Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 4,323 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My Girlfriend and I were born and raised in Tacoma, WA. Were late 20 somethings looking for a warmer climate and overall change from Washington. We are expecting our first child in June and are trying to find potential places to live. We road tripped the US last summer and know we want to be somewhere close to the west coast. I buy and renovate homes in Washington and will be commuting back a fourth while I hope to start working in the area's real estate market so a city big enough for a real estate market is a must or within 20 minutes of one. My g/f is in school and will be working in the medical field after graduating. If you are familiar with Pierce county Washington we live in the North End of Tacoma and enjoy Gig Harbor. I earn a good living and would like a gated community feel without the Prada Gucci attitudes. We are going to head back down to Arizona in a few weeks and check out some neighborhoods in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area to see if anything feels right so far we are thinking about checking out Rio Verde and North Scottsdale but this is just from some basic searching online. Just looking for some suggestions and were are open to being outside of the Phoenix area.

Some info on Us

Things we enjoy

Safety
Good schools
Nice Grocery store options
Scenery
Land at least half an acre or so
Older homes
Nice restaurants
Warm weather
Hiking/Golfing/Being outdoors

Things we can could without
Subdivisions
Trailer Parks
City Living
Paying for parking
Rain/Cold/Freezing

Thanks Again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 12:01 PM

558 posts, read 977,498 times
Take a look at Prescott, it's got everything on your "enjoy" list and is 90 minutes from Phoenix.

As far as "rain/cold/freezing", it's got a mild 4 season climate. Not incredibly hot in the summer (I don't have A/C in my house) and it only snows 2-3 times a winter and generally melts off the pavement the same day. If it's sunny (duh!), you can walk around with just a sweater on during the day.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:23 PM

43 posts, read 105,311 times
Washington is now the new California. Here in Arizona we are still Conservative and very gun friendly Coming from Washington I bet California would be a way better choice.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 4,323 times
Thanks we will check out Prescott. Is there any particular neighborhoods to check out.? There are a lot of great things about Washington but we are just looking for a change. We are going to look in Cali too but beach is not a must for us. Thanks again

Old 11-25-2014, 12:04 PM

558 posts, read 977,498 times
Prescott has a wide variety of neighborhoods depending on what you're looking for. In the metro area, Prescott is the priciest and arguably the nicest, Prescott Valley has some nice areas but many tract subdivisions at a better price than Prescott, Chino Valley is where you go if you want 1 acre and a horse, Williamson Valley (unincorporated) is where you find the 20 acre mini ranches with big homes and stables.

I recommend you post additional questions over in the Prescott subforum.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:36 PM

44 posts, read 71,012 times
Getting into a gated community with large lots is going to be difficult unless you go into the really exclusive parts of North Scottsdale/Carefree. Check out the Northwest part of Phoenix. Anything west of 51st AVE (not St.) and North of Thunderbird Rd. It's a very safe area, I wouldn't worry about having to be in a gated community. Especially Thunderbird Rd and Greenway, lots of big lots and very well kept older homes. Between 59th and what... 75th? On Thunderbird, with some side detours you should find those older, well kept properties. If you are more inclined to the gated community thing, just go north. You might also check out an area off of Happy Valley Rd and 55th Ave. Again, just what you're looking for.

There are small trailer parks scattered about every now and then, USUALLY they are just retired snowbirds and about as dangerous as a newborn puppy, use common sense and discretion, you'll see what I mean. The only NOT very nice trailer park area in North Phoenix I can think of is that area just west of 67th between Thunderbird and Bell, but it is extremely isolated and the people there aren't exactly hardened criminals, just a little on the "homely" side. Everything around it is nice. It reminds me how it's always a crack up when you go to the Wal-Mart on 59th and bell where you'll see new Land Rover's and BMW's parked next to old lifted pick ups and ford taurus station wagons.

Another area I would suggest is Anthem. One of the top spots in the nation to raise a family. Very family oriented, mostly young professional folks, lots of young families, incredibly safe, gated communites, not as expensive as Scottsdale, tons of outdoor activities, incredible scenery and you're just 15 minutes north of Phoenix and the 101 loop.

Also keep in mind, 99% of Phoenix is new. It's like America's Dubai. There's not a whole lot of old architecture here, it's all about new and fancy. The only exception is some real estate, but even most real estate here is new and fancy.

Good luck in finding the perfect fit!

Old 12-01-2014, 07:01 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,777,002 times
Initially I thoight north Phoenix but not if you want an acre. Cave creek might be an option.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:09 PM

44 posts, read 71,012 times
You can EASILY get an Acre in North Phoenix. The entire area out towards Lake Pleasant, all up and down Happy Valley Rd, Thunderbird Rd. There are LOTS of places to get a good deal on a acre of land up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona