Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,926,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Latest on the water shortage:

Unprecedented Cut in Colorado River Flow Ordered, Due to Drought

Regards
Gemstone1
I read about the Vegas water problem and went; oh no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:34 PM

25 posts, read 38,081 times
Arizona's water shortage is only exacerbated by Californians literally stealing our water.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,826,066 times
Default Not looking so good

I work in Water in California, don't shoot me over that. I don't know what parts of Arizona have good supplies so can't answer the OP's question. But the link Gemstone (second link) put up is real...

Feds Slash Colorado River Release to Historic Lows

Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 PM

537 posts, read 740,998 times
It should be a standard feature for all homes in Arizona to have water catchment systems with large cisterns. It's a crying shame to see all the beautiful water just running off roofs during the monsoon season and winter snow melts here in northern Arizona. Sort of like putting up an out-building, making a garden, or having a wood-burning stove. Essential.

I wish we had done that from Day 1 as I am getting mighty sick of hauling 500 gallons of water on a trailer over terrible, wash-boarded roads every week. Those of you who can just turn the tap . . . count your blessings (for now).

We will be installing a 10,000 gallon catchment system soon. That's about a 4-5 month supply for our family. I can't wait.

Oh, and here in Aridzona we need to ditch cotton farming and golf courses. Same goes for lawns.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:09 AM

21 posts, read 20,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
It should be a standard feature for all homes in Arizona to have water catchment systems with large cisterns. It's a crying shame to see all the beautiful water just running off roofs during the monsoon season and winter snow melts here in northern Arizona. Sort of like putting up an out-building, making a garden, or having a wood-burning stove. Essential.

I wish we had done that from Day 1 as I am getting mighty sick of hauling 500 gallons of water on a trailer over terrible, wash-boarded roads every week. Those of you who can just turn the tap . . . count your blessings (for now).

We will be installing a 10,000 gallon catchment system soon. That's about a 4-5 month supply for our family. I can't wait.

Oh, and here in Aridzona we need to ditch cotton farming and golf courses. Same goes for lawns.
Are you still having a problem with water? I wonder why more people don't complain about the Saudi Arabia farms that are sucking the water dry for their alfalfa farms and then shipping it out of the country.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:21 PM

4,611 posts, read 6,390,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvananan View Post
Are you still having a problem with water? I wonder why more people don't complain about the Saudi Arabia farms that are sucking the water dry for their alfalfa farms and then shipping it out of the country.
Somebody was asleep at the wheel when that deal was done....there are 8-9 cuttings of alfalfa per year in the Colorado River Valley...and alfalfa takes a huge amount of water. We are in effect, shipping the dwindling supply of Colorado River water to Saudi Arabia.

This article is 20 years old...

"Alfalfa consumes more water than any other crop below Imperial Dam (Yuma). Farmers apply as much as seven vertical feet of water to alfalfa crops, to promote growth under the hot desert sun. Although it comprises less than twenty percent of the region?s irrigated acreage, alfalfa uses over forty percent of the water used by the region?s crops. Per acre, alfalfa consumes sixty percent more water than wheat, the region?s largest crop, forty percent more water than cotton, the third largest crop by acreage, and seventy-five percent more water than lettuce, the fourth largest crop. The region?s alfalfa crop uses more water than all these crops combined.

Although alfalfa consumes an enormous quantity of water, its value per acre is relatively low. According to Imperial County, the Imperial Valley?s alfalfa crop value was $687 per acre in 1999. This stands in stark comparison to lettuces which generated $3,895 to $5,021 per acre. Even cotton, another low value crop generated higher values at $959 per acre in the same year." link.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-08-2021, 10:19 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,926,855 times
https://ktar.com/story/3781468/srp-r...na-conditions/

Old 01-19-2021, 05:02 PM

636 posts, read 329,314 times
What about places that are not on CAP? Like Nogales and Rio Rico?

Old 01-19-2021, 07:13 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,973,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmanoftheboard View Post
What about places that are not on CAP? Like Nogales and Rio Rico?
ADWR does extensive reporting. That area is part of the Groundwater Management Act and I believe it’s recently working toward sustainable and doing fine.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:50 PM

410 posts, read 401,644 times
I was reading this old thread from ten years ago. Seems the story on water was the exact same as it is now

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...r-arizona.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona