7 AM at a hospital. They take ambien in order to fall asleep...they never do get enough sleep and on their days off they live as though they have a normal routine. I think it is harder than people think but very doable. Being single and "older" perhaps the graveyard would be better initially. Instead of having to deal too much with awake inmates you could take on tasks to assume more responsibility which would position your for advancement if interested. That would be a preference call of yours in the end though since pay is the same....I would take the 2PM-10PM shift because I like a normal routine...not that there is anything normal going on in the penitentiary

Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
I will NEVER work graveyard.....makes me feel like a walking zombie 24 hours a day.

//www.city-data.com/forum/scien...-possible.html

Old 05-08-2015, 09:29 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,692,561 times
Work on a psych unit swing shifts are always chaotic. I mean morning's can be busy, can be different for corrections. It's just morning's the big wigs are there the professionals so things are just constantly moving more activity. However, swing shift shift slows down. Change of shift. Being cooped up starts taking over. Something may or may not of slipped by. Just chaotic. Graveyard not sure how it is in corrections. In bed biggest concerns are hurting them selves or someone else. You have to be observant during safety checks while trying to fight your bodies clock to sleep. Not bad at night I say, but stuff can happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona