Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,479,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaAZ View Post
I look at it this way - I prefer Tucson for what's right there - used to be that from my front door, up Sabino Canyon, past the CCC road and onto the trails and into the pine forest on FOOT was not that big a deal (well, it was tiring, and I was less fat, but you get my drift). Examples of that sort abound in Tucson, depending on what you're after and what part of town you're in. Those sort of "right outside your front door" experiences are clearly less common in Phoenix.
Actually I think there's quite a bit of that type of access in the Phoenix metro area. All the areas around South Mountain, Ahwatukee, Arrowhead area in Glendale, Waddell/parts of Surprise to the White Tanks, Cave Creek area, Anthem, etc and where we are in Estrella Mountain Ranch in Goodyear where I can just ride my bike a minute or 2 away to trails around the washes and foothills. Plus Estrella Mountain State Park is not a far bike ride away either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:09 AM

10,758 posts, read 23,861,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Actually I think there's quite a bit of that type of access in the Phoenix metro area. All the areas around South Mountain, Ahwatukee, Arrowhead area in Glendale, Waddell/parts of Surprise to the White Tanks, Cave Creek area, Anthem, etc and where we are in Estrella Mountain Ranch in Goodyear where I can just ride my bike a minute or 2 away to trails around the washes and foothills. Plus Estrella Mountain State Park is not a far bike ride away either.
The Valley has an abundance of recreational opportunities. But from an outside perspective I'd much rather going hiking on the trails around Tucson and I could understand why somebody from a perspective of what's accessible within 15-30 minutes would prefer Tucson. The mountains immediately surrounding Tucson are a bit more scenic and superlative, not to mention National parkland abutting both sides of town. Tucson wil give you more of a postcard shot with the saguaro covered hills and mountain peaks rising above them.

When I make roadtrips to AZ, I prefer Tucson for ambiance, walking around, scenery, and character. I stop in Phoenix for shopping and dining but that's about the extent of it. That said if I had to pick the Valley of the Sun or Tucson as a place to live, I'd pick the Valley and one of the reasons I would is easier access to Northern, AZ. When its 100+ degrees out Mt. Lemmon wouldn't cut it for me, I'd want to head out to the rim, lakes, or Flagstaff.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:18 AM

628 posts, read 1,438,844 times
Tucson is a much better city in my opinion. People are friendlier and less passive than in Phoenix - lot less angry and not as much road rage, architecture is more historic sw adobe/pueblo-style, the city is much more bike-friendly, more laid back. Fourth Avenue is much better than old town/mill avenue/roosevelt row - a wider range of businesses - not simply a district dedicated to rich students or children of rich parents to go out and party. UA campus is also more visually appealing than ASU. I realize Tucson has less economic development, but the money rarely leaves the capital and largest cities in any state in the US.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:59 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,858,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
Why limit to Tuscon vs Phoenix? You also have Northern Arizona too. Biggest show stopper up here is jobs, but if you can swing one or bring one with you Northern AZ has lots of options. Prescott is a nice medium sized town with most of the amenities of larger areas shopping wise (well, enough to get you by anyway without you thinking you are living in the sticks). Flagstaff is slightly prettier and younger, and then you have all the other beautiful forested towns scattered from Williams West of Flagstaff to the White Mountain towns like Payson. For some Northern AZ might be a better fit than either Tuscon or Phoenix.

Milder climate in Prescott,too!

Old 09-27-2014, 10:20 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,545,845 times
I think Tucson is better for air quality, in fact I would say considerably better. Tucson has much better access to mountains and the trails, seem much better than Metro Phoenix. Tucson is of course much less crowded than Phoenix, which many appreciate. Tucson is cooler than Phx. Though very hot is very hot and its very hot it Tucson. Tucson is definitely more humid than Phoenix. If one cycle's then Tucson would win vs Phx.

I'm going to add the following because I think it is very important.

Getting from Point A to B. I think Tucson is a disgrace on this issue. I have not seen anything to compare with such inefficiency on this issue anyone in the USA. At least in a comparable size Metro. It is something to consider for those use to Fwy's and adequate road systems. They are not here, and obviously this inadequacy is allowed to continue into future years. I am sure it is part of the reason businesses do not locate here, and again I think many want it just that way. To keep Tucson from growing. I like the city, but I don't like at all the impact of getting from A to B is having on my life here. I don't know how I will remedy it either. I think Phoenix would have to be one's choice, if getting around efficiently is high on the criteria list.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:58 AM

When I saw Phoenix and Tucson back in'63-'64 when my AF dad got transferred to Tucson from TX,I did not like the looks of Phoenix at all,but fell in love with Tucson as soon as I saw it,and it always remained [with the Cotswolds of England] as my favorite of all the places we lived.Cheyenne,WY is 3rd.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:59 PM

570 posts, read 1,003,304 times
One thing the city of Tucson does well, compared to the city of Phoenix, is lighting the major streets. I feel like Phoenix could have better street lighting in some areas.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
One thing the city of Tucson does well, compared to the city of Phoenix, is lighting the major streets. I feel like Phoenix could have better street lighting in some areas.
Good to know!

Old 10-11-2014, 08:55 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,314,805 times
This thread is completely asinine. They are completely different cities. I love both of them in their own way. You can't compare the two. Phoenix is a world class city that is far larger and has more resources that Tucson can't compete with.

Tucson is a smaller city so it has less pollution. It has nicer weather. It has more of it's own identity. The people there are more genuine and real. They tend to be locals who grew up there. They all love the U of A there and it's a big part of their identity. I mean you just don't see ASU anything there whether it be there games or t-shirts/hats etc in their stores.

Overall, I prefer Phoenix and could not see myself living in Tucson. But I understand why people like it. I think threads like this do nothing but harm. You just bring out a lot of negativity and the worst in people who seek to criticize the two cities instead of admiring what each has to offer.

I truly hope they create a fast rail between Phoenix and Tucson because I think it would be fun to visit Tucson on the weekends in which you can just sit in a train and be there in an hour.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-11-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 10-11-2014, 09:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,314,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
This is simply not true. It's the opposite. Tucson does a really poor job lighting it's streets especially on certain parts of Speedway when you go north. There are areas in Tucson where i you can't see very well at all. In Phoenix, the streets are very well lit. You can see the nice green road signs that are well lit on the street names way before you arrive to the intersection. In Tucson, you have lights hanging on wires that look like they are about to fall with a tiny sign that you can barely make out at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona