Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 09:54 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,627,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Thanks, my undergraduate degree was in Urban Planning/Development, I know all about cities. I'm still not in any hurry to get on a bus and if gas goes to $10/gallon that is what I will pay
Maybe you will pay it, but many won't be able to, and then boom goes the economy. The median wage of $27k/year is not enough to cover gasoline over $6/gallon let alone $10

And why do you keep going to bus? I prefer rail transit myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 09:58 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,283,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Maybe you will pay it, but many won't be able to, and then boom goes the economy. The median wage of $27k/year is not enough to cover gasoline over $6/gallon let alone $10

And why do you keep going to bus? I prefer rail transit myself
I don't see gas realistically going anywhere near $10 anytime soon, have you followed commodities prices? At least make your scare tactics realistic. If you think it will, there's some investments you can make now to more than offset the piddly little gas price increase

Old 07-30-2016, 11:19 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
If somebody prefers to live in a box of stucco with a pile of crushed rocks for a yard in a sprawling suburban development, that's fine ... however, that kind of lifestyle doesn't appeal to everybody. The main thing that bothers me about suburban/exurban sprawl is the notion that it's cheaper living, when that's not necessarily the case.

Any way you look at it, we all end up paying for outward sprawl via our taxes in the form of more freeways, streets, sewer lines, public schools, etc. In the long run, it's actually cheaper to build in a more established area where the infrastructure already exists. The free market and individuals should decide what kind of housing is best, so long as everybody else's tax money isn't supporting their lifestyles.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:29 AM

394 posts, read 343,382 times
Quote:
Thanks, my undergraduate degree was in Urban Planning/Development, I know all about cities. I'm still not in any hurry to get on a bus and if gas goes to $10/gallon that is what I will pay
He'll still insist he's right and you're wrong... And despite the world around him moving on - he'll never stop the feet stomping...

Anyway - as the rest of us rejoice in the fact that we have choices, some will go to bed bitter.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
I don't see gas realistically going anywhere near $10 anytime soon, have you followed commodities prices? At least make your scare tactics realistic. If you think it will, there's some investments you can make now to more than offset the piddly little gas price increase
He doesn't understand what drives the price of fuel (or housing for that matter)... But he'll insist he does.

You make a good point about "investments"... If there was any merit to Firebird's theory - it would take a modest investment to see huge returns... Most people understand oil prices aren't driven by urban development, so he'd be in the hole... But something tells me even he knows it's all BS - but it makes for a good soapbox (even though everyone sees through the malarkey)

Old 07-31-2016, 01:08 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,024,319 times
The most aggravating thing is to have heavy walkers living on top of you. No more though, I bought a nice old 70s ranch home.

Quote:
What's not to love about common walls and hearing your neighbors use the can at 3 AM? Not to mention the smells of Indian food from the neighbors below and the domestic disputes from the angry couple . Yeah I'll stupidly take my single family detached home with a private yard and space between my neighbors. Darn I guess I don't get to ride a bus lol.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:06 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,627,183 times
People really get defensive about the status quo, having grown up in a house in the suburbs, it's not as good a way to live as people make it out to be. You have to drive everywhere, for the most part walking and public transit are out of the question, and that disadvantages the working poor and children the most (who either can't afford a car or are not old enough to drive, respectively)

The biggest thing is commutes, which get longer and longer, unless you are willing to pay more for a house than it's worth to live close in, as sprawl causes price inflation the closest to jobs and ammenities due to more demand than supply.

But, whatever, I'm wrong, apartments suck, public transit sucks, houses and long commutes by car are the best thing since sliced bread. You guys won, I lost. End of discussion.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:36 AM

^^^ it's not a win, lose thing... People can have choices - I don't know why you have a hard time with that.

I don't think anyone has a problem with you living in an apartment. You shouldn't have a problem with anyone living in a rural house.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:42 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,283,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
If somebody prefers to live in a box of stucco with a pile of crushed rocks for a yard in a sprawling suburban development, that's fine ... however, that kind of lifestyle doesn't appeal to everybody. The main thing that bothers me about suburban/exurban sprawl is the notion that it's cheaper living, when that's not necessarily the case.

Any way you look at it, we all end up paying for outward sprawl via our taxes in the form of more freeways, streets, sewer lines, public schools, etc. In the long run, it's actually cheaper to build in a more established area where the infrastructure already exists. The free market and individuals should decide what kind of housing is best, so long as everybody else's tax money isn't supporting their lifestyles.
What does it matter if the "box" is stucco, brick or block? In my case, the "box" is semi custom and not surrounded by a pile of crushed rocks, but rather lush landscaping, swimming pool, spa, outdoor kitchen and covered outdoor living spaces. The schools are A+ and since there's few good jobs in the urban core, my wife has a nice short 15-20 minute morning commute to Tempe from Chandler. Mine is even shorter to my home office. Rather than hearing sirens and traffic at night I hear waterfalls and frogs. People can stroll around the neighborhood at night without having to say no to the beggars/homeless. Sorry to shatter the picture you painted. Remind me again why I should live in the Central city? Is it for the longer commute, the decaying houses or the crime?

Old 07-31-2016, 08:53 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,966,873 times
Quote:
What does it matter if the "box" is stucco, brick or block? In my case, the "box" is semi custom and not surrounded by a pile of crushed rocks, but rather lush landscaping, swimming pool, spa, outdoor kitchen and covered outdoor living spaces. The schools are A+ and since there's few good jobs in the urban core, my wife has a nice short 15-20 minute morning commute to Tempe from Chandler. Mine is even shorter to my home office. Rather than hearing sirens and traffic at night I hear waterfalls and frogs. People can stroll around the neighborhood at night without having to say no to the beggars/homeless. Sorry to shatter the picture you painted. Remind me again why I should live in the Central city? Is it for the longer commute, the decaying houses or the crime?
Surely you know you don't fit the profile being discussed right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area