Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:18 PM

169 posts, read 154,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I'm a white guy in Alabama. I can't make it here, with a Bachelors in Accounting from THE University of Alabama. I'm straight. I'm married. I'm semi-republican and 70% conservative.

Maybe it's my tan that shoots me down.

I don't know how anyone, anywhere "makes it".
That's terrible but there's a whole lot of truth to that! Do you at least work in accounting? Are you sorry you went to college?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:54 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,570,798 times
Yep, sorry I went to college for Accounting. Poor fit. Honestly, there's a crap ton of us who should have spent our years toiling away doing manual labor, making perhaps less money, perhaps more money, perhaps just the same, but we are poor fits for office/admin/business.

But higher education has done the greatest sales job in the history of America.The billions of student loan debt are a testament to it.

A-Z16, keep your head up brother. YOU will be successful when you find that THING that you love and are good at. Matters NOT where you live, but Alabama should be down the list...FYI...

Old 07-15-2015, 11:11 AM

445 posts, read 516,209 times
I don't think Arizona is more racist than any other state, and actually you could make a really good argument that it is less. There is a fairly small percentage of African-Americans here, especially when comparing Phoenix to other cities of the same size. As a result, I think you have a lot of white people who grew up here that haven't had a whole lot of experience with African Americans. But for the most part the hatred that you often see in other parts of the countries doesn't seem to be there, especially when compared with many areas back east including several allegedly progressive cities in the North. I heard the N-word used in public far more the few years I lived in SW Michigan than I ever have here in Arizona.

Also, I lived in Chicago most of my life before coming out here four years ago. There, you had white neighborhoods, black neighborhoods, Puerto Rican neighborhoods, etc, with one side of the street or the other being the border to a different neighborhood and very little mixing in terms of where people live. That's not the case in Phoenix. There are definitely some extremely white areas, but more often than not there is a sizeable Latino and white population with a handful of other groups all living side by side. Neighborhoods in Phoenix are divided by income levels far more than they are by race.

Most of the vitriol tends to be directed at illegals, and unfortunately, it means that a lot of Mexican Americans who are law abiding US citizens get lumped in with that. There is a real problem as far as many Arizonans lumping all Latino folks together in that regard, and I'm sure it's what largely causes Arizona's reputation in the national media right now. As with most things, the national media tends to exaggerate it and take it to a real over-the-top level, but the whackadoo extremists who protest in front of mosques and take it upon themselves to patrol the border in their own pickup trucks while brandishing AR-15s certainly don't help to change any perceptions.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 AM

Default Being Black in AZ. Is it possible to be prosperous in this Republican State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
I don't think Arizona is more racist than any other state, and actually you could make a really good argument that it is less. There is a fairly small percentage of African-Americans here, especially when comparing Phoenix to other cities of the same size. As a result, I think you have a lot of white people who grew up here that haven't had a whole lot of experience with African Americans. But for the most part the hatred that you often see in other parts of the countries doesn't seem to be there, especially when compared with many areas back east including several allegedly progressive cities in the North. I heard the N-word used in public far more the few years I lived in SW Michigan than I ever have here in Arizona.

Also, I lived in Chicago most of my life before coming out here four years ago. There, you had white neighborhoods, black neighborhoods, Puerto Rican neighborhoods, etc, with one side of the street or the other being the border to a different neighborhood and very little mixing in terms of where people live. That's not the case in Phoenix. There are definitely some extremely white areas, but more often than not there is a sizeable Latino and white population with a handful of other groups all living side by side. Neighborhoods in Phoenix are divided by income levels far more than they are by race.

Most of the vitriol tends to be directed at illegals, and unfortunately, it means that a lot of Mexican Americans who are law abiding US citizens get lumped in with that. There is a real problem as far as many Arizonans lumping all Latino folks together in that regard, and I'm sure it's what largely causes Arizona's reputation in the national media right now. As with most things, the national media tends to exaggerate it and take it to a real over-the-top level, but the whackadoo extremists who protest in front of mosques and take it upon themselves to patrol the border in their own pickup trucks while brandishing AR-15s certainly don't help to change any perceptions.
Are you serious? The actually patrol the border in their own vehicles? Do they get paid for this and what do they have to gain?

Old 07-15-2015, 12:03 PM

445 posts, read 516,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Z16 View Post
Are you serious? The actually patrol the border in their own vehicles? Do they get paid for this and what do they have to gain?
There are several groups of civilian "militias" in Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas that take it upon themselves to patrol the border because they think the US government is either incapable of or uninterested in stopping illegal immigration from Mexico. They don't get paid, but their reward is whatever feeling they get from thinking they're protecting America. They're a very small minority of people who represent the extreme viewpoint on their side of the illegal immigration issue.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:38 AM

473 posts, read 670,099 times
Arizonians are super friendly. Especially comparing to Californians.

As for republicans, they are not against blacks, they are just against crimes. There is no correlation between crimes and blacks.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:20 AM

861 posts, read 2,192,899 times
Quote:
Are blacks (5-6% population) able to prosper in this Republican State of AZ with a government of LDS members? Is there a secret to this? I have read many posts and seen a few YouTube videos about AZ being a racist state. I play well with others but I don't do well with racism!
You have done a great job of stereotyping all Republicans and LDS folks as racist.

Very untrue and offensive.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:05 PM

Default Being Black in AZ. Is it possible to be prosperous in this Republican State?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
You have done a great job of stereotyping all Republicans and LDS folks as racist.

Very untrue and offensive.
Forgive my ignorance certainly not my intention.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
Arizonians are super friendly. Especially comparing to Californians.

As for republicans, they are not against blacks, they are just against crimes. There is no correlation between crimes and blacks.
Thank you.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:33 AM

861 posts, read 2,192,899 times
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance certainly not my intention.
All is forgiven....you sound like a genuinely nice person and I hope all works out well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona