Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:52 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I go to Arizona for seasonal work and were offered a pretty good gig in show low. I have been to show low a couple of times but never seriously looked for property. We are looking for inexpensive ranch land within an hour of show low. I prefer heavy juniper trees and to stay a tad bit lower than the pines (more in my price range as well). Anyways a few properties have caught our eye 20 miles north of herber in chevelon canyon ranch. I have seen some around concho as well. This would only be lived on part time and I would like to be able to put up a nice barn without to much hassle. We realize the land is a pretty good drive into show low but it would only be twice a week commute and only part of the year. I realize land is cheap there is usually a good reason so I was wondering what the catch is with these lands. Obviously, I would prefer a well but I have been in a water haul situation and didn't mind it to much. Are they just cheap because they are far away from any employment? If you can steer me towards better but still affordable land within an hour's drive of show low I would also appreciate it. Looking for something with owner financing preferably with 10k down or less. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 PM

No one knows anything about land within an hour of show low?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:08 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,239 times
Chevlon canyon is more than an hour from Show Low. But eveything else you are saying is right. The land is cheaper in the type of areas you are looking. Some of the reasons they're so cheap is some properties won't 'perk' and for all of them if you drill a well, it's about 5-600 feet down to water.

Your best bet is to drive on out to the area and look for yourself. Last I was looking, I drove east from Show Low on US 60 and turned left on SR61 and stopped and started wondering around the north side of the highway looking for for sale signs. There used to be quite a few owner financed. There's also Show Low Pines which is north of US 60 just to the west of SR61, but that area is all water haul.

happy hunting

Old 06-28-2013, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. So the cheaper ones are probably the far out water haul areas. If the land doesn't perc are apache or Navajo counties alternative septic system (compost) friendly? I'll let you know how other goes. Maybe we are better off renting for the three months a year.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,239 times
Well, Show Low pines (a water haul area) is not as far out as some of the other areas I mentioned. It's kind of a checkerboard thing. And then some of those other areas I mentioned are serviced by the Cedar Grove Water company (used to be run by a guy named Mark), so you wouldn't even have to drill a well, but you would have a monthly water bill.

As far as any septic system, I would not know and defer you to the respective county department in charge.

If it were me for three months out of the year, I would look into a remote lot in Show Low Pines, dig an outhouse and (though I personally would have a hard time with this) haul water. I personally like my water out the spigot.

Years ago, I was looking to 'take over' a place somewhere off Ponderosa Drive out there. It was a home built 'house' with a water tower supplying the indoor plumbing, propane lanterns for lighting and a wood stove for heat. I just couldn't at the time wrap myself around being able to haul enought water to then use the generator (or something) to pump it up to the water tower.

You really need to go out there and look. You never know what you'll find. Seriously.

happy hunting

p.s. on the other hand there's places in town starting around $48k.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:02 PM

50 posts, read 110,987 times
That Chevron canyon ranch is like rock.the dirt roads going in run through some flat areas where the dirt is like talcum powder and turns into like oat meal 4x4 with lift wide tires your still getting stuck?
Well look into the cost guessing as much as the land.haul water can be used for drinking only not for gardens? No commercial uses allowed and no shooting and of course no hunting? Think people buy these places 0 or little down small payments never use then after a few years stop paying or get behind in taxes or hoa dues lose them and the same company and salesman sells the to the next group of dreamers .Some make a go of it but most don't

Old 11-24-2013, 12:01 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,516,502 times
I've been looking at Chevelon Canyon Ranch too, but it's confusing. I have a bunch of printouts of lots for sale to go look at, but I can't figure out if the entire area is totally off-grid or what. Some listings say it's perfect for the off-grid person, but others make it seem like it's not completely off-grid but they're not specific in the details. I'm looking for some prairie type land where electricity is available. Water haul is ok if there's a company that will deliver it for a reasonable fee (not close to $300 a month like I found in the southeastern Colorado town I where I wanted to buy land which is the only reason I didn't buy there). I do want indoor plumbing, and it has to be driveable without a truck, as I only have a small car. Don't know if I'll find anything like that though. I'm looking in Show Low, Concho, and other areas around there.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:33 AM
RPO

1 posts, read 8,827 times
CCR is really nice but remote. There is no electricity but there are community wells. I have taken a regular car there a few times but a truck or 4x4 is a better bet.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:33 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,516,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO View Post
CCR is really nice but remote. There is no electricity but there are community wells. I have taken a regular car there a few times but a truck or 4x4 is a better bet.
Thanks. Guess I can rule that one out since there's no electricity. I don't know anything about solar power. Can you operate central a/c and heat, apppliances, a well pump, computers and lights 24/7 all on solar?

Old 01-11-2014, 09:10 PM

105 posts, read 446,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudpuppy View Post
I've been looking at Chevelon Canyon Ranch too, but it's confusing. I have a bunch of printouts of lots for sale to go look at, but I can't figure out if the entire area is totally off-grid or what. Some listings say it's perfect for the off-grid person, but others make it seem like it's not completely off-grid but they're not specific in the details. I'm looking for some prairie type land where electricity is available. Water haul is ok if there's a company that will deliver it for a reasonable fee (not close to $300 a month like I found in the southeastern Colorado town I where I wanted to buy land which is the only reason I didn't buy there). I do want indoor plumbing, and it has to be driveable without a truck, as I only have a small car. Don't know if I'll find anything like that though. I'm looking in Show Low, Concho, and other areas around there.
Chevlon canyon ranch is dusty and remote. We had land out there, it was manageable in our mini van, but the roads can and will wash out during stormy season. If you get a lot of rain the roads will be come a muddy mess and you will have a tough time getting though it. You really need a truck for all season access. You will be completely off grid, theres no utilities there, although theres a community well. You will be further than 1 hour from Showlow and it wont be a pleasant commute in winter. I would look in Vernon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona