Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:21 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times

Advertisements

I was just watching a PBS program "Grand Canyon Serenade" which has some outstanding video footage of the canyon. I've been to the canyon once and did the 9 mile round trip hike down Bright Angel to Indian Garden and back up to the rim. It was incredibly rigorous to do in one day, but I loved the challenge of it. I want to go back again, there so much to explore and I think I'd like to do the North Rim (in season) next time.

But that got me wondering how often people that live in Arizona and have easy access to it go up and visit. When I was hiking there I ran into people from all over the world. Do people that live in the Valley or Tucson take the opportunity to explore up there, or do they prefer other parts of the state? I realize I'll probably get a variety of answers here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 08:22 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tNoCKED9w

Old 03-12-2015, 09:32 PM

191 posts, read 171,939 times
I have often thought more people from Germany know more about Arizona than Arizonians. Go to the Grand Canyon in May or early June. You will have to look pretty hard to find an Arizona plate in the campgrounds. After Germans you will find people from states like Washington, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc who visit the park. So people from Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Britain, etc. know more about Arizona than natives. I think that's kind of cool.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:28 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,921 times
I lived in AZ 23 years before getting to the Canyon, but I made up for it with subsequent visits.

I think many people hold off on seeing what is close by, maybe because they figure they can get there anytime...?

When traveling elsewhere I've had people say to me that I'd seen more of their local area than they had.

I like that video.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:59 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,082 times
Worked with a guy who was born and lived in Phoenix, he was about 35 and never been to the grand canyon....

But I do not think folks from Germany and so on know more about the state, They never did know it was in Arizona till they booked a vacation.... And Tombstone is more famous than Phoenix in Europe......
To say they know more about AZ is just ridiculous.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:41 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Grand Canyon is a nice but brief summer getaway trip for me. I try to go every other year at least. One of the best things to do is to stay overnight in Williams and take the train to the Canyon. This is convenient in so many ways. It eliminates the hassle of driving, waiting in traffic lines, and paying a separate park entrance fee. The park fee is actually included in the train fare, so basically it's a one shot deal as far as cost.

Many visitors to the Grand Canyon are also visitors of Las Vegas ... and some of these people who know very little about geography actually believe the Grand Canyon is adjacent to Vegas, or some kind of natural attraction located in Nevada instead of Arizona. A lot of this is because some vacation packages include both Vegas & the Canyon, so they somehow link the two together. In reality, the Grand Canyon is Arizona's crown jewel that no other state can claim.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:14 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
I haven't been there since '86. In college in the 70s I backpacked in there a few times. Maybe 4 or 5. As kid of 8 in the 60s we visited the south rim. That's the extent of my visits.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:15 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,608,709 times
Quote:
How often do Arizonans get up to the Grand Canyon?
I've been over to Disneyland several more times than I've ever been to the Grand Canyon, which has been only ONCE ever!

When I'm inside Disneyland, I observe many different tour groups of people from other countries, and they are speaking many different languages other than English.

Seems to me that National Parks and other attractions are mainly for tourists, and the natives aren't as excited about such things.

Last edited by Colt AZ; 03-13-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 09:20 AM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseca View Post
I have often thought more people from Germany know more about Arizona than Arizonians. Go to the Grand Canyon in May or early June. You will have to look pretty hard to find an Arizona plate in the campgrounds. After Germans you will find people from states like Washington, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc who visit the park. So people from Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Britain, etc. know more about Arizona than natives. I think that's kind of cool.

How does going to the Grand Canyon make a person know more about Arizona than a person that lives here?

Never been there, no plans on going.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:30 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
I try and get up there at least once every two years. Last time I went was last October, which I planned to hike a good amount, but I couldnt get around to it. I plan to hike the Bright Angel trail this summer sometime, maybe May or early June hopefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona