Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,166,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
But what I did was 100% legal as well, and yet you're "challenging" me. I guess the lesson of this story is that everyone can look and act like an a** in public, as it is LEGAL. God bless this state!
Well, the purpose of an internet forum is to discuss topics, which is what we're doing. If I'm out shopping at the Harley dealership, I'm there to look at bikes, not have a discussion with a stranger about my appearance, lifestyle, or legal right to open carry.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:02 AM

833 posts, read 1,200,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Well I figured since only the good guys wear their guns openly as everyone says, I'd be safe. And therefore I could engage this upstanding person in some constructive criticism w/o worry of getting shot. Anyway it was no big deal. He's probably used to it anyway.

------------------

It's no big deal I guess, I'm sure if I saw enough guns I'd get used to it.

BTW the leave for CA remarks, well i like California. I recently took a roadtrip to LA. But even a home in the inland empire near San Bernardino is expensive. So I'll be staying put. Of course if you REALLY want me gone, I could set up a CA housing fund that I can accept donations through paypal.
The law is the law. Should've considered New York or something [personal]

Constructive criticism, as he's going about his day, doing nothing wrong..... You libs crack me up. ...... With your thinking, i'd be stopping every prius that drives by to educate them....

Last edited by observer53; 12-16-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 11:14 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,276,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i feel that gun display is intimidation. so is open weapon carry so is aggressive dress and behavior and language.
stop it.
theatening behavior is not freedom of speech.
your rights stop where mine begin.
signed a loyal NRA supporter.
Take a testosterone supplement. My delineated right to bear arms(that shall not be infringed, by the way) does not end simply because you think it is aggressive or you feel intimidated by the sight of a weapon. You have no delineated right within the Constitution to feel intimidated by legal and protected behavior. And being a "loyal NRA supporter" gives you no right to infringe the rights of another, any more than the supremacy clause gives the feds a right to infringe the second amendment.

Signed a gun toting patriot who chooses not to carry openly, but thinks we should be able to.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:33 AM

849 posts, read 2,924,613 times
[personal] I feel safer in an area that allows open carry rather than an area that does not. Unfortunately, most people are afraid of things they have no knowledge of. If you aren't around guns, never fired a gun, don't know how a semi-auto firearm operates, no wonder you are not comfortable around them or people who openly carry them.
It's funny how the OP then talks about "banning" the open carry in that particular city and wants to know the steps for how to do it. I have an easier solution than that-move somewhere else. If you don't like it, head to one of the states where firearm control is a top priority of state lawmakers-California, New York, DC, Illinois.
If someone were to comment about my carrying openly in a public place and ask me if it's necessary, I'd have to laugh right in their face for asking such an ignorant question. You're darn right it's necessary. If you have never been the victim of a crime, then go right ahead and judge those that choose NOT to be victimized. But the moment you become a victim, I bet you'll be wishing you had the means to defend yourself...or wish that someone who is was nearby.
Granted, I'd rather carry concealed than openly. Mainly because I don't like to draw attention to myself or the fact I am armed.

Last edited by observer53; 12-16-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 11:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
I don't see, "Is that really necessary" as rude per se, it depends on how it's said, and with what facial expression. It's not necessarily "challenging". The response was appropriate, and that's where the conversation ended.

Hypothetically, while I might ask the question a little differently, if I saw several people in a neighborhood establishment open carrying, and I were new to the area, I might wonder if there was something about the area that made open carrying common, i.e., high crime, etc.

I don't see getting all hung up on this brief conversation.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:03 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
As stated upthread, enough with telling the OP to just leave if he doesn't like the open carry law.

Any of us could find something about AZ that we don't like, and say so. But that doesn't mean that we would or should move just because of that one thing, if we're otherwise happy here, or that it's not rude for people to keep telling us to move on that basis.

Rule of thumb: discuss the topic, not the poster.
I disagree...if you dislike something enough to confront people about it when you see it around you and then come on an internet forum complaining and inquiring how to change the place into something that the overwhelming majority of people in that place don't want then I think advising someone to move back to where they came is perfectly acceptable.

That is like me saying..."I moved here five months ago and hate all the cactus around town so I've started confronting everyone that has them in their yard and want to know what I can do to make it illegal to grow cactus in urban areas of Arizona?", "Cactus gives me an uneasy feeling (I could get poked) and I think we should ban them and vote the governor out of office for allowing this outside of rural areas". You and others are just being more accepting of the idiocy of the OP's question because it's about guns which has become acceptable to complain about in our society.

This is not someone simply complaining about the heat.

Last edited by LBTRS; 12-16-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 02:55 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,881,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i feel that gun display is intimidation. so is open weapon carry so is aggressive dress and behavior and language.
stop it.
theatening behavior is not freedom of speech.
your rights stop where mine begin.
signed a loyal NRA supporter.
Hi Huckleberry - I respectfully disagree with your "Gun display is intimidation" analogy. I don't carry my weapon with me 24/7, and when I do, I'm not out trying to intimidate anybody, that's aggressive behavior and you certainly wouldn't catch me carrying one of my guns and showing such behavior.

I, and I'm sure other gun owners, have other reasons for open-carry, besides keeping potential criminals away. If I'm out shopping, and my vehicle is in the parking lot, there are vandals everywhere who will break into vehicles to steal anything, and if my gun happens to be in the vehicle, guess what, there is a good chance it'll end up falling into the wrong hands. Yes, I have alarm systems on both vehicles, and they need battery power to work, and there's always a chance for the battery to go bad.

Most of Phoenix is relatively safe, compared to areas in other bigger cities, like New York City or Chicago, and the chances of being the victim a crime are a lot less, but there's still that chance.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:04 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,103,252 times
Just my own opinion. I feel more comfortable seeing an honest, law-abiding citizen openly carrying firearms, than having a homicidal maniac carry one illegally concealed.

Don't worry about the guy openly carrying, it's the guy hiding in the bushes with a concealed weapon you need to worry about.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:11 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,700,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Just my own opinion. I feel more comfortable seeing an honest, law-abiding citizen openly carrying firearms, than having a homicidal maniac carry one illegally concealed.

Don't worry about the guy openly carrying, it's the guy hiding in the bushes with a concealed weapon you need to worry about.

agreed - if they're carrying open, you can be pretty certain they arent bad guys. I dont open carry myself, but I *dont* want to see open carry banned - for one reason - states like Texas allow concealed carry, but not open carry - so if someone catches a glimpse of your concealed gun, you become a criminal.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:12 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,519,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
For the OP to confront that individual and ask if "that is necessary" does not even warrant an answer...yet I got the the impression that the OP expected one...

Arizona and its' honorable citizens are one of the few remaining States that have not fallen victim to the mass hysteria, and in my humble opinion, still respect each individuals' rights....."speech", as well as to "keep and bear arms".

It never ceases to amaze me when people willingly relocate, then immediately try to "bring home with them"...suggesting change, to suit their individual needs, pacify preconceived notions, or calm irrational paranoia.....and if all else fails....."just like back home....ban it ".
OP is just curious and asking the guy a question, nbd really.

Relocating somewhere doesn't mean you shouldn't stay true to your beliefs, there are also plenty of Arizona natives that also feel uncomfortable with open and carry to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona