Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:11 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,798,643 times

Advertisements

Hi gang,

I am looking to do a short vacation in SE Arizona in early November. We will head east from Flag, do some fishing around Hawley Lake,, stay the night, then head south towards the Mt Graham, check out the Chiricahuas, Bisbee, Tombstone, etc., and work our way west towards Tucson, etc. to see the Sonoran Desert, then heading back up 17 to Flag.

Any recommendations for where to stay or car camp? I think we have about 5-6 days and a jeep. I am expecting to rent a room in the White Mts. as nights will be freezing by then. Hopefully camping elsewhere. How about around Portal? We love hiking, checking out canyons, fishing, and just enjoying cool scenery and wildlife.

What kind of weather should we expect? Critters? Places to see or avoid?

Help us plan our trip!

Fiddlehead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 11:37 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,809,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
...What kind of weather should we expect? ...
Keep in mind that you will be moving up and down in altitude. Basically, Flagstaff is high, the further south you go the lower the altitude (basically). Flagstaff is at 7,000' and Tucson is around 2,600' (you lose 3.5 degrees Fahrenheit for each 1,000' of altitude gained ~ adiabatic lapse rate). This will make a big difference in the variations of temperature you will have to dress for. Simply stated, expect quite cool evenings/nights and pleasant days. Dress in layers.

Have a great trip!

Rich

Cape Cod MA and Green Valley AZ

Last edited by RichCapeCod; 09-20-2014 at 11:48 AM..

Old 09-20-2014, 12:33 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,445,513 times
Early November is nice in SE AZ.
Stay a night in Tombstone, walk around at dawn, the air is very clean, total silence, great to take pictures. And stay at the Lariat motel, probably the cleanest motel in the US. It is fairly small, one block from Fremont street, where all the action is.

The owner is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:43 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,100,807 times
that will be a great trip....

highway 191 between Alpine and Clifton/Morenci is very scenic, but also very slow and curvy....some curves are down to 15 mph or so...just budget a lot of time and patience for that 60-80 mile stretch.....take a look at the open-pit viewing area near Morenci

Mt Graham is the highest point in southern Arizona and worth a drive up, but, again, allow several hours and check ahead of time if the road is closed yet up high for winter or snow....

Portal and the surrounding area is great...drive up Cave Creek, do some hiking, look at the big walls and spires....just a couple simple businesses in the area, so get supplies ahead of time.....if into birding, this is a world-famous spot for that

if into history, check out Ft. Bowie in this area....also, Cochise Stronghold over on the east side of the Dragoon Mts has a great trail (Cochise Trail) with excellent views of the famous rocks (and possible area of Cochise's burial spot)....

Tombstone is exceedingly touristy, but worth a stop....stand out on Fremont at 3rd St to be where the gunfight really took place (not at the OK Corral)....Bird Cage Saloon is pretty authentic....

good (and easy) hiking along the San Pedro River, now a protected BLM preserve....if into military history, check out the museum on the grounds of Ft. Huachuca next to Sierra Vista....very nice historic parade grounds there, too....

Kartchner Caverns, the Desert Museum at Tucson, San Xavier Mission, the list goes on....

I've skipped many things!

Old 09-20-2014, 11:42 PM

861 posts, read 2,197,094 times
If you go up Mt Graham after the 15th of Nov the road is closed at the end of the pavement. But you can still get to Shannon campground which is about 21 miles up. And about 9000 ft in elevation.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:55 AM

44,700 posts, read 61,874,800 times
OP here is a temperature chart that may help you with the weather in November at various cities throughout the State.
Arizona Temperatures in November - Current Results

Old 09-21-2014, 06:12 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,116,988 times
Sounds like a great trip, one similar to one I have taken. After Hawley, as hinted at, the road you should take goes through Alpine, Morenci, and Clifton on you way to Safford and Mt Graham. Just south of Clifton along US 191 you should take the Black Hills Backcountry Byway. You'll be able to stretch your Jeeps' 'legs' artound there and there's a couple of BLM campgrounds, as well as just camping anywhere. I've done it.

In the Chiricahuas, there's some awesome scenery and plenty of places to just camp as well. I've done it. I vaguely remember Portal, not much there.

In Tombstone, yes the Lariat is a nice mid-range motel. Been there as well.

In all honesty, once you are down below about 5000' you can camp just about anywhere, if by "car camping" you mean not in a designated campground. Just west of Tombstone off whatever highway is Fremont st in town is Middle March road. You can find little places there, but not only that, there's a passel of ghost towns to see up there towards Gleeson and Pierce. Been there too.

happy trails amigo

Old 09-21-2014, 08:01 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,798,643 times
Great tips so far. Thanks so much.

I have read about the White Mtns. for over 30 years (Aldo Leopold's old haunts). I can't wait to see them, and to chase the Apache trout with my son.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:44 PM

861 posts, read 2,197,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Great tips so far. Thanks so much.

I have read about the White Mtns. for over 30 years (Aldo Leopold's old haunts). I can't wait to see them, and to chase the Apache trout with my son.
If you want trout check out Frye Mesa lake at the foot of Mt Graham. Only place in the USA you can catch 5 varieties of trout. Apache, Gila, Brown, Rainbow, and Brook.

Plus the scenery up the canyon there is nothing less then spectacular. The Frye Mesa Potholes have some great waterfalls.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:50 AM

4,624 posts, read 6,442,343 times
IMO, Apple Annies in Willcox is worth a visit....before closing for the season Oct 31

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona