Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:38 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times

Advertisements

I am a bit confused on how license plate/title transfer fees are calculated in AZ..

In Illinois, where we will be moving from, its pretty simple; license plates have a flat cost, depending upon what kind of vehicle you drive.( car, truck, etc)

In Arizona, I see its based on the "value" of your car, which sounds really expensive to me.

I have 2 leased cars, one with a "retail" value of 50k, and another with a "retail" value of 35k.

Is my license plate cost based on the "retail" value, the "lease amount", or the "residual" value at the end of the lease?

Also, do I have to pay another fee to transfer my drivers license, or fees on anything else when I move here?

I already paid sales tax in Illinois when we leased these cars; will I get wacked again for more sales tax when I move here?

In Illinois, my plates are about 100 bucks a year, but I have the feeling I will be paying ALOT more in AZ every year for plates..I guess some things are more expensive out here!

Thanks!

Last edited by wase4711; 05-25-2015 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I am a bit confused on how license plate/title transfer fees are calculated in AZ..

In Illinois, where we will be moving from, its pretty simple; license plates have a flat cost, depending upon what kind of vehicle you drive.( car, truck, etc)

In Arizona, I see its based on the "value" of your car, which sounds really expensive to me.

I have 2 leased cars, one with a "retail" value of 50k, and another with a "retail" value of 35k.

Is my license plate cost based on the "retail" value, the "lease amount", or the "residual" value at the end of the lease?

Also, do I have to pay another fee to transfer my drivers license, or fees on anything else when I move here?

I already paid sales tax in Illinois when we leased these cars; will I get wacked again for more sales tax when I move here?

In Illinois, my plates are about 100 bucks a year, but I have the feeling I will be paying ALOT more in AZ every year for plates..

Thanks!

Registering your cars will probably be more in Az but they will decrease by 16.25% when you renew. The good news is your drivers license will be a lot cheaper based on your age and they're good until you're 65.

Arizona Car Registration Guide - Renewals, Online & Mail Options, Forms, & Fees - DMV.org

Quote:
The Arizona MVD charges both registration/titling fees and a separate vehicle license tax on all registered vehicles in the state.

Registration and Titling Fees
Registration fee: $8.
Title fee: $4.
Air Quality Research fee: $1.50.
3-day permit: $1.
90-day registration fee: $15.
Arizona Vehicle License Tax
The state also charges a vehicle license tax (VLT) at every registration and renewal. This tax is assessed for each $100 of your vehicle's value. Note that the value of your vehicle is calculated as 60% of the original manufacturer's retail price, and that total will be lowered by 16.25% at every registration renewal.

For each $100 of the vehicle's value, you will be assessed:

New vehicles: $2.80.
Used vehicles: $2.89.
Alternative Fuel Vehicle: $4.
Please note that if you are registering your vehicle for 2 years or 5 years, you will be responsible for paying the total tax amount for all years you are registering for
Arizona New License Application Info at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Quote:
The fee you pay for your new AZ license will vary, depending on your age and license type.

16 to 39 years old: $25.
40 to 44 years old: $20.
45 to 49 years old: $15.
50 years old and older: $10.
Driver's license valid for 5 years.: $10.
Limited licenses: $10.
The fees lower as age increases due to the fact that licenses expire when the driver turns 65 years old (except in the case of a license valid for 5 years issued to drivers over 60 years old).

Any additional info regarding your vehicle you should be able to find here

New Arizona Resident Guide: License, Registration, Address Change | DMV.org

Old 05-25-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Registering your cars will probably be more in Az but they will decrease by 16.25% when you renew. The good news is your drivers license will be a lot cheaper based on your age and they're good until you're 65.

Arizona Car Registration Guide - Renewals, Online & Mail Options, Forms, & Fees - DMV.org

Arizona New License Application Info at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

Any additional info regarding your vehicle you should be able to find here

New Arizona Resident Guide: License, Registration, Address Change | DMV.org

So, am I correct in assuming that a 1 year old car, even though it is leased, that had a retail price of 50,000 on the sticker will cost 840 dollars a year for plates????(50,000 x 60%=30000X2.80= $840.

That is fricken unbelievable, after paying 100 bucks to the crooks in Illinois...

Old 05-26-2015, 05:22 AM

14 posts, read 41,369 times
I paid $1,200 for my truck plates in Colorado when I first bought it. $55,000 cost

My wife came from Florida where she never paid more than $50 a year.

I'm not sure who is doing better but they will get it either way. I think their property tax was really high.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:23 AM

yeah, I guess so..
our real estate, gas taxes, toll ways every where and sales taxes are outrageous in Illinois so I guess they get you one way or the other..

Old 05-26-2015, 09:38 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
yeah, I guess so..
our real estate, gas taxes, toll ways every where and sales taxes are outrageous in Illinois so I guess they get you one way or the other..
Ya got that right, Wase . . . "they get you one way or the other." However, I do believe you will find Arizona to be a much less expensive place to live overall.

I have a feeling your $840 calculation may be a little high as (if I remember correctly) the first year registration on my Chevy SSR (similar value) was only about $600.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Ya got that right, Wase . . . "they get you one way or the other." However, I do believe you will find Arizona to be a much less expensive place to live overall.

I have a feeling your $840 calculation may be a little high as (if I remember correctly) the first year registration on my Chevy SSR (similar value) was only about $600.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Thanks Bummer!

I was hoping when it came to getting plates on a lease, you would only get wacked for the "leased amount" of the car,( on my 50k lexus, its about 30k or so), but, as you said, "they get you one way or the other"!
Are there tollways everywhere in AZ now, or are most highways still free? In Illinois, all the new roads are tolls, and even though we were promised they would only be tolls "until they were paid for", those roads NEVER became free ways, and every new road now becomes a toll road..
Between that, and having the highest gas taxes in the nation, and the sheetiest roads in the country, its no bargain driving here either...Add the salt/rust cycle of the winter, and it just sux having a nice car here..

Old 05-26-2015, 10:33 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
You are most welcome, Wase . . .

By the way, that line "they get you one way or the other" isn't mine, it was yours.

Arizona is definitely NOT perfect but it sure sounds like it beats the heck out of Illinois.

Once again, Good Luck and WELCOME.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:17 PM

14 posts, read 41,369 times
They will charge you the year 1 price or total assessed value. Doesn't matter if it is lease or buy.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:50 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
The Arizona license and tag fees certainly benefit those of us how "buy and hold" our vehicles. When I moved to Arizona, I paid $150 for a my drivers license, title and two years of registration for my 2007 Toyota Corolla which is far less than Illinois, and the drivers license is good for 10 years without those infernal stickers on the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona