Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 03:20 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The thing I found most annoying about Tucson residents is their inferiority complex. When you tell them you are from Phoenix, the first thing they do is criticize your city. They say it is too hot or overcrowded or polluted. Tucson residents never had a nice thing to say about Phoenix. On the other hand, Phoenix residents speak highly of Tucson and call it a nice getaway with cooler weather and more down-to-earth people. And this inferiority complex extended to ASU. You could not find ASU hats, t-shirts, or other memorabilia in Tucson. It was almost a sign of petty civic pride to exclude ASU material throughout the city. Meanwhile, you can find University of Arizona anywhere in the Phoenix metro including Tempe. Tucson would also not televise a lot of Phoenix pro sports like certain D-backs and Coyotes games. I'm not even originally from Arizona. I have no reason to dislike Tucson. However, I began to get really annoyed with their insecurity after a while. It's like shut up already we get that you don't like Phoenix, can you talk about anything else?

It's clear that Tucson residents feel they have something to prove to Phoenix residents. Look if you guys like your city so much, why do you constantly compare yourself to Phoenix and it's residents. Just enjoy your city for what it is.
I tend to agree, and I think a lot of it is jealousy. There once was a time (100 years ago or so) when Tucson was bigger than Phoenix. Tucson has grown steadily over the years, but never had a booming growth period like Phoenix did. As of now, Tucson is barely the state's second largest city, and is in danger of being taken over by Mesa in the next decade or so. Tucson has not prospered the way Phoenix has: jobs or otherwise. Much of Tucson looks the same as it did 30 years ago. There's no real freeway system ... mostly crosstown surface streets, which creates a bad traffic situation. People of Tucson only have themselves to blame for why their city hasn't grown or improved much. I think they secretly want more of the amenities Phoenix has, but their inferiority complex & NIMBY attitudes result in resentment instead of wanting to make the needed improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Tucson and Albuquerque are very similar in a lot of ways. I prefer both those cities to PHX for having deeper culture , better weather and better scenery at their doorstep. Love the Catalinas and Sandias. As stated before...income and job opportunities is the main wildcard that keeps Phoenicians Phoenicians despite preferring other regions of the SW.
You're right about Tucson and Albuquerque being similar in many ways. El Paso is similar to Tucson as well. I personally wouldn't want to live in any of those cities for different reasons ... although I do think the mountains (Catalinas) near Tucson are much prettier than the mountains around Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 09:54 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,229 times
Phoenix is getting noticeably bigger in the form of too much congestion.

Crush hour traffic on the freeways is no better in the summertime despite what some people think, it's still a major headache getting to and from anywhere.

I think in some ways there's more congestion when it's hot because of more disabled vehicles, especially overheating or tires blowing out.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

Crush hour traffic on the freeways is no better in the summertime despite what some people think, it's still a major headache getting to and from anywhere.

I think in some ways there's more congestion when it's hot because of more disabled vehicles, especially overheating or tires blowing out.
For a long time, I thought the rush hour congestion was reduced during the hot summer months ... however, now I'm beginning to agree with your statements about how there isn't much difference this time of year. I was in northern AZ this past week, drove back yesterday toward mid afternoon, and every freeway I was on (I17, 101, and 51) was bumper to bumper. Luckily for me, most of the congested traffic was in the opposite direction of where I was driving, but the amount of traffic didn't seem to be lighter than any other time of year. Then again, maybe the freeways were jammed because people were trying to get away for the holiday weekend.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:55 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,736,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

This^^^^^^^^^ I thought I was the only one who noticed.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:58 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,480,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
IMHO Phoenix was too big 20 years ago, yikes !

Old 07-03-2016, 01:05 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,745,449 times
It's tough to name a successful city in the country where people don't think it's got or is getting too big. Compared to most major cities (4M+) I find Phoenix remains very livable in terms of congestion, cost of living, and crime (for the most part).

Old 07-03-2016, 01:25 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,480,793 times
But we need lots more higher end jobs on top of what we have now to populate the region even more some say.

People complaining about the crowds/we are "too big" now haven't seen anything yet if that comes to pass. Be careful what you wish for as often it's a double edged sword.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:11 PM

594 posts, read 700,014 times
Default I've been saying that for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Then they come here on City-Data complaining about snowbirds.
There is absolutely no difference between this time of year or any other time of year. It's just as crowded and congested. 5 million people is 5 million people anyway you look at it.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:19 PM

394 posts, read 343,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
There is absolutely no difference between this time of year or any other time of year. It's just as crowded and congested. 5 million people is 5 million people anyway you look at it.
It's better than 10-15 million (in half the space)

Old 07-03-2016, 08:18 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,834,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
We get almost 500k or so more people in the winter time because of snowbirds. Maybe it's 400k, but it's in that ballpark. That's a noticeable difference, especially on the hiking trails in town, but that isn't to say Phoenix isn't a "desert" (pun intended) in the summer time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area