Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:54 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times

Advertisements

My former employer pays commissions quarterly in arrears, usually two mos. after the end of the quarter. They don't provide commission statements or any documentation as to how they arrived at the dollar figure. The commissions are arbitrary and capricious and we find out how we did for that quarter by checking our checking account balance two mos. after the end of the quarter.

Although my offer letter states my base salary and the commission amount to be paid at 100% of goal, they gave us no goals, just said the payout at 100% is XX. Everyone, including managers, knows they just pay whatever they feel like and expect everyone to keep their mouths shut if they want to keep their jobs.

Now that I no longer work there, I want to file a wage claim for the difference between what they said I would earn at 100% of plan and what they actually paid me. I have very little documentation beyond my offer letter, and the employer cannot provide any record of my having underperformed. My two managers for 2014 always said I was doing great and I frequently asked them for reports, numbers and documentation of performance, but they always said they didn't have any. Since they're both good friends of mine, but still employed there, I doubt they'll be of much help in this case. So there's not much documentation and my case probably rests on whether my former employer wants to make up bogus documentation and submit it or just claim that I underperformed but was never disciplined for it.

Anyone have any luck with a wage claim and how much documentation did you and your former employer provide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 06:23 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
Depending on the amount of money you reasonably expect to be awarded after the litigation process will determine if you will be able to find a competent attorney who will take on your case.

Rich

Old 02-28-2015, 06:24 PM

It's not a lot; it's just over the $5k limit AZ DOL will help handle outside of court.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Then handle it through the state Labor Dept. I think they do a good job; it's certainly worth going down there with what you have and see where it goes.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:42 PM

I don't want to get too far into it here, but I can't just ask for $5k because that's the limit they'll help me with. I am owed more than that and I have to document how I arrived at the figure. So just saying $5k is gonna require some creative accounting. I haven't ruled that out, but I'm trying to figure out a way I could arrive at that figure, since the difference between that and what I'm owed would not be worth the hassle of going through small claims court and paying an out-of-state process server to serve them

Old 03-01-2015, 10:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I don't want to get too far into it here, but I can't just ask for $5k because that's the limit they'll help me with. I am owed more than that and I have to document how I arrived at the figure. So just saying $5k is gonna require some creative accounting. I haven't ruled that out, but I'm trying to figure out a way I could arrive at that figure, since the difference between that and what I'm owed would not be worth the hassle of going through small claims court and paying an out-of-state process server to serve them

Have you talked to the staff at the Labor Department about your situation? That's the first thing I'd do.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 PM

Yes, I have. They are a little weird, sending me email replies to questions I didn't ask. But they were nice on the phone and said they would help if I was claiming $5k or less owed and could justify that number.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:26 AM

I spoke with an employment law atty. today who thinks I have a case, wants to know which of my former co-workers are willing to sign-on, but they want a $200 consultation fee to go beyond the 5 min. phone call we just had. I don't know if this is a cash grab on their part or if they just want to see if I'm serious. Checking with former co-workers to see if any want to split the fee with me.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:52 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
Just a gentle reminder. The great French philosopher Voltaire was quoted as saying he was ruined twice in his life. Once when he lost a lawsuit and once when he won one.

Rich

Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 PM

This ain't going to court. I got documentation today which makes my case iron clad. Will go through labor commission for this and the other side would be silly to fight it, as it will draw a lot more scrutiny than they want on their shenanigans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona