Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:40 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,748,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
I know, I know - what a stupid question. It's Arizona, of course it's hot.

Right?
Interesting question, JillBoBill.

I relocated to Tucson ten years ago and, so far, have never experienced 110 Degrees. The highest temperature I can remember was about 103 or 105 but that was a one or two time shot only and definitely not the norm. Nothing like Phoenix and Palm Springs plus, due to the elevation and lack of excessive city structures, etc, the temperature drops considerably once the sun sets.

Good Luck on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,002 times
Default Info on Flagstaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Yeah. Flagstaff. I've lived up there and it seems their summer highs never even reach 100.
Power Surge Was wanting some information on life in Flagstaff. Is the cost of living as high as people say-did you like the community as a whole-were jobs hard to find. Any feed back would be appreciated Thanks dino-bone

Old 02-02-2008, 03:05 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting question, JillBoBill.

I relocated to Tucson ten years ago and, so far, have never experienced 110 Degrees. The highest temperature I can remember was about 103 or 105 but that was a one or two time shot only and definitely not the norm. Nothing like Phoenix and Palm Springs plus, due to the elevation and lack of excessive city structures, etc, the temperature drops considerably once the sun sets.

Good Luck on your search.
Tucson runs about 5-6 degrees cooler than Phoenix on peaks. So it needs to get to about 115 in Phoenix before Tucson hits 110. 115 is rare in Phoenix, normally occurring only during a couple days in June. When Phoenix set its 122 record in 1990, Tucson set their own too - 117! So it's certainly possible.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:20 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,329,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
This is very strange. My idea of a nice summer is in the 80's. Tops. On a bad day. You guys are squabbling over WHEN it gets to be 100. The fact that it ever gets that hot is just nasty. How do you handle it? Don't you get cabin fever being locked up in your houses all day, afraid if you leave you'll instantly melt on the pavement? And it's not even like Arizona has a beach you can go to (not like CA).

Maybe we should just stick to Colorado.
If you are anything like me, CO is your answer. Like Ponderosa has already said, some people can handle the heat, others can't. Unfortunately, I am one of those who can not. I live in Scottsdale. You have to be north of Phoenix for it to cool, like Flagstaff. It's not the heat that's bad, it's the SUN. So the poeople who can handle the heat, get up early and enjoy the day. Others like me, grumble about it. It's all relative, you know? Phoenix is NOT a bad place to live but the SUN can be very oppressive.
If you are standing in the sun here in Phoenix and it's 90 degrees, it feels hotter because of the cloudless sky. Now, if you go into the shade, it's comfortable. Being OUT of the sun is the big thing here. The heat isn't bad, it's the SUN. Many people like it because it's dry, however, there again, I differ. I prefer a bit of humidity, I'm not a big sweater, so for me, the humidity is a godsend. Like I said, it's all relative. But all in all, phoenix is a pretty nice place. Great shopping!

Old 02-02-2008, 03:58 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,099,423 times
Ponderosa informed:

> > Do you have a cite for that?

> Here you go:
> National Weather Service - NWS Phoenix

Thanks.

> ... I'm not saying it is not an oven here at times, ....

Whenever there is a new high for the year, I make it a point to go out for a vigorous walk about 3 pm when it is the absolute hottest. That way, I'm acclimating myself. I reason that if I exercise at 118 degrees, for instance, then 105 won't feel so hot.

I've also noticed that while 95 for a high feels hot in April, it's positively "crisp" in September when we have the first day of 95 for a low.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:27 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,329,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Ponderosa informed:

> > Do you have a cite for that?

> Here you go:
> National Weather Service - NWS Phoenix

Thanks.

> ... I'm not saying it is not an oven here at times, ....

Whenever there is a new high for the year, I make it a point to go out for a vigorous walk about 3 pm when it is the absolute hottest. That way, I'm acclimating myself. I reason that if I exercise at 118 degrees, for instance, then 105 won't feel so hot.

I've also noticed that while 95 for a high feels hot in April, it's positively "crisp" in September when we have the first day of 95 for a low.
Wow, what planet are you from? LOL Just kidding. Not me, 95 degrees is hot - in April OR September. Crisp - Pulease.......... FRIDAY (2/1) was crisp - I froze my little patooty off all day! Today was gorgeous - 65 and sunny.
To me, anything 65 -80 is perfect!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:48 PM

101 posts, read 452,517 times
Quote:
Pippi333 reported:

> > ... It's never been 100 degrees in January in Phoenix.

> My mistake, looks like it was March/April.

Earliest 100 degree day on record: April 6th, 1989.

Earliest 90 degree day on record: Feb 2nd, 1963

It is possible for the high temperature to be at least 80 degrees any day of the year.

Note that for Pippi333's March/April trip it is certainly possible that she was located somewhere where the temperature at that location on that day could have been 100 degrees while the *official* Phoenix high temperature for that day was 'only' 98/99 degrees or so.
Yes, at the zoo! Honest!

Old 02-02-2008, 06:16 PM

214 posts, read 1,311,337 times
Being here now for 17yrs I can only say that it's the first year that takes some getting used to it. You'll find that it's not nearly as bad at 100-105 as you may think. You work and lifestyles will quickly adapt to the needs and in a matter of a couple years you'll not even blink at 105. I don't even consider it "HOT" until we run 110+. Comfortable? No, but it's not like you walk around in it all day unless you're a roofer. And even then you start at 4 and knock off at noon.

Four seasons won't be found here in PHX. Three at best. But if you want the things you have here in the city you'll need to be IN the city. Moving to the other areas is both costly and timely. It's a matter of what is important to you.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,099,423 times
londonbarcelona went on a tear:

> Wow, what planet are you from?

Planet Phoenix?

> ... 95 degrees is hot - in April OR September. Crisp - Pulease..........

Wussy.

Seriously: Do you consider 95 in April the same as 95 in Sept (in Phoenix) after a summer of 110+ temperatures? Doesn't your perspective change?

Mine sure does.

Temps that leave me weak in the spring are nothing in the fall.

I *CAN'T* believe that I'm the only one! Huh?

Old 02-02-2008, 09:14 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,337,043 times
Quote:
Seriously: Do you consider 95 in April the same as 95 in Sept (in Phoenix) after a summer of 110+ temperatures? Doesn't your perspective change? Mine sure does. Temps that leave me weak in the spring are nothing in the fall. I *CAN'T* believe that I'm the only one! Huh?
Actually, I feel the exact opposite way. In the spring, I don't mind the hot temperatures so much because it means I can jump in the pool for the first time of the season, I don't have to wear any jacket at night, and after a somewhat "cool" winter I'm ready for some warmth. I also look forward to the blooming of the orange trees every year. By the time September and October (and this year, halfway through November) comes around, I am so literally burnt out from the heat, that I want it cool-- even the 90s becomes super annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona