Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 05:00 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Is there a website that gives you an idea of what the registration fee would be? Would make it easier when shopping for a new car.
Or a site that provides the year by year decrease?
I'm wondering if it's a straight percentage based on MSRP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 06:40 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Wow didn't this thread turn out fun...quite a few sore people on here. I never understood when people hate on others like that...does it even occur that some may buy it for themselves and no to "make a statement"? Take my car...it's a smallish 2 door coupe with a 6 speed manual transmission that pretty much every review out there says is one of the best cars BMW has made in a long time. It's a great car, it's very quick, fun to drive, and makes a great sound. If people think others buy cars just to impress them, that's their own internal issue.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:43 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Or a site that provides the year by year decrease?
I'm wondering if it's a straight percentage based on MSRP.
base value =
60% of msrp, reduced 16.25% each year

tax = 2.89 per $100 of base value

How are my AZ vehicle registration fees calculated?

Old 07-03-2015, 06:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Many of the BMWs depreciate rather quickly after a few years and that is the main reason you see so many of them. It's all the people who couldn't keep up paying the repair bill for them who end up selling them. Look at used car prices for 4-5 year old BMWs and it's pretty crazy how "affordable" they are. They become much more affordable given some time and people think they hold some mythical status symbol so many people who shouldn't be buying them, end up buying them.
True I saw a don't waste your money show on how you could buy a BMW 750li four years from original purchase it costs 30k and it is 90k new. It deprecates all almost of its value in four years and same with the Mercedes S Class, yet older Toyota's and Honda's hold your initial value better, I was surprised but not shocked. German cars tend to be expensive to maintain. Buying a used BMW 7 series or Mercedes S class seems like a good buy if you can want 4 or 5 years for the car to depreciate.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:00 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Wow didn't this thread turn out fun...quite a few sore people on here. I never understood when people hate on others like that...does it even occur that some may buy it for themselves and no to "make a statement"? Take my car...it's a smallish 2 door coupe with a 6 speed manual transmission that pretty much every review out there says is one of the best cars BMW has made in a long time. It's a great car, it's very quick, fun to drive, and makes a great sound. If people think others buy cars just to impress them, that's their own internal issue.
No hate here! You own one of the best performance cars on the road. Easily best BMW they make. Not a single other car in their line even compares to the 3 series. It's not for everyone but some of us do enjoy the driving experience. I drive a 17-20 MPG daily driver car everyday because she's fast, loud and fun as hell. More power to you if you've got the money to enjoy it.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:03 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,237 times
Quote:
They take a dump because people are afraid to own a luxury car out of warranty.
My wife's Mercedes only cost $12.5K with 57K miles. You can substitute Cadillac, BMW, Jaguar... they all do the same.
Yup, definitely true. If you want to be smart about it, buy a used one and save tons of cash from the original MSPR. The money you pocket not buying new can surely cover repair costs if you aren't trying to live above your means. Plus insurance and registration is so much cheaper. And you still have a really nice car to drive but saved thousands buying used.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:41 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
No hate here! You own one of the best performance cars on the road. Easily best BMW they make. Not a single other car in their line even compares to the 3 series. It's not for everyone but some of us do enjoy the driving experience. I drive a 17-20 MPG daily driver car everyday because she's fast, loud and fun as hell. More power to you if you've got the money to enjoy it.
Mines not a 3 Series though.
It's an M235i.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:46 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Nonsense, you bought it to impress your neighbors . Some people don't understand car people. I agree with you, I have the SUV because I have 2 kids and haul them and sports equipment, etc but I got the 50i V8 version for better performance and did a dinan aftermarket tune to make it "almost" as fast as the M and just as loud. will take a Camaro SS in a race and is fun every time I fire it up I care about performance not luxury. some people are not car people which I understand.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
If people think others buy cars just to impress them, that's their own internal issue.
I just like to buy nice cars for cheap. A car that causes me to have sky-high plates is not a car I'm going to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
base value =
60% of msrp, reduced 16.25% each year

tax = 2.89 per $100 of base value

How are my AZ vehicle registration fees calculated?
Thank you.
As I suspected, the owner of a 26 year old car will pay next to nothing.
Since I have classic insurance I believe I do not have to test for emissions either.

Last edited by eaton53; 07-03-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 08:08 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
I just like to buy nice cars for cheap. A car that causes me to have sky-high plates is not a car I'm going to buy.
People on here are saying that they can save money buying a 4 year old BMW for cheap because it is "expensive to fix" but then don't factor in the "expense to fix" in the low price, seems they should. I am really driving my vehicle, not holding back at all so lord help the next owner. I was actually considering the Explorer Sport as the alternative as it also has great performance but I felt it lacked in the handling, I didn't care about the "badge". if you're a car person and have worked hard and can afford it, nothing wrong with buying an expensive car. people should stop worrying about how others spend their money IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona