Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 17,912 times

Advertisements

My family is thinking of moving to Nogales AZ, we currently live in eastern US but have family that lives north of Tucson near Marana. We have looked around Manrana, Tucon and Casa Grande but not really thrilled about the "dirt and sky" landscape.

I stumbled across housing in Nogales (I always avoided doing a search there due to it being so close to the border) but I was amazed at how green it looked (least from the pictures anyway). Its MUCH more my climate. I checked on city data, its only had 2 murders (that didn't sound right but if thats true sounds pretty safe). Housing seems pretty cheap down there.

We're retired so work is not an issue, just looking to be closer to family, enjoy a warm climate and maybe see a little green once in awhile (coming from the east, Phoenix/Tucson area is a bit of a shell shock to us lol). We don't care about "nite life" places to go people to see type stuff, we're older and live a quiet life so dont' care that there isn't much to do there (long as they got Dairy Queen and McDonalds...we're good lol)

I've read its a dirty town but from the pictures I saw online it didn't look too bad at all. I've seen people post asking if its even safe to drive through the town, but again...according to city data crime rate isn't too bad at all. We're white, and I noticed 90% of the town is Mexican (of course, its a border town after all) but not sure if we'd be accepted into the community ok there. My brother says anything south of Tucson everything is in Spanish, even McDonalds. I think that is a bit of an exaggeration (tho if thats true would be a problem as we don't speak/read a lick of Spanish lol)

Anyway just trying to get a feel of the area thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 03:39 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,519 times
Hi. I’m writing a book about our southern border and have spent many hours in Nogales (mostly the AZ side but some on the Sonora Mexico side as well). Nogales is NOT a dangerous place. It is inhabited mostly by people of Mexican heritage, but there is an “Anglo” population as well. Spanish is the language used most commonly in town. I’d estimate that over 90% of the population of Nogales is fluent in Spanish and most are fluent in English as well.

The people I’ve met there have been warm and friendly. Forgive me if I paint with a broad brush, but anyway, the Mexican culture is very family oriented. It is common for families to live very near one another. I’ve found most of the folks I’ve interacted with to be fairly conservative, socially.

The area is quite green. Remarkably so I’ve found. There are some nice housing areas outside of Nogales. I was taken around town by a lovely women whose family goes back a hundred years in Nogales. She had me drive around some very nice housing areas. You haven’t indicated your preferences so I can’t help you there.

Being up against the Mexican border is not an issue, crime wise, in Nogales. I interviewed Sheriff Tony Estrada a few months ago and he stated to me that the “bad guys” don’t want any trouble in Nogales as their goal is to get further north with their goods (people and drugs). Crime in Nogales would be bad for business.

For the record, I’ve got 41 years as a cop. If I thought there was any safety issues in Nogales I’d let you know in a “New York minute!”

If you have any specific questions, please let me know what they are.

Rich

On Route 19 south, entering Nogales.

Heading toward the border into Mexico.

The entry into Mexico.

Here's one of the parking lots near the border permitting you to walk to Mexico.

I don't recall the name of this building in Nogales. I believe it holds a museum dedicated to the ranchers of the area.

Last edited by RichCapeCod; 11-06-2014 at 03:53 PM..

Old 11-07-2014, 02:34 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Nogales is greener than most of Southern AZ, the Sonora side is my favorite border town. If you wanted to be in the area, but a few miles north, look at Patagonia....neat little town, and green too.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-07-2014, 02:42 PM

107 posts, read 133,477 times
Next to the border =/= dangerous. The border as a whole is dangerous but it's still a city-by-city basis (even on the Mexican side. For example crime in Mexicali is well below that of many cities in the US, though it of course has its problems).

I have not yet been to Nogales but I probably will at some point. I know many people who travel to Nogales, Mexico to visit relatives with no problem. Of course use 'common sense' and general precautions when going anywhere, but Nogales, Arizona doesn't have a reputation for violence from what I know.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:53 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Sorry to be a "downer" on your thread, WinterGreen . . .

However, to be close to your family in / near Marana, I have a feeling you can do better. Border towns have their charm and are fun to visit in most cases but from your "self-description," Nogales will grow old fairly fast as well as the drive to North of Tucson.

Good Luck

Old 11-08-2014, 03:43 AM

79 posts, read 153,320 times
I'm white and recommend Nogales, especially if you are retired. Number one reason is the climate is a lot better than PHX, mainly the Summer. Many cool with evap.. Tubac is a lot more upscale, but much less convenient. Patagonia is much whiter, but a lot more expensive and has its own nuances. The east side of Rio Rico would be a good compromise, but you won't enjoy the city like conveniences of Nogales. Last Summer, the Nogales Little League hosted the Western Regional Tournament and kids and families from all over the West came and competed on the very nice ballfields. It was a tremendous success, and I'm sure many had been skeptical. There are many honest tradesmen and small business people down there. My realtor went to high school with Sheriff Tony. PM me and I will give you her info...and she won't let you buy in a flood plain. Marana sucks!

Old 11-12-2014, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 17,912 times
Thank you all for your info it was very helpful! We have decided to be a bit closer to Tucson for medical reasons (still love Nogales area tho)

Really appreciate the info and everyone taking the time to answer this, didn't think I'd even get one reply and got all these good ones, thanks again!

Old 11-12-2014, 05:52 PM

701 posts, read 1,428,480 times
Are there parts of Nogales, AZ that I've missed? Downtown Nogales always seemed a bit dumpy/seedy to me.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:59 AM

79 posts, read 153,320 times
Meadow Hills is very nice....and BTW, most of Tuscon seems dumpy/seedy and 2/3 of Phoenix.

Photo from I-19 N, just outside of Nogales...
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking of moving to Nogales AZ-nogal.jpg  

Old 11-13-2014, 09:55 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,797,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
Are there parts of Nogales, AZ that I've missed? Downtown Nogales always seemed a bit dumpy/seedy to me.
Yes, you haven't seen some very nice housing locations. If possible have a local drive you around. Downtown Nogales is for shopping, there's lots more to the region.

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona