Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 01:06 PM

6 posts, read 11,512 times

Advertisements

I'm a lifelong Chicagoan that has grown tired of the frigid winters. I'm considering a move to Tucson or Phoenix. I'm curious to know if people in AZ have a preference over the two cities? The only thing I'm concerned with is wildlife. (snakes, scorpions or creatures that I don't even know about) We don't even think about bugs in the midwest. I have a dog and a cat so I'm concerned about keeping them safe too.

What areas should I avoid? (because of crime, etc) I'm looking to rent initially but eventually hope to buy a home. Hoping to spend around $1200 monthly in rent. I can go higher if needed but really prefer to stay around there. It'd be nice to have a yard or dog park for my dog too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 01:52 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,968,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehouse527 View Post
I'm a lifelong Chicagoan that has grown tired of the frigid winters. I'm considering a move to Tucson or Phoenix. I'm curious to know if people in AZ have a preference over the two cities? The only thing I'm concerned with is wildlife. (snakes, scorpions or creatures that I don't even know about) We don't even think about bugs in the midwest. I have a dog and a cat so I'm concerned about keeping them safe too.

What areas should I avoid? (because of crime, etc) I'm looking to rent initially but eventually hope to buy a home. Hoping to spend around $1200 monthly in rent. I can go higher if needed but really prefer to stay around there. It'd be nice to have a yard or dog park for my dog too.
You have a job lined up or an industry in particular? I sorta live in both. They're very different culturally.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:20 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,960,478 times
Just watch out for the bears in Phoenix and you'll be fine. Usually I recommend people buy a gun, but coming from Chiraq I assume you have that covered.

Just read the many threads here and you will have answers to everything. Once you know some areas of interest google them, and on maps and you can get a feel. $1,200 should be adequate in most places.

Welcome.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:34 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,903,749 times
I'm certain you could find a place in either city that meets those few criteria you've listed. We'll need a bit more to go on. The 2 cities both have lots of positives, but are different in lifestyle and how far your $1200 will take you.

In the meantime, here are some threads to get you started:

//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...ix-tuscon.html

Pardon the horrific spelling of Tucson-
//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...s-phoenix.html

At first doesn't seem like it would be a Phoenix vs. Tucson thread, but it headed that way at the end of the thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ig-imo-16.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...-new-home.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...ix-tucson.html

Maybe this one would be helpful too-
//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...e-live-az.html

Old 06-19-2016, 09:54 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,307,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehouse527 View Post
I'm a lifelong Chicagoan that has grown tired of the frigid winters. I'm considering a move to Tucson or Phoenix. I'm curious to know if people in AZ have a preference over the two cities? The only thing I'm concerned with is wildlife. (snakes, scorpions or creatures that I don't even know about) We don't even think about bugs in the midwest. I have a dog and a cat so I'm concerned about keeping them safe too. .

The two things that you have not mentioned are:

1) Will you be working in Arizona or retired?
2) Will you need access to good schools?

Old 06-20-2016, 04:43 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,827,554 times
Moderator cut: .

OP I don't recommend small animals if you want to be near nature, coyotes will snatch them. The worst animal I think you could run into here would be a Gila monster, I've always wanted to see one in the wild but I haven't, they're pretty rare. The urban areas of both Tucson and Phoenix are pretty void of critters, I've never seen a scorpion in my house for the 20+ years of living here and a tarantula once. Back when I used to live in the boonies I used to see vultures and even a snake here or there. I live about two miles from Downtown here in Tucson and there's a hawk that loves sitting on my balcony I don't mind him because he chases the annoying pigeons away. Remember with insects here the smaller the more dangerous except tarantulas the larger it is the more fire you need to burn your house down. Luckily with the weather we are having it'll help.

Last edited by yellowbelle; 06-20-2016 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: quoted posts deleted

Old 06-22-2016, 08:42 AM

700 posts, read 920,449 times
This came out last week: "Inc. Magazine Names Tucson No. 1 for Affordability"

https://www.tucsonaz.gov/newsnet/inc...-affordability

As far as safety from local critters, IMO it is best to live in areas of established construction. If you live in new construction on the urban edges, you are going to encounter wildlife still trying to live there.

We moved to Chicagoland from Tucson. I always had good luck living in neighborhoods already established in the 1920's or so. Also if you live in the city you will have better services than far-flung areas in the county, such as water, medical, etc.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:31 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,720,998 times
Tucson has a nicer climate at a higher altitude with much higher mountains for your viewing pleasure. If it is to retire or money is not a concern , Tucson hands down. Take the Catalina Hwy up to Summerhaven and take in the views at Windy Point.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:40 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,972,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Just watch out for the bears in Phoenix and you'll be fine. Usually I recommend people buy a gun, but coming from Chiraq I assume you have that covered.
You do realize Dems banned gun ownership in Chicago, right?

OP, I would recommend Tucson. Its not as hot, has better scenery, is cheaper, and has almost everything you can think of, minus pro sporting events.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:22 PM

36 posts, read 49,773 times
Phoenix is more conservative, thank god because if Tucson ran things AZ would be just like California in all of the bad ways. There's good things about both cities though. I live a bit north of Tucson, where it's more Conservative in the says that I like, pro gun and such, but my first summer here I found two scorpions in my house. There are also bugs everywhere, especially at night. Tucson has way more wildlife, which I love, but that also includes scorpions, roaches, and other bugs. Not sure you would enjoy that. We also have a lot of coyotes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona