Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

A friend is thinking of this (five years to go). She is a tenured professor who is very non-social, loves the desert and open spaces and is not going to have much money at all. She wants a sunny place- currently has a small property up at 8,000 feet in Utah for summers and is going to sell it (if there's a buyer- it really is remote). I emphasize her lack of money, but her concurrent lack of interest in high living of any kind. She wants to read, hike, photograph petroglyphs, and have a couple of dogs and be outside almost all the time in the sun. She does not care to consider any medical needs, or problems with driving or other older age issues. Oh, and a liquor store with cigarettes for sale is considered a perk.

If you're familiar with Bisbee, what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 05:36 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,895 times
I really dont know what the property values are in Bisbee....but it sounds like it might be a nice place for her, Bisbee is a truly beautiful town (IMHO) and very unique...also pretty liberal, (which might or might not be a plus for her)

Oh...and if she is a smoker she might want to consider good medical facilities a plus...Sierra Vista is only 20-30 minutes away.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
For what I've seen of Bisbee; I agree with the OP. It's "different" but nice in a weird way.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:21 AM

106 posts, read 246,771 times
Ib frob Bithbee Awizona, ad I say, cub lib wit us! (Sorry, I love making fun of Bisbee, purely because of it's name.)

From what people tell me, Bisbee is a very cool small town in far southern Arizona, an hour past Tucson even. The weather is much nicer there since it's 5,000 ft elevation and it's the only place in Arizona that offers a somewhat substitute to gay marriage, indicating how politically left the town is.

Just out of curiosity, might her small property in Utah be part of a place called Brian Head?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:32 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Bisbbe sounds like a good place for your 'friend'. It has an artsy hippie type aura. Many artists and antique dealers. There are things to do by oneself if she wants. She might like the mine tour, or a short drive to touristy Tombstone, or a must see the Kartchner Caverns about an hour away. Then there's the Mexican border not too far if she wants to venture over there. Lots of places to hike and enjoy one's solitude.
If one wants to lose themselves in the US then Bisbee is one good spot to do so.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:04 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Bisbee is a cool, hip town. And that cool factor has probably increased the property values above her means.

She might look at Ajo. For those that know AZ, I'm sure they are thinking I'm nuts for suggesting that. Ironically, I have a friend who has a sister with similar desires and circumstances who moved to Ajo and loves it. From what they told me, she's not the only one who's made that move in recent years.

There are other small towns in the Southern AZ area that would have lower costs for real estate as well. And perhaps some of the trailer parks in remote areas. Sad to say it, she should consider the crime rates.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 AM

861 posts, read 2,191,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Bisbee is a cool, hip town. And that cool factor has probably increased the property values above her means.

She might look at Ajo. For those that know AZ, I'm sure they are thinking I'm nuts for suggesting that. Ironically, I have a friend who has a sister with similar desires and circumstances who moved to Ajo and loves it. From what they told me, she's not the only one who's made that move in recent years.

There are other small towns in the Southern AZ area that would have lower costs for real estate as well. And perhaps some of the trailer parks in remote areas. Sad to say it, she should consider the crime rates.
I have never been to Ajo, but it sounds like a sorta neat place...the proximity to the border and the illegal problem might be something to take into consideration.

A couple of other ideas...in my part of the state...

Duncan

Clifton..

Check them out.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks for all the responses. There appear to be some cheaper homes, including trailers, around and in Bisbee. Her current property is not in Brian's Head, it is outside Torrey and much too cold for her tastes, plus the trailer is, by her terms, "a hovel" and needs to be replaced/removed and that all costs. I think it might be hard to sell or, if sold, not much money involved.
What is the issue of the crime rate in surrounding smaller areas near Bisbee? Illegal stuff? My friend is adamantly anti-gun, which I find kind of odd, but as an older lady wandering around the desert, she could change her mind. I sure would.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Thanks for all the responses. There appear to be some cheaper homes, including trailers, around and in Bisbee. Her current property is not in Brian's Head, it is outside Torrey and much too cold for her tastes, plus the trailer is, by her terms, "a hovel" and needs to be replaced/removed and that all costs. I think it might be hard to sell or, if sold, not much money involved.
What is the issue of the crime rate in surrounding smaller areas near Bisbee? Illegal stuff? My friend is adamantly anti-gun, which I find kind of odd, but as an older lady wandering around the desert, she could change her mind. I sure would.
AZ is a gun totin' state. She'll probably run into quite a few in that area.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:46 AM

I know. I hope she'll ease up on the "anti-" feeling, it's pointless. Then again, she's not likely to find Bisbee "too liberal" as some have suggested. I think it's a fine place for her, given her hopes and limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona