Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 06:01 PM

8,280 posts, read 8,679,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't consider 30-50 minutes a reasonable commute, that's why I moved to the city
Too bad more don't do what you did. What kind of life is spending that much time in a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 07:11 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,974,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Too bad more don't do what you did. What kind of life is spending that much time in a car?
Living in Central Phoenix is great. Especially with the Rail.

Close to an hour in a car is nonsense, also unhealthy.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:33 PM

394 posts, read 343,646 times
*snip for brevity *

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
If people would stop getting into stupid accidents, craning their nosy necks at every stopped car on the shoulder, messing up traffic flow by weaving in and out of bumper to bumper traffic, and driving like they are on the verge of death from exhaustion during the afternoon commute, traffic here might actually flow better.
^^^ This in spades...

A vehicle collision 30 minutes prior - with all involved vehicles to the right shoulder - causing traffic in all lanes from rubber-necking drives me nuts!

I hope Phoenix doesnt have the 30 mph goofs with their face buried in cell phone with open lane in front for 1/4 mile... That drives me nuts too!

You are spot on with the reason for much of the traffic... You can move a lot of vehicles through any metro at a reasonable pace - so long as they all pay attention to driving and not the distractions.

One thing I love about Phoenix drivers (from what I've experienced) - is they (generally) drive with a purpose. Places to be & things to do, and lollygagging on roadways isn't a part of the plan. Love it! But it only takes one or two goofs every half mile to screw it up for hundreds of motorists...

From my experience - Phoenix is better than most - I just wish turn signals were used more often

Old 07-29-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Depends on how far you're going...

What kind of life is living on top of each other?... Everything is relative.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:50 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,646,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Depends on how far you're going...

What kind of life is living on top of each other?... Everything is relative.
Dense city living is going to be the way of the future, the sprawled out suburbs with single family homes and car dependency is unsustainable, it took huge gov't subsidies to build the suburbs of this country, the homes, the roads, the plumbing/sewers, and the utility lines. That is much more expensive per block with low density, and is going to have to go away at some point.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Haven't heard this one before
I'm guessing it's a troll judging by a brief glance of its other postings.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:18 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,558 times
Quote:
Dense city living is going to be the way of the future, the sprawled out suburbs with single family homes and car dependency is unsustainable, it took huge gov't subsidies to build the suburbs of this country, the homes, the roads, the plumbing/sewers, and the utility lines. That is much more expensive per block with low density, and is going to have to go away at some point.
Dense city living has become more stylish for singles but the suburban home is still the preferred residence for most families and will be for a long time to come.

It's always better to live closer to work but I can't imagine a family with children and pets wanting to live in a small dwelling in a crowded part of the city with no backyard.

Many suburban homes are newer, more energy efficient, and require less repair-remodel than the older dwellings that tend to be found in the denser urban areas. For people who have had unfortunate dealings with contractors this can make a big difference.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
We can agree to disagree... The difference between our views however, is there is no indication that suburbs are going away... Every big city with land around it is sprawling - and it's not stopping.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Dense city living has become more stylish for singles but the suburban home is still the preferred residence for most families and will be for a long time to come.

It's always better to live closer to work but I can't imagine a family with children and pets wanting to live in a small dwelling in a crowded part of the city with no backyard.

Many suburban homes are newer, more energy efficient, and require less repair-remodel than the older dwellings that tend to be found in the denser urban areas. For people who have had unfortunate dealings with contractors this can make a big difference.
To people who prefer single family homes, their wants aren't necessarily in line with whats needed, sprawl and sfh are only going to continue to go up in cost as land gets more expensive, unless we see some sort of exodus, and demand drops

Old 07-30-2016, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
We can agree to disagree... The difference between our views however, is there is no indication that suburbs are going away... Every big city with land around it is sprawling - and it's not stopping.
That is because people still supidly semand single family homes, again they are a much poorer use of resources, and require more infastrucure $/resident than an apartment or condo tower, plus they render public transportation basically impossible and force people to use cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area