Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:39 AM

594 posts, read 698,839 times

Advertisements

You see all the time...people coming on CD saying they are contemplating a move to Arizona from this place or that, and the first thing we want to do is more or less apologize for living here. Example: Someone will post on CD about moving to Arizona, and someone living here will say " you might want to visit in the summertime etc..." Does it not occur to you that maybe this person WANTS the heat and sunshine...

I think us people living in Arizona need to realize that we live in a VERY desirable state.

Why can't Arizona weather be more desirable than _____ Why cant Arizona scenery be more desirable than____ Why can't Arizona be at the top of the desirability index for relocation dreams?

Why not US ?

We need to stop apologizing for our summers, we need to stop apologizing for our heat, we need to stop apologizing for so called lack of things to do.....PEOPLE, what we are not seeing, everyone else IS. Evident by our growth.

The ugly duckling has grown up to be a BEAUTIFUL ARIZONA SWAN.

And we in Arizona need to stick our chest out, pluck our feathers and understand that ARIZONA IS NOW THE ....FACE OF THE WEST.

Why not US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 03:38 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,667 times
This happens in every section, my hometown included. Some people just like to moan and belittle.

There are glass half empty folks, and glass half full folks. Don't pay the negative people too much attention.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:58 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
I think you folks need to relax. No one is attacking your spouse or children. They are providing information based on their experience. Some people hate it and some people love it. I think it is important to point out potential issues. The Phoenix sun is not like other states. Despite the positives, not everyone is physically equipped to handle the heat. I loved my time in Phoenix and Las Vegas, however, I went during the Fall and Winter months. The intensity of Arizona's sun is much greater than Las Vegas. I can not imagine what it is like during summer. People die of heat strokes.

I think people should stop apologizing for sharing the negatives of their experience in Phoenix. It is helpful for people who are considering Phoenix as a place to stay to read the positives and well as the negatives.

I keep hearing about this "live and let live" mentality but some of the posts I have read paint a different picture. I get the impression the mentality is "everything will be okay if you think like me". If someone says something negative many of you go on the defensive. If someone is unable to find employment and has to go back home, too bad for you. That is not cool.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:00 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
You see all the time...people coming on CD saying they are contemplating a move to Arizona from this place or that, and the first thing we want to do is more or less apologize for living here. Example: Someone will post on CD about moving to Arizona, and someone living here will say " you might want to visit in the summertime etc..." Does it not occur to you that maybe this person WANTS the heat and sunshine...

I think us people living in Arizona need to realize that we live in a VERY desirable state.

Why can't Arizona weather be more desirable than _____ Why cant Arizona scenery be more desirable than____ Why can't Arizona be at the top of the desirability index for relocation dreams?

Why not US ?

We need to stop apologizing for our summers, we need to stop apologizing for our heat, we need to stop apologizing for so called lack of things to do.....PEOPLE, what we are not seeing, everyone else IS. Evident by our growth.

And we in Arizona need to stick our chest out, pluck our feathers and understand that ARIZONA IS NOW THE ....FACE OF THE WEST.

Why not US?
Interesting. I've never thought people were apologizing for anything about AZ. They state the facts as they see them, positive and/or negative, but no apologies.

AZ weather, scenery, etc. CAN be more desirable, to 'some' people. I haven't noticed anyone saying it isn't or shouldn't be. Why would anyone apologize for our summers? We don't make them the way they are and they are just what they are. Hotter than sin part of the time and not everyone can deal with it. They tell us so, right here. lol Most of us manage to adapt. Luckily for me I was born here so have known what to expect my whole life. Newcomers will always have to acclimate. I've done it in other parts of the country.

AZ is growing just fine. Growth will happen anyway, with or without our input.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:01 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,903,825 times
sexxxcblac, ref your first para. People post on CD asking for experience or opinions of a specific state or community. Be it Arizona or Washington, those experiences and opinions will vary and the one asking the question has the option to decide if it fits their desires. The purpose of City-Data is for posters to help answer the questions and I think we are doing a great job of that.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Yeah .... I don't see a lot of apologetic information.

AZ is a bit polarizing, but that's not common on message boards

I think it's reasonable to suggest that someone really understand what summer means out here - not many people are looking for days on end of 100+ heat and many days over 110

When I lived in MN there were a lot of people from cold weather climates that didn't mind winter that had no idea what they were getting into

Heat is a major concern people have so you try to provide that information - it's not apologizing for it being hot or assuming that everyone will hate it ........... however, it is one of the most common complaints and you can't ignore that

Old 01-24-2014, 03:06 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
I think it is comical that a thread about Arizona is moved to the U.S forum. It just proves my point. I am surprised it was not deleted. My way or the highway.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:16 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,016 times
I think regardless of how cool (or hot) Arizona is when people are going to pull up roots and move across country it is wise for them to take a look of at where they are going to move to first before just packing up everything and going. I love Arizona but I also know of people who have moved here and have been miserable because it either wasn't quite what they expected or they missed their families back home tremendously. The "find a job first, visit first" advise I'd give to any person wanting to move anywhere...

Old 01-24-2014, 05:45 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post

Why not US ?

Why not US?
Well Lived in Chandler for7 long years and it does take some coping with the summer. Speaking from experience, one has to engage and leave your past your past. I have too many ties to Florida for me to accept Arizona as home.

I move home Dec 2013

But if we would purchased a home and our professions lives went a different direction and sold our home in Florida . I could of stayed and deal with the so called short comings of AZ.

Arizona represents a independence that other states do not have. Gun laws are right and we do not have a crime problem, because the bad guys are not sure which home is armed. Arizonians are known to go against the grain. That's a good thing.

Sedona, Flag, Prescott are very relaxing and one can do some sole searching. Like the Vortex in Sedona. Parking your OFF Road vehicle on top of Scebellys road( or Muelers Wagon Trail 6000ft) Catch experience a ghost Town like Goldfield in Apache Junction.

Arizona is not exciting, but is steady. It you can not deal with move, like did. Butttttt, I would revisit AZ if the right opportunity would present its self. For the record San Diego is a great escape for a long weekend in the middle of summer in AZ!

Mostly people are nice and polite. VS the bad road manners of So Florida!

There is many positives for Arizona, one just have to look a little harder for it! Yes I pleased I experienced Arizona. Even with my whining!

Last edited by GHOSTRIDER AZ; 01-24-2014 at 06:09 PM..

Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 PM

223 posts, read 434,579 times
I've lived here over 20 years. Outside of BHC (and yes, that's how we abbreviate it).

I don't want to live anywhere else. I love it here.

But it's like anywhere - visit first before you decide to move here. Winters are awesome, but it's hot in the summer. Visit then, during the extreme temps, and then make your decision.

If I won the lottery and had the wherewithal to move anywhere, I'd still stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona