Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 05:44 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,528,127 times

Advertisements

Not much info on here just some short old threads.

Looks like the grow Pistachios there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 06:51 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,507,348 times
It's a small, older cowboy town of about 2,500 people. We lived there for 3-4 years and moved away in 2010. Might move back in another 5 years when I retire. There's a Thriftway and drug store. There are lots of properties that grow various nuts there. It's in close proximity to Fort Bowie and Chiricahua National Monument, which is really nice. It lies about 80 miles east of Tucson.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:27 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,616,311 times
Quote:
Wilcox -What's it like?
Home of Rex Allen, Rex Allen, Jr, Rex Allen Days. Smaller town feel. Retirement vibe. Nice community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7xedmvJTzk

I Love You, Arizona written & sung by Rex Allen, Jr is one of Arizona's official State Songs!

Old 12-30-2015, 06:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 13,719,426 times
I lived in Willcox for a brief time in the 1980s. The weather is really good because the edge is taken off in the summers due to the altitude. The town isn't much but the backdrop is truly beautiful. I was too young to stay in such a small town then, but I'd love it there now.

In many ways it reminded me of an small west Texas town. At that time there was lots of cattle and some cotton. They were just venturing into apple growing when I was there.

I remember they had a little burger joint called Carter Burgers that were down right tasty.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:00 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,069,545 times
Carter's has been closed for a while now...

Willcox, like many towns across the country, has been suffering since the interstate bypassed most of town in the late 1960s....there have been earnest efforts by town leaders over the years to promote Willcox, but it's difficult....apples, history, Rex Allen, sandhill cranes among them.....some winery/vineyards stuff seems to be the present effort....and the usual interstate-interchange business exists out there....

very quiet Front St., next to the busy mainline RR tracks, has some historic buildings and some local business, but the Mercantile and other businesses have closed after years of valiant effort....Rod's BBQ and the espresso place, among others, soldier on.....

Willcox is in a great setting with year-round recreation all around....with the low humidity and being in a bit of a geographical "sink", day-to-night temperature swings can be close to 50 degrees....

look closely and you'll see a lot of charm and character....as said above, it does have a bit of a west Texas small-town feel - almost a "Last Picture Show" appearance

Old 12-31-2015, 09:06 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,434,821 times
If you love solitude, Willcox is the place. The town is nice, not busy except at the interstate exit.
The surroundings can not be beat imho.
Miles and miles of nature.
And the espresso place is my favorite place. Tom and Beverly run the place, She bakes two applepies every day, big huge pies and the sell in no time.

Going into willcox EB

Old 01-01-2016, 02:03 PM

812 posts, read 796,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
Carter's has been closed for a while now...

Willcox, like many towns across the country, has been suffering since the interstate bypassed most of town in the late 1960s....there have been earnest efforts by town leaders over the years to promote Willcox, but it's difficult....apples, history, Rex Allen, sandhill cranes among them.....some winery/vineyards stuff seems to be the present effort....and the usual interstate-interchange business exists out there....

very quiet Front St., next to the busy mainline RR tracks, has some historic buildings and some local business, but the Mercantile and other businesses have closed after years of valiant effort....Rod's BBQ and the espresso place, among others, soldier on.....

Willcox is in a great setting with year-round recreation all around....with the low humidity and being in a bit of a geographical "sink", day-to-night temperature swings can be close to 50 degrees....

look closely and you'll see a lot of charm and character....as said above, it does have a bit of a west Texas small-town feel - almost a "Last Picture Show" appearance
This is a good description! I really like Willcox, but it depends on what you are looking for. We thought seriously about moving there years ago, but I needed to find work and Tucson was too far to realistically commute on a daily basis.

Are you thinking of retiring there, or do you need to find a job? It would be tough to find work there I think.

It is a beautiful area and the agriculture is nice! I love that you can actually get apples there.

Do you have specific questions about the area?

Old 01-02-2016, 09:27 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,346,065 times
The town has some pretty interesting architecture but it's really suffering - with many, many businesses closed and boarded up. It's trying hard to find a way to be reborn, but so far nothing has really worked. It's kind'a sad.

Ken

Old 01-05-2016, 10:42 AM

656 posts, read 814,300 times
I have stayed there twice, en route to Chiricahua National Monument, then later Cave Creek Canyon. Wineries nearby.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:27 PM

5,767 posts, read 11,387,552 times
Does Willcox get much downwind air pollution from the coal burning power plant that is along the dry lake bed about 10 miles south on highway 191?

I've been to the area many times on short visits, mainly passing through on I-10. The nearby Chiricahua Mtns to the south and Mt Graham to the north are impressive.

I agree that Willcox does resemble Marfa, Ft Davis or Alpine way out in the Big Bend country of West Texas. Those towns are pretty remote, similar elevation and climate, mountains nearby, occasional strong winds, same grasslands and sparse vegetation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona