Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:35 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Well, not really. For one there aren't any major points of entry or any real sizable towns along the New Mexico/Mexican border. We don't have the kind of migration that goes on around Nogales or El Paso/Juarez. Also a huge bulk of the Hispanic population that is here has had family living here for several generations, many long before New Mexico was a state. Most of the Hispanic population here are not recent migrants, and many of them speak only English. We don't have as much agriculture in New Mexico as Arizona does, so migrant workers aren't as attracted to NM. Also the majority of the state's population is further north, not near the borderlands.
The Borderlands includes El Paso, it's only 45 miles away from Las Cruces! Yes, lots of murders on the news, all on the Texas / Juarez side it seemed. From past visits north of I-40, sitting in a empty bar one evening in Santa Fe, I heard the real story from the bartender about ethnic populations and heritage. SantaFe is the second oldest city in North America (sans MX. ) and was the capital of the northern territories of MX. And as time went on , Mexico sort of lost interest in supplying and defending the area. All along, from the start . Many Spanish Land Grants reflected the pure blood Spanish residents. Some who are still fighting the Mexican takeover from Spain.Besides the native peoples , it was MX. Loyalist against the pure bloods from Spain. That distinction still exists today. Just Pryor to the War with Mexico, Santa Fe was becoming more and more people from the U S. I guess all this was taking place 1834 to 1848 when The treaty of Guadeloupe gave all the lands to the United States, which took a while to sort out. Santa Fe gave in to the Americans after some hold out, but in the end they were getting a better deal from the US anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 03:13 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
NM and AZ 1 state, may I suggest to place the capitol somewhere in Maine.....

Old 03-11-2015, 09:02 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
A-ha! Now we know where Arizonas infamous politics come from!
You might say that AZ is the most western "Southern State" in terms of their historical racism.

In this wonderful history book I read, it's never stopped, at least with the Mexicans which helped AZ become what it is today.

Copper/Gold/Silver prices fall: Deport the Mexicans, they're not needed anymore! Prices go up: We're sorry! Come back! Come back!

Cotton prices up, they're welcomed, cotton prices down, they're not welcome, go home! Deportations once again!

During the massive overbuilding of houses, we love you Mexicans! Real estate crash, go home, go home!

In a church in Phoenix, there were separate services, for whites upstairs, Mexicans abajo, downstairs!

And the blacks were treated no different than in Mississippi or Alabama!

Did that ever happen in New Mexico?

If combined, how about ZonaMexico?

Old 03-11-2015, 11:13 PM

Anyone even know where the name even came from? Arizona . Sounds like a hippie name, was actually coined in a song. " Arizona, take off your rainbow shades, Arizona cut off your Indian braids" .....was a hippie girl, not a State.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:26 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I wonder if it would have worked? I'm in NM and it's like night and day the differences between NM and AZ, politically and socially.
Remember we're talking about when they were territories, and they were practically identical at that time. The political and social differences are only a thing of recent decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I guess NM is gaining in the crime game.
No. It's always been high in crime.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:40 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
There still are a fair amount of true blood Spanish family's around Santa Fe...….

It's not just Santa Fe. It's all over central and northern NM, especially in Albuquerque and surrounding areas. We have clients who can track their family tree back to the Spanish land grants in the 1500s.

I am going to say that it is possible to perceive that NM doesn't have a problem with its borders because it has stronger ties to Mexico; i.e. a much larger Hispanic population who just accepts the ebb and flow of Hispanics across the border and may not care too much about the legality of their presence.

LOL! You want to see class division at work? Talk to a New Mexican of Spanish descent about the Mexicans here. OMG. Scottsdale snobs are amateurs compared to some of the 'elite' here. But yes, we do have a better understanding of the immigration (legal and illegalO) issues here and prefer to find better ways to handle it than publicizing everyone's personal info in the paper (you guys really need to elect some new state legislature people, they're the ones making AZ look stupid).

Old 03-12-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Remember we're talking about when they were territories, and they were practically identical at that time. The political and social differences are only a thing of recent decades.

No. It's always been high in crime.
Thats a strong statement. AZ. Has Many times more people, and I am sure more crime considering it's almost part of California. For fair comparisons we must go back to Territorial days. Reminds me of the movie "True Grit "

Old 03-12-2015, 07:24 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
You do realize AZ was part of the territory of NM at first?

Arizona Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How did Arizona Get its Name? |

Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You might say that AZ is the most western "Southern State" in terms of their historical racism.

In this wonderful history book I read, it's never stopped, at least with the Mexicans which helped AZ become what it is today.

Copper/Gold/Silver prices fall: Deport the Mexicans, they're not needed anymore! Prices go up: We're sorry! Come back! Come back!

Cotton prices up, they're welcomed, cotton prices down, they're not welcome, go home! Deportations once again!

During the massive overbuilding of houses, we love you Mexicans! Real estate crash, go home, go home!

In a church in Phoenix, there were separate services, for whites upstairs, Mexicans abajo, downstairs!

And the blacks were treated no different than in Mississippi or Alabama!

Did that ever happen in New Mexico?

If combined, how about ZonaMexico?
If NM is so wonderful, what are you doing in Nevada?

Old 03-12-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
You do realize AZ was part of the territory of NM at first?

Arizona Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How did Arizona Get its Name? |
Most people we run across are basically ignorant when it comes to geography / history. Differences in opinion should be based on defined search/interpretation and reason. For the historian of the area, more needs to be said about just where Arizona actually is. Early history of the SW ( 1500s and later ) speak not about this " Arizona" anything more than a mystical place somewhere in the Sonora Desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona