Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 07:15 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,480,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I think the personal experiences of my friends and I is a little more valuable than a map from some random school, based off of tweets no less.

Unless you are a minority in this state, you have no room to talk. You can afford to keep your head buried in the sand. I can't. You can deny it until you turn blue in the face. Arizona has a much deserved reputation of being a racist state.
This is a public forum where I and others are free to express our opinions so I do indeed have "room to talk", thank you, as you are free to express your views.

I also didn't realize only minorities in this state could be called racist/derogatory terms but I'm always learning. Just for the record, I've heard many jokes/insults about my ancestor's country of origin(there are lots of them!) but you know what? I laugh them off and more importantly, I don't label any state as "being a racist state" as you do as a result of the actions of a few in my ultra small sample of life.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,677,744 times
Quote:
I think the personal experiences of my friends and I is a little more valuable than a map from some random school, based off of tweets no less.

Unless you are a minority in this state, you have no room to talk. You can afford to keep your head buried in the sand. I can't. You can deny it until you turn blue in the face. Arizona has a much deserved reputation of being a racist state.
How about some examples of your personal experiences?

Old 07-12-2015, 08:11 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,632,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
Thanks for your input. Do you have any advice you can share?
I would maybe advise you to attend church and build up your social network that way. I am not sure exactly where you're thinking of potentially settling in the state, but if you're in the Phoenix area, attending a church like Pilgrim Rest or Tanner AME would be a good way to meet other blacks in the area. Quite a few "movers and shakers" in the community attend these churches, so it is good way to network and quickly become familiar with the community. There is a large group of professional blacks and Hispanics in this state. Definitely a resource that I would encourage you to tap into.

Most people here will leave you alone. I have had several incidents of being called the "n" word here, but all of those experiences were by cowards in their cars. Like I said in my initial post much of the racism and stereotyping here seems to be geared toward Hispanic people. The black population is pretty well integrated with other races in Arizona. There are historically black neighborhoods in Phoenix and Tucson, but most of the black population in each city lives pretty much all over.

Beware of the low class element that is especially pervasive in Arizona. Over the past several weeks, I have seen about 5-6 Confederate flags being flown, mostly all from junky cars/trucks. It's just the kind of "in your face" sort of symbol that can be unsettling. People know that it harbors negative connotations for a group of people and yet they go out of their way to display it. As long as you just dismiss people like this for the low class, uneducated trash they are and keep moving, as opposed to confronting them, you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
This is a public forum where I and others are free to express our opinions so I do indeed have "room to talk", thank you, as you are free to express your views.

I also didn't realize only minorities in this state could be called racist/derogatory terms but I'm always learning. Just for the record, I've heard many jokes/insults about my ancestor's country of origin(there are lots of them!) but you know what? I laugh them off and more importantly, I don't label any state as "being a racist state" as you do as a result of the actions of a few in my ultra small sample of life.
Weird. You initially attempted to dismiss my personal experience with a map that you found online about racist tweets. You clearly have little, if any, experience in the subject. You have convinced yourself that there is no race problem and found some website to try to back up your claims. I have been called the "n" word several times since being here. Are you going to find some sham website to refute that too? Good for you for laughing off derogatory things that are said about your ancestors. Not all of us choose to take that approach.

You choose not to label any state as racist. I do. I am not going to deny my experiences and the experiences of those close to me because a group of people feel uncomfortable talking about race.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:18 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,480,793 times
Quote:
I would maybe advise you to attend church and build up your social network that way. I am not sure exactly where you're thinking of potentially settling in the state, but if you're in the Phoenix area, attending a church like Pilgrim Rest or Tanner AME would be a good way to meet other blacks in the area. Quite a few "movers and shakers" in the community attend these churches, so it is good way to network and quickly become familiar with the community. There is a large group of professional blacks and Hispanics in this state. Definitely a resource that I would encourage you to tap into.

Most people here will leave you alone. I have had several incidents of being called the "n" word here, but all of those experiences were by cowards in their cars. Like I said in my initial post much of the racism and stereotyping here seems to be geared toward Hispanic people. The black population is pretty well integrated with other races in Arizona. There are historically black neighborhoods in Phoenix and Tucson, but most of the black population in each city lives pretty much all over.

Beware of the low class element that is especially pervasive in Arizona. Over the past several weeks, I have seen about 5-6 Confederate flags being flown, mostly all from junky cars/trucks. It's just the kind of "in your face" sort of symbol that can be unsettling. People know that it harbors negative connotations for a group of people and yet they go out of their way to display it. As long as you just dismiss people like this for the low class, uneducated trash they are and keep moving, as opposed to confronting them, you should be fine.

Weird. You initially attempted to dismiss my personal experience with a map that you found online about racist tweets. You clearly have little, if any, experience in the subject. You have convinced yourself that there is no race problem and found some website to try to back up your claims. I have been called the "n" word several times since being here. Are you going to find some sham website to refute that too? Good for you for laughing off derogatory things that are said about your ancestors. Not all of us choose to take that approach.

You choose not to label any state as racist. I do. I am not going to deny my experiences and the experiences of those close to me because a group of people feel uncomfortable talking about race.
You are correct, I don't label any state as racist. A state exists with millions of people and it's logical to say if Arizona or any state is racist, that would mean all or the vast majority of people in the state are racist. Without any of us able to know all or most of the people in the state, how can I say that? I don't think that's a fair statement. Now if I say I've had some racist experiences in a given state....there you go! And unfortunately it happens as your experience shows. But to generalize most/all people in a state as racist because of the actions of a few/some? That's wrong in my book. And unfair. And insulting to others who are not like that.

I referenced that Tweet study because it is a nationwide picture of racist tweets that I feel gives a better general overview in the overall odds that some might individually experience than each of our own very small sample of experiences. It just shows frequency/likelihood. What I am saying is I feel if any of us extrapolate a very small sample of experiences to a state with millions of people is illogical and any statistician would say the same thing. In particular, you being called a derogatory term several times and labeling an entire state "racist" as a result. That's like me saying I dated 6, 12, or even 50 woman in AZ, they all broke up with me in short order, therefore AZ is a state that is tough to date in. See? That wouldn't be fair to conclude(shhh, don't tell my wife).

Again, my bottom line point....it's not fair to implicate everyone in an entire state, calling an entire state racist, for the actions of a few rude/ignorant individuals.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:41 PM

755 posts, read 676,634 times
Quote:
I read too many negative comments and experiences before coming to this forum. One lady said she had 3 degrees and could not find a job in AZ. She said she was really having a hard time and couldn't wait to be able move. I know it's just one experience but it was one that stuck with me. It made me wonder if she educated herself out of a job being over qualified.

I am black and my wife is black, we have degrees and never ever had a problem getting a job.....actually it was easy. We saw job opportunities, filled out the applications, got an interview and got hired.

Never ever had a problem with racism either. I have been here ten years and both neighborhoods I have lived in were/are predominantly white...but a little diverse with a few Asians, blacks, and Hispanics.....although not a one Hispanic neighbor in S. Chandler,lol.

I dearly and truly love Arizona. My eldest daughter loved growing up here (6-12). Unfortunately we will be moving back to LA next Spring; it caused me a lot of grief to rationalize moving back because I love it so much here......never thought I would like it this much.

I love it here so much, I am not selling my home and I plan on coming back to retire or if my new career has an opportunity here, I will move back.

Arizona is not racist at all. I really despise having that stigma attached to our state because of a few clowns.

Just be yourself and don't try to fit in. Just be friends with people who are good people no matter the race and you will be happy and feel like you belong.

I moved here 10 years ago and didn't know anyone, now I have tons of friends....mostly white, but that is because there are more white people here than black, but it doesn't matter...

Good luck

Old 07-13-2015, 08:53 AM

169 posts, read 154,902 times
Exclamation Being Black in AZ. Is it possible to be prosperous in this Republican State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
I am black and my wife is black, we have degrees and never ever had a problem getting a job.....actually it was easy. We saw job opportunities, filled out the applications, got an interview and got hired.

Never ever had a problem with racism either. I have been here ten years and both neighborhoods I have lived in were/are predominantly white...but a little diverse with a few Asians, blacks, and Hispanics.....although not a one Hispanic neighbor in S. Chandler,lol.

I dearly and truly love Arizona. My eldest daughter loved growing up here (6-12). Unfortunately we will be moving back to LA next Spring; it caused me a lot of grief to rationalize moving back because I love it so much here......never thought I would like it this much.

I love it here so much, I am not selling my home and I plan on coming back to retire or if my new career has an opportunity here, I will move back.

Arizona is not racist at all. I really despise having that stigma attached to our state because of a few clowns.

Just be yourself and don't try to fit in. Just be friends with people who are good people no matter the race and you will be happy and feel like you belong.

I moved here 10 years ago and didn't know anyone, now I have tons of friends....mostly white, but that is because there are more white people here than black, but it doesn't matter...

Good luck
You're absolutely right, it doesn't matter because God is LOVE!

On that note, I wanted to share that as I sat on my patio last night (so peaceful) tiki lights burning just talking to my husband and his brother I could see my vision. I realized that for us, living in AZ is going to feel like a permanent vacation. Every day when I get home from work will be like a vacation because I fully intend to get into the pool then sit poolside to wind down. One of my dreams will have come to fruition.

Good luck to you and yours on your move to LA!

Old 07-13-2015, 11:32 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,735,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post

Good luck
Jmac, good luck with your move to LA.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:02 AM

770 posts, read 839,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We are a racially mixed family and have lived around the country and around the world and I will tell you, without hesitation, the AZ (basically meaning the Phoenix/Tucson area because that is where everyone lives) is the among the best places for black people in the US. There is very little racial tension between blacks and whites in this state and blacks are more integrated into the population than anywhere in the US. Black/white relationships professionally, socially and personally and romantically are so commonplace here as to go totally unnoticed. As for opportunity, AZ has a black high school graduation rate that is consistently ranks as the highest or among the highest in the country. Whatever "racism" there is here is primarily directed at illegal immigrants and not AAs.

Of course there is another side to this integrated pattern. There is no AA enclave, no MLK boulevard, no concentration of services directed at the black community - in short no overwhelmingly black neighborhood or area where you can go. Your kids will have white or hispanic or Indian friends. They will date them too and have them as boyfriends and girlfriends. That can be very troubling to some who come from the segregated cities and areas of the US. I know some of my own extended family moved back to Alabama because they felt more comfortable in a place where they were surrounded by the culture they preferred.
Broadway Rd in South Phoenix is MLKJr Blvd from 48th ST to 67th Ave.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:23 PM

755 posts, read 676,634 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right, it doesn't matter because God is LOVE!

On that note, I wanted to share that as I sat on my patio last night (so peaceful) tiki lights burning just talking to my husband and his brother I could see my vision. I realized that for us, living in AZ is going to feel like a permanent vacation. Every day when I get home from work will be like a vacation because I fully intend to get into the pool then sit poolside to wind down. One of my dreams will have come to fruition.

Good luck to you and yours on your move to LA!

Thanks

and thanks TempeAZ

I have some time, but I know it is going to go fast

Old 07-14-2015, 04:28 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,572,418 times
I'm a white guy in Alabama. I can't make it here, with a Bachelors in Accounting from THE University of Alabama. I'm straight. I'm married. I'm semi-republican and 70% conservative.

Maybe it's my tan that shoots me down.

I don't know how anyone, anywhere "makes it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona