Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:15 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times

Advertisements

I don't know how to word this without coming off as offensive, so I apologize. The past few weeks I've noticed a large amount of people with cardboard signs hanging out in some of the more populated areas in Kingman. On a Tuesday I went into a Circle K to get something to drink, one young heavyset man was crouched infront of the ice machine asking for change... seems a bit well dressed for someone down on their luck, and right around the corner a woman with a red face and stringy hair asked for the same thing.

Same thing at the Safeway, people sitting... young, outside the store asking for money. Now Walmart, the most populated place around the clock, last Saturday there was at least one by each exit (minus automotive), another roaming the parking lot asking random people, another at the corner just behind Del Taco, and one standing on the corner outside of Brake Masters where you turn away from Walmart to make a left.

There was also one lady sitting on the median when you pull in to the "Taco Bell/Petsmart" plaza... with a dog. And not too far from there by AM/PM two males were sitting on the curb with a sign.

While I understand we're in a recession and many people are falling on hard times, it's just surreal seeing this many people begging for money. Some of them didn't look like they're poor, maybe drugs are making a comeback or people in the Y generation are too cool to work (I've personally know a few who admitted this). It's sad to see this, I thought we had homeless shelters here. I'm aware Kingman isn't a very good place as far as employment opportunity is concerned, most entry level jobs are in fast food and retail, carwashing and cooks, because the town doesn't want to invite proper growth.

Just a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 08:21 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
I don't know how to word this without coming off as offensive, so I apologize. The past few weeks I've noticed a large amount of people with cardboard signs hanging out in some of the more populated areas in Kingman. On a Tuesday I went into a Circle K to get something to drink, one young heavyset man was crouched infront of the ice machine asking for change... seems a bit well dressed for someone down on their luck, and right around the corner a woman with a red face and stringy hair asked for the same thing.

Same thing at the Safeway, people sitting... young, outside the store asking for money. Now Walmart, the most populated place around the clock, last Saturday there was at least one by each exit (minus automotive), another roaming the parking lot asking random people, another at the corner just behind Del Taco, and one standing on the corner outside of Brake Masters where you turn away from Walmart to make a left.

There was also one lady sitting on the median when you pull in to the "Taco Bell/Petsmart" plaza... with a dog. And not too far from there by AM/PM two males were sitting on the curb with a sign.

While I understand we're in a recession and many people are falling on hard times, it's just surreal seeing this many people begging for money. Some of them didn't look like they're poor, maybe drugs are making a comeback or people in the Y generation are too cool to work (I've personally know a few who admitted this). It's sad to see this, I thought we had homeless shelters here. I'm aware Kingman isn't a very good place as far as employment opportunity is concerned, most entry level jobs are in fast food and retail, carwashing and cooks, because the town doesn't want to invite proper growth.

Just a shame.
It's getting worse IMHO and I'm down the road from you in Bullhead City. I'm just glad to have a job.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
No matter where you see someone panhandling, do not give them money. Donate to your local homeless shelter, they can stretch a dollar better than most charities. If someone really needs help, give them a map to the closest shelter where they can get the care that they need.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:15 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,895 times
Look around for a "Hippy" bus...we have some that come through Safford occasionally and the panhandling goes up...then they head somewhere else until next time. Some are very colorful people to say the least.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:57 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
It's notoriously bad in the Phoenix area. I thank God I have a job but damn can I go to the gas station just one time without being hustled out of 50 cents Lord have mercy!

Old 04-29-2014, 04:10 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,237 times
You can buy them drugs or Just Say No.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:11 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
Look around for a "Hippy" bus...we have some that come through Safford occasionally and the panhandling goes up...then they head somewhere else until next time. Some are very colorful people to say the least.
We're talking like an actual "bus" bus? I didn't realize it could be a group traveling from town to town. I've yet to see a bus decorated in 70's symbolism yet haha.

Quote:
It's notoriously bad in the Phoenix area. I thank God I have a job but damn can I go to the gas station just one time without being hustled out of 50 cents Lord have mercy!
I lived in PX years ago, I remember a guy chasing my sister half a block begging before I stepped in. She said no twice and he still wouldn't take it. They used to hang all over the Mills area especially at night.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:05 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
I've gotten a "we ran out of gas and my wife (blah, blah, blah)....." script a few times at the truck stops near I-40 on Andy Devine....it's often not true what they claim and is a common racket.....

as heartless as it seems, you have to say no.....

or maybe it's a test by an ABC "What Would You Do?" crew to see how many locals help out in Kingman, AZ!!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
As the weather get's warmer the transients start to move out to cooler and higher climate areas.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:46 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
I've gotten a "we ran out of gas and my wife (blah, blah, blah)....." script a few times at the truck stops near I-40 on Andy Devine....it's often not true what they claim and is a common racket.....

as heartless as it seems, you have to say no.....

or maybe it's a test by an ABC "What Would You Do?" crew to see how many locals help out in Kingman, AZ!!
Yea the "Ran out of gas" story seems to be a favorite script. If you have a car then don't you have a job to maintain the car (gas,insurance, etc)? Or do you depend on the others to fill up your tank every time it reaches empty? That's how you know they're full of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona