Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 20,037 times

Advertisements

I have been reading topics posted about Yuma on here because my husband might be taking a job out there. We currently live in Michigan and because of my chronic health problems we want to move to a dryer climate. We were looking more for the Phoenix area but this particular job is in Yuma. I've been really discouraged because it seems that I'm only reading negative things about Yuma. I'm ok with heat, my husband not so much. Can anybody tell me an honest opinion on Yuma? The bad AND the good? It would be a great help. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,169 times
Well........it is only a couple of hours from San Diego and a short drive to Rocky Point, Mexico. Seriously if you're coming from the Detroit area, Lansing, or even Grand Rapids or Flint Yuma will be quite a change and possibly a let down. You seriously need to visit Yuma first see if you can picture yourself living there. It's a small city in the middle of the desert with all of your basic needs but if you're used to big city amenities you are moving to thee wrong place. Yuma is also a popular snowbird destination half the year. The population doubles (or more than doubles) from Nov-April, May. I'm not knocking Yuma it's just simply not for everybody. Research Yuma and check out pictures of the city on Google images just so you can get a feel of the place.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
"I'm ok with heat, my husband not so much"....you better expand on this.... exactly what do you mean ?

What would you expect your new hometown to be in order satisfy your needs/desires for work and recreation ? In other words, what are you looking for in order to be happy in a new location....then we can better answer your concerns.

About all that can be said so far, is that Yuma is dryer, and warmer than Michigan.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Well........it is only a couple of hours from San Diego and a short drive to Rocky Point, Mexico. Seriously if you're coming from the Detroit area, Lansing, or even Grand Rapids or Flint Yuma will be quite a change and possibly a let down. You seriously need to visit Yuma first see if you can picture yourself living there. It's a small city in the middle of the desert with all of your basic needs but if you're used to big city amenities you are moving to thee wrong place. Yuma is also a popular snowbird destination half the year. The population doubles (or more than doubles) from Nov-April, May. I'm not knocking Yuma it's just simply not for everybody. Research Yuma and check out pictures of the city on Google images just so you can get a feel of the place.

Thanks for the insight. We will be going out there this weekend for a long weekend to see what its like but I wish we had more time available to spend out there to really get a feel for it. I live in between Flint and Detroit but the economy here is so bad especially since the auto industry started to struggle that even though it is a big city there still isn't much to actually do around here so I'm hoping it wont be such a shock to me to move to a smaller place. The biggest thing I'm worried about is the humidity. That is what flares up my chronic pain. I know I've read its humid out there in the summer but here yesterday alone was at 86% humidity. Do you happen to know the humidity levels in the summer out there?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM

456 posts, read 1,499,896 times
I don't know what the average humidity is, but it is nothing like the wetter climates. Yuma is very dry right up until the start of the monsoon, which usually starts in early July and runs through September. The monsoon is when Az gets its rain, but unfortunately Yuma gets the humidity but very little rain. The humidity does keep the high temperature down though. You can tell when it is drying out because the high temps will increase again.
Since you are coming this weekend you will get to experience the 'Yuma in the summer" experience. November to May makes up for it though.

Curly

Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I'm ok with heat, my husband not so much"....you better expand on this.... exactly what do you mean ?

What would you expect your new hometown to be in order satisfy your needs/desires for work and recreation ? In other words, what are you looking for in order to be happy in a new location....then we can better answer your concerns.

About all that can be said so far, is that Yuma is dryer, and warmer than Michigan.

Regards
Gemstone1
My husband is a big boy so he gets hot much easier than I do. He already knows it will be a MAJOR adjustment for him during the summer months. We are pretty easy going. I have severe chronic pain so we don't do a whole lot. We do ride his motorcycle when the weather permits, we currently don't have a boat any longer but we used to go out on the boat in the summer. We like movies, bowling when my pain permits it. Simple things. Despite living near large cities there is really not much to do here either because most of the year it is freezing cold and the economy doesn't offer much in the area of decent entertainment. My main hope for the move is to help with my pain so I can get back to work and living a normal life. I hope this helps expand on my previous post.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:20 AM

I forgot to mention that I do volunteer at an animal shelter here close to home so I'm hoping Yuma has one there. Please tell me they do. We will also be looking to rent a home with a pool for sure. We have a nice in ground pool here but we only get to use it 3 months out of the year

Old 07-23-2013, 02:45 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
Sounds like Yuma may work for you...enjoy your visit. Get directions out to Imperial Dam, maybe 20-30 minutes north, nice place to visit, then go out a little further past the turnoff to the dam, to see the boat access to the river and a nice swimming lake.

Yes there is an animal shelter....always looking for volunteers.

Motorcycling in the summer can be brutal on man and machine, but it's very comfortable the rest of the year...usually by 10 AM, a long sleeved shirt is adequate. It rarely frosts and even in January, when it may be 34 degrees at 5AM, by 10, it's approaching 70. This year will be my first long term visit in the summer, we arrive in early August for the remainder of the of the year, so I'll get my taste of Yuma humidity, but it can't be as bad as I was exposed to in the Mid West...in the fall/winter/spring, it is almost always below 20%.

Boating is the thing to do in the summer....many miles of the Colorado River to explore.

Yuma Zone

Boating the Lower Colorado River

There is one bowling alley....never see many cars in front tho'....and 2 multi-screen theaters.

One Sams Club, 3 WalMarts, 2 Fry's (Kroger brand), 2 Albertsons, 2 Food City, 2 Del Sol groceries, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Toys R Us, Barnes & Noble, Dillards, JCP and a myriad of others.

Chamber of Commerce

Yuma Visitors Bureau

More concerns ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM

Thank you so much for your response. This has helped ease my nerves a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona