Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:12 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,649,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
I believe that is true, and maybe I am generalizing, but obviously the publicity this "rally" received nation (and world) wide definitely didn't paint a pretty picture of some of the residents. Aside from the one in Phoenix, I've never seen or heard of a mass protest outside a mosque in any other U.S city/state.
Well, I'll tell ya, I've learned a lot about the media during my recent friends disappearance and murder. We were astonished by what they said on the news vs the real truth. Plus, trying to encourage speculations that were unfavorable for the victims. It was a real eye opener for me and how I feel a bout the media. I no longer think highly of what they have to offer the public as a service and see it more as a reality screwed t.v. series that's ongoing.

I don't expect we could see what was really going on down there unless we were there in person. I was not in AZ at that time but, each side I'm sure feels they have a good reason to protest. Like I said, it's human nature to protect yourself, and some people do this by pumping up for a fight, and others ignore. Some try to love their way out of a bad situation as well. But, in the end, you just have a couple of groups of scared people. It won't disappear until the threat does.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:13 AM

31,343 posts, read 22,330,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm afraid it's hard to be a Muslim in any state these days in the U.S. I often tell people of color it's not you who really suffer from prejudice now it's Muslims. Since the bombing and terrorist threats they have a heck of a time here in America.

Humans fear, therefore they avoid to protect, hate to protect, it's human nature. If you vomit after eating a burger, you probably will avoid that burger and place you purchased it for awhile. We do this regarding everything we fear.

Muslims aren't terrorists, but since some terrorist are Muslim we associate. The Muslims are having a hard time, and will continue to as long as groups like ISIS are calling out all violent Muslims to take action. This will go on for awhile until we can get a hold of the source and thwart it.

If we could only unplug our human instinct to avoid and hate what we fear.
Good points.

Survival instincts are probably the most innate and strongest there are. Doubt they will be going away anytime soon!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:27 AM

169 posts, read 155,273 times
Default Being Black in AZ. Is it possible to be prosperous in this Republican State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Are blacks able to grow? I still don't understand. How specifically do you think people here are going to hold you back from reaching your full potential? What are you looking to do when you move here?
I just want to work and go home to enjoy life!

Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,753,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
I just want to work and go home to enjoy life!
Then I'd say you'll be fine. Most people I talk to here want to do exactly that.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:32 PM

Thumbs up Being Black in AZ. Is it possible to be prosperous in this Republican State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Maybe you should stop watching the tube. It's their business to sensationalize and exaggerate to make money. In turn we have a lot of scared people tip toeing around life. It's unhealthy and not warranted. It's far from reality. Our proportion of jerks is about the same as any other state. People are people regardless of location. We have a few jerks, but I've not see many. They are easy to ignore.

Money will determine your neighborhood not the color of your skin and like all of America those without a lot of money don't fair as well as those who have it. We have poor areas of the state where life will seem harder for those people who earn less. That is especially true in AZ where we have little welfare to offer. That said, the outskirts of Phoenix have pretty affordable housing in low crime settings which I'm thankful for since the majority of people here work in the service industry and work hard and long for their dollar.

If you have a decent job and some savings you'll find it pretty enjoyable here.

You can use the "search" this thread to find a ton of posts about this subject. A lot of black people post this question when they move to a different state. "Will I be accepted or hated for my color there" is a common question. It's a pity you feel you have to ask this, hopefully after you move here you will see how silly it was. The majority of people in Arizona are really nice people, to everyone.

We get accused of prejudice here against Hispanics by the media. Part of this is because while we have a large Mexican American population here, we also have a large illegal immigration problem from Mexico. Our law enforcement have a difficult time separating the two. Trying to make it easier by requiring identification has led to the "profiling" reputation we've attained. So, you can see the problem.

You will find yourself guilty of this as well after you've been here awhile. You are not allowed to hire illegals to work on your home. Good luck trying to figure out by looks or conversation which ones are legal or not. If you ask you are profiling. It's hardest for legal Mexican citizens because most people will just hire a person who's anything but Hispanic so they know they aren't breaking the law. This is making it difficult for legal people to get work in the service community. A friend of mine has moved because of this. His lawn business suffered after the imposed laws and he was sick of being profiled as an illegal since he was born here, and it felt insulting, I can just imagine. It's a difficult situation for a border state to deal with without pissing off a whole demographic but we try.
Thank you so much for the info, it's very helpful and you are absolutely right about the question. I strongly dislike the topic but one post after another I feel really good that beautiful sunset

Old 07-09-2015, 12:47 PM

6,409 posts, read 9,038,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Unless, of course, you happen to be a Muslim-American

Hundreds gather in Arizona for armed anti-Muslim protest - The Washington Post
Interesting comment from someone not too far from Boston where not too long ago busing led to riots.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:01 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,641,117 times
OP's post isn't out of line. It is possible to be black and prosperous in Arizona. African Americans hold some very prominent positions here. The mayor of Paradise Valley (the wealthiest city in Arizona) was black. There are many blacks in executive and other professional positions here.

The whole LDS racism claim is untrue. The racial discrimations imposed by the LDS church has subsided. Most Mormons are accepting of people of all races. Additionally, Mormons don't really have a palpable presence here outside of Gilbert and Mesa. This place doesn't have a suffocating theocratic feel to it like most of Utah.

Arizona is a very racist state, yes. However, this racism is almost exclusively between whites and Mexicans. As someone who is neither white nor Mexican, I am often seen as a neutral party where people feel comfortable expressing their true views in my presence. I have heard people spew vile hatred toward Mexicans here. On the flip side, I hear some horrible things that have been said and done to my Mexican coworkers and neighbors. I did have a neighbor who flew a confederate flag. That neighbor and I never said a word to each other though, so there was no harm. There's a lot of low class, trashy types here who just pull those antics to try to seem tough or rebellious. Take it with a grain of salt. Most people here will leave you alone.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:28 PM

Smile Being Black in AZ. Is it possible to be prosperous in this Republican State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
OP's post isn't out of line. It is possible to be black and prosperous in Arizona. African Americans hold some very prominent positions here. The mayor of Paradise Valley (the wealthiest city in Arizona) was black. There are many blacks in executive and other professional positions here.

The whole LDS racism claim is untrue. The racial discrimations imposed by the LDS church has subsided. Most Mormons are accepting of people of all races. Additionally, Mormons don't really have a palpable presence here outside of Gilbert and Mesa. This place doesn't have a suffocating theocratic feel to it like most of Utah.

Arizona is a very racist state, yes. However, this racism is almost exclusively between whites and Mexicans. As someone who is neither white nor Mexican, I am often seen as a neutral party where people feel comfortable expressing their true views in my presence. I have heard people spew vile hatred toward Mexicans here. On the flip side, I hear some horrible things that have been said and done to my Mexican coworkers and neighbors. I did have a neighbor who flew a confederate flag. That neighbor and I never said a word to each other though, so there was no harm. There's a lot of low class, trashy types here who just pull those antics to try to seem tough or rebellious. Take it with a grain of salt. Most people here will leave you alone.
Thank you for your input, very much appreciated

Old 07-09-2015, 03:28 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,506,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Arizona is a very racist state, yes. However, this racism is almost exclusively between whites and Mexicans.
No. According to this tweet map, I would say you are very wrong.

Hate Map

Pick a term and look at the map. This data/methodology goes just a little beyond your circle of experience.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:19 PM

659 posts, read 943,966 times
There are lots of illegal Mexicans in this state so we Arizonans are used to them and are racists against them. You're black, you'll fit in just fine, we got no beef with you. It's the illegals that we Arizonans hate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona