Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:54 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times

Advertisements

nitram bragged on Phoenix weather:

> Right now its 60 degrees, sunny, and scenic weather where
> the rest of the country is inundated with super bad weather.

As much as I don't like the heat, Phoenix pretty much has six months of perfect weather with another month on either side with perfect mornings and evenings, at least.

For the other four months, it's still pretty outside vs. the month-after-month of gloom you get in much of the country E of the plains.

Even in June when it can be 115+ degrees, it's almos always nice and comfortable in the morning. That can also be said of much of September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 06:55 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
I know, I know - what a stupid question. It's Arizona, of course it's hot.

Here's the story:

We just got married and when the Mr.'s family found out we were planning a move back out west (to the chilly mountains of CO), they lost their heads over it and, feeling particularly generous, I agreed that we could move to Arizona to be closer to them. I made a promise, I have to keep it.

The bulk of his family is spread between Tuscan (which is a smidgen too close to Mexico for me, if we have to split hairs) and Phoenix (which is a tiny L.A. I hear) so we'd maybe like something within drive-able distance to both or one or the other. But in the mountains. With snow. And not too hot.

Now, don't get me wrong, I KNOW it's hot. I grew up in Southern CA and we always visited AZ, NM, and TX, but there's those mountains, right? And some parts get snow -- so there's got to be SOMEPLACE in AZ that I can move and not hate every minute of it, right?

...Right?
Check out Summerhaven on top of Mount Lemmon in the Santa Catalina Mountains and towns of Oracle and San Manuel. All located north, northeast of Tucson. Tucson may be closer to the border but it is at a higher elevation than the valley of the sun (Phoenix). If you choose to live in any of those areas the proximity to the border may not even affect you in any way. Do your research online and if you can, spend some time here before you make a final decision.

Good Luck

Old 02-01-2008, 06:58 PM

101 posts, read 451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
It's never been 100 degrees in January in Phoenix.

I'll check my photos that are date stamped, but I really thought we took that trip in January...

My mistake, looks like it was March/April. Apparently I didn't take those pics with my camera that does the date stamp, but they're in my album just before the Easter photos for that year (my photos are all in chronological order...). That was 2004, I'm not sure when Easter was that year.

Last edited by Pippi333; 02-01-2008 at 07:09 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 08:06 PM

639 posts, read 2,711,411 times
Quote:
we went to the Phoenix Zoo in January one year, and could only stay for an hour because it was 100 degrees! If you want to travel, I wouldn't personally suggest getting out on those long desert highways in the Summer.

As much as I hate Phoenix, it never is 100 in January. Maybe early November or late March on occasion, but never December-Feb.

Last edited by uconn99; 02-01-2008 at 08:16 PM..

Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 PM

101 posts, read 451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
As much as I hate Phoenix, it never is 100 in January. Maybe early November or late March on occasion, but never December-Feb.
Please see post above.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Bisbee is a mile high, seldom gets much higher than the low 90's. Payson is nice and is fairly close enough to Phoenix.
Sierra Vista is cooler, may get in the high 90's for about a month or so. Nice monsoon season there, dittos for Bisbee.
And; Sierra Vista winters are comparable to Las Vegas ones as well; but as you stated, the summers are nice.

One big problem though: SV is about 10 miles from the Mexican border.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Yeah. Flagstaff. I've lived up there and it seems their summer highs never even reach 100.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Highest recorded temp in Flagstaff was in 1973 at 97 degrees.
Average Weather for Flagstaff, AZ - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 AM

643 posts, read 2,054,194 times
This is very strange. My idea of a nice summer is in the 80's. Tops. On a bad day. You guys are squabbling over WHEN it gets to be 100. The fact that it ever gets that hot is just nasty. How do you handle it? Don't you get cabin fever being locked up in your houses all day, afraid if you leave you'll instantly melt on the pavement? And it's not even like Arizona has a beach you can go to (not like CA).

Maybe we should just stick to Colorado.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
This is very strange. My idea of a nice summer is in the 80's. Tops. On a bad day. You guys are squabbling over WHEN it gets to be 100. The fact that it ever gets that hot is just nasty. How do you handle it? Don't you get cabin fever being locked up in your houses all day, afraid if you leave you'll instantly melt on the pavement? And it's not even like Arizona has a beach you can go to (not like CA).

Maybe we should just stick to Colorado.
My idea of a nice summer day is in the 80s as well. We don't have that here. Those of us who adjust do so because we accept things as they are and make the best of it - just like happy people do in whatever climate or circumstance they find themselves. If you can't make the adjustment and stay in your house hiding - be it from heat or cold or rain or gloom - you will be miserable until you move somewhere that suits you better. But climate is seldom the real issue with miserable people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona